gain setting on QSC HPR122i

• Members

Hey all, this might seem like a dumb question, but I just bought an hpr122i to use for a monitor wedge; where do I set the gain on the amp? The manual just says "somewhere in the upper 14 detents" if I'm reading it right. Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

Hey all, this might seem like a dumb question, but I just bought an hpr122i to use for a monitor wedge; where do I set the gain on the amp? The manual just says "somewhere in the upper 14 detents" if I'm reading it right. Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

All the way up or full clock wise will give you full output with 0dbu input. If you have unity gain setup with you mixer/eq/dsp?/crossover etc when your boards meter reaches 0dbu on its output you will have full power.

Each click down it takes 1 more dbu of output from your mixer for the speaker to reach full power. Turn it down 4 clicks and it now takes +4dbu of input for it to reach full power. 6 clicks and it takes +6dbu from you mixer for your speaker to reach full power. (Should You Need that much volume).

The best way is have the speaker pointed away so you can see the back of it in testing and see how much input from you board it takes to get the limit light on you speaker to just start to flash red.

Of course the other answer is it depends on what you need or how you like to setup your gain stage. Should you be mixing unpowered monitors and how much input the amp driving them needs.

I have the hpr 18 inch subs and I believe the first 15 "CLICKS" in turning down from full volume equals 1 db down per click. After that it drops faster until full off.

Dooketwo

• Members

doesn't the 122i have a switch to be able to see the limit LED on the front?

Just me but I wouldn't want to be in front at full volume. Not for any length of time. Maybe in a dark room and 20 or more feet away.

In the K series speakers you can have the front led work as the limit light. Not the hpr.

Dookietwo

• Members

Amplifier output is driven by input voltage. So, where you set the amp gain is determined by the level coming from your mixer. A good place to start would be to have your mixer/console output in the range around unity (or zero, depending on your board.) Then bring up the gain control on the amp (in this case the amp module) until you have the level you seek.

Archived