Ok OK but how do you guys feel about Harbinger?

• Members

I know how most of us feel about Behringer stuff but what about Harbinger? Noticing the letter differential, is the quality resemblance the same as well? I A-B'd a pair of Harbinger, their 15 inch model to the JRX 15 to me, I preferred the Harbinger over the JBL. The Harbs had more low end, less harsh, with a more well-rounded eq response than the JBL's Am I nuts or is this normal? I know I'm asking for trouble here...:facepalm::facepalm::cop::cop::blah::blah:

Thanks

DBR

• Members

I know how most of us feel about Behringer stuff but what about Harbinger? Noticing the letter differential, is the quality resemblance the same as well? I A-B'd a pair of Harbinger, their 15 inch model to the JRX 15 to me, I preferred the Harbinger over the JBL. The Harbs had more low end, less harsh, with a more well-rounded eq response than the JBL's Am I nuts or is this normal? I know I'm asking for trouble here...
:facepalm:
:facepalm:
:cop:
:cop:
:blah:
:blah:

Thanks

DBR

was it better than the Dr Fong PRO line too?

• Members

The only harbinger product I've really seen is the powered 15" that GC sold for $200. I would never buy those. Never actually used them but I would get behringer way before them, they looked and felt cheap, like toys. They also are not very powerful at all.

If you need to hit a budget there are better options, and if you can spend a little more then you can be much better off.

• Members

I have bought and installed a set of HX151's for a youth center. UNALSAKA is right on about the driver quality. One of the speakers installed had its HF driver magnet fall off inside the cabinet.

Had to uninstall the speaker and take back for exchange. Exchanged speaker has had no problems, but these things do not get moved around. I would not trust this speaker as a mobile PA speaker.

• Members

Nah, the Harbinger name has a fairly decent history in pro audio. However, this stuff is same in name only.

Absolutly correct. When Harbinger was in edition I, They were great speakers. I still have an old (circa early 80s) Harbinger wedge. JBL 22xx 15" & Renkus Heins high end driver. It still sounds pretty good. The company went out of business and was resurected some 15 years later (more like someone bought the name). Totaly different speakers.

Behringer wasn't even in business in the early 80s and if anything, it's the other way around (who's banking on whos name?).

• Members

Behringer wasn't even in business in the early 80s and if anything, it's the other way around (who's banking on whos name?).

Definitely not the other way around, either. It's not like Uli's ancestors took on his surname to emulate a small but reputable American box builder from the 70/80s.

• Members

Absolutly correct. When Harbinger was in edition I, They were great speakers. I still have an old (circa early 80s) Harbinger wedge. JBL 22xx 15" & Renkus Heins high end driver. It still sounds pretty good. The company went out of business and was resurected some 15 years later (more like someone bought the name). Totaly different speakers.

Yes, IIRC it was Mark Wayne's company from the SF Bay Area.

• Members

I have a friend who bought the 15 mains and 18 subs a couple of years ago. They were for his son's band and they performed ok. He recently sold them to a club I went to last night and in this small club they sounded very good. The club holds around 150 people.

There are a lot better out there for just a little more money, but they did ok in this club. Not sure about long term durability.......

• Members

I have a friend who bought the 15 mains and 18 subs a couple of years ago. They were for his son's band and they performed ok. He recently sold them to a club I went to last night and in this small club they sounded very good. The club holds around 150 people.

There are a lot better out there for just a little more money, but they did ok in this club. Not sure about long term durability.......

If they were using 15 mains (15? that's an odd number :>) & 18 subs for 150 people (that's like 1 mains box for each 10 people), Sure it probably sounded OK. Unless the acoustics were just horrible, that gives you a lot of options for placment & TONS of headroom. 150 people? the subs had to have taken up 10% of the floor space :>).

I'd still personaly opt for a few smaller higher end speakers but hey, if it works for them - Cool!

• Members

We own a pair of the APS15s and they're fine for the money. We use them as powered monitors and would probably get by using them as back up mains in the clubs we play (50 people dancing at any one time... and we have a powered sub besides, so they'd be HPF'd as mains).

We got them from GC on price match (with a Music123 deal) for $175/ea. incl. tax. They make a great rehearsal PA actually. I've heard the APS12s as well and might end up picking up a pair of those too if they go on sale to have monitors out front with a smaller footprint. They're light and louder than you'd think.

I haven't heard the passive cabs, so NC.

Local GC has a used pair of FBT Maxx6a cabs and just for kicks had them A/B one with an APS15... LOL! Not even close. The FBTs killed 'em... but the FBTs are also still $800/ea. USED.

Archived