what makes you different

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes you different

Hi all,
    Instead of standard mixing techniques,, what tips you think makes you elite from other people in same job.,

Okay I'll bite.

I don't miss the first four to eight bars of a solo because I'm obsessed with the kick drum (or the waitress, well maybe sometimes). In other words, a fairly good level of concentration.

But hey, I know that everyone that hangs out here has great concentration, so I guess I'm not special after all

Comment

I show up
      https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/VP...54678147927641

Comment

i'm special
        band status - "its complicated"

Comment

As a band - "We get it". When you play in public, you're playing for them. It's all about the best product you can produce, period! FOH mix takes priority over everything else. Given the venues and types of shows we do that means stage volume just can't be that high - minimal amps on stage, v-drums, and much time spent on leveling keyboard and guitar patches. Nearly every show we "tweak" something.

Production is such an overlooked thing. Plus all members of the group have got to be on the same page or it just doesn't work. No "sound guy" in the world can do magic to make it truly good if the band members have decided to just grip it and rip it or get a perfect sound for themselves on stage. I get so disappointed when I see, what I can tell are great musicians, but they just lost it in the execution. There may be better bands around, but we consistently end up with a superior product to nearly everything I've seen in small/mid size venues.
          PA: JBL PRX712, PRX718XLF, RCF 745-A, 522-A, 310A, A&H Qu-16
          Lights: AMDJ Dotz TPAR, Haze Generator, Chauvet GigBAR
          www.nextexitrocks.com | wedding band | Columbus, OH | VIDEO

Comment

Understanding the big picture and mixing accordingly.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Planning and communication are more important than any mixing technique imo.
              Digico SD10
              D&B V-series line array

Comment

i'm special

Reminds me of Dana Carvey, "Church Lady" on Saturday Night Live "Isn't that special"
                Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

satan?
                  band status - "its complicated"

Comment

i'm special

No, I'm special.

Although I'm good at what I do, there's nothing I can do that 100 other guys can't do better. I'm forever trying to learn from those guys.

A few things that keep me getting hired back to gigs, though:

Although you wouldn't know it from my posts, in real life I'm actually a nice guy. I get along really well with all my clients.

I'm cool under pressure and very adaptable.

I'm good at mixing a variety of different genres of music.

Comment

Hi all,
                      Instead of standard mixing techniques,, what tips you think makes you elite from other people in same job.,

Having a good "ear", and using it.

Mind you, I haven't learned to use the rest of my head,,,,, yet.
                      Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

I answer the phone, return emails. That's it...
                        www.rock-bot.com
                        Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Pants.
                          "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Bringing my wife makes me special...

YMMV.

Release your inner DJ... then you will begin to see.

Comment

Have you thrown some oil over her face and took a picture of it?

Your right, that is special
                              Digico SD10
                              D&B V-series line array

Comment

Working...
                              X