Using Powered Monitors with Powered Subwoofer - Hookup Question

• Members

I've decided to put my own little drum monitor system together for my Roland TD-4S drum set.

I have a question about mating a set of Cakewalk (Edirol) MA-15D active monitors to a Polk Audio PSW-111 subwoofer.

The MA-15D monitors have a "To Subwoofer" output jack.

The PSW-111 subwoofer has an LFE input jack.

Now, from everything I've been reading, there should be no problem connecting the sub to the monitors this way, right?

The manufacturer's description says the following...

"In addition the MA-15Ds offer a Sub-Out port, to connect a sub woofer."

Full desription and pics here: http://www.cakewalk.com/products/hardware/default.aspx?Prod=MA-15D

This is probably pretty basic stuff to you guys, but I just want to be sure I get this right.

Advice and comments appreciated, thanks. :)

• Members

Anyone?

Buehller?... Buehller??

Well, the reason you're slow to get an answer here is because this is the Live Audio Forum and questions about your desktop studio monitors are probably better directed to the Recording forum.

Our idea of a monitor here is something like this:

ps_15_stage_monitor%27s_alpha_e.jpg

To answer your question, what you propose will work, however it will not high pass the signal for the monitors.

• Members

Well, the reason you're slow to get an answer here is because this is the Live Audio Forum and questions about your desktop studio monitors are probably better directed to the Recording forum.

Our idea of a monitor here is something like this:

ps_15_stage_monitor%27s_alpha_e.jpg

To answer your question, what you propose will work, however it will not high pass the signal for the monitors.

Thanx, but I'm using it for a live application, not recording.

Even though they're considered studio monitors, their not being used for that purpose.

• Members

In my experience, studio monitors do not work well in live situations...

but it seems like you might get better sound out of the right input (non LFE) of the sub. The LFE is more for the feel in surround sound movies but does not cover as much of the spectrum. It won't hurt to try both. Just be aware that playing live into studio monitors like that can possibly damage the speakers if you are not careful. Good luck.

• Members

Thanx, but I'm using it for a live application, not recording.

Even though they're considered studio monitors, their not being used for that purpose.

What purpose are you using them for? I think you will find that they are not loud enough for most live sound situations and as such you will have to be very careful about not pushing them too hard to compensate and damaging them.

• Members

Seems like it's off topic but judging by their power... ratings, those monitors weren't built for live on stage. In your living room yes, that would be fine.

Unless of course they belong to someone you dislike. Then by all means, take them out to a gig and blow 'em up.

If you try the sub out "port", lower all your levels (especially the sub's input levels if any) when trying this out. Then creep them up to your desired volume - or until you see smoke:)

• Members

Sorry, I meant "live application" for practice.

When I record with my drums I'll go direct-in and use headphones until the playback and mixing.

But my studio is somewhere else and I don't want to lug the big ass monitors from the studio to my house and back.

I forgot that "live" actually means an actual stage performance to most people.

I'm getting too old for that, so I just practice at home and play at the studio these days.

• Members

Okay, now that we've taken up 10 posts to establish that I posted this in the wrong forum, would somebody be so kind as to my original question with a simple yes or no??

As I said: Yes, it will work. However, you won't have a high pass filter on the monitors.

• Members

It was answered by post 6. Yes it will work but be careful with the volume. If you blow the speakers you were too loud.

I'm sorry, I was reading the thread from my cell phone and then responded when I got home a little while later without re-reading the info provided.

I guess what I'm tring to do here is make my own custom version of a Yamaha drum monitor set-up that's commonly used. But that system doesn't have EQ capabilities on the satellite speakers. The reviews of this system usually has the same complaints... that it lacks clarity and low end.

This is what I'm talking about...

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/YAMAHA_MS50DR_DRUM_MONITOR_SYSTEM.html

I'm just trying to put a similar type of system together, but one that will give me the abilty to dial in my own preferred sound. Unfortunately, the Yamaha drum monitor system doesn't allow that.

Hmmmm.... maybe I'm better off just getting some active/powered PA speakers. d6954bbe44b0aa08f2efed9c7284ce9f.gif

• Members

My drummer uses a Roland keyboard amp with his TD-20. Sounds great.

I've been considering a keyboard amp, but I still want stereo seperation for jamming with pre-recorded music.

Can you hook up a pair of satellite speakers to one of those things?

• Members

As far as not being able to EQ the satellite speakers and such, have you looked deep into the drum brain settings? I have the TD-10 and man you can do everything in there, including EQ, reverb, room mics, etc.

I imagine the TD-4 doesn't have as much customization but you should be able to do enough to get a sound you are happy with.

• Members

Okay, I'm following your advice here. I just snagged a Behringer K3000FX off Craigslist (only 6 months old with extended warranty) for only $200. It's basically a copy of the Roland KC550 that cost a lot less.

I'm picking this up tomorrow...

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-K3000FX-300-Watt-4-Channel-PA-System-and-Keyboard-Amp?sku=480783

It has stereo line-outs, so I can shop around and add some satellite speakers to it. I know, I know... Behringer is "bad" and "crappy" and all that. But there's 18 months left on the extended warranty, so for only 200 bones it's a pretty good deal and I'm covered if there's a problem.

Thanx for the advice. :)

• Members

I know, I know... Behringer is "bad" and "crappy" and all that. But there's 18 months left on the extended warranty, so for only 200 bones it's a pretty good deal and I'm covered if there's a problem.

Thanx for the advice.
:)

Nothing wrong with Behringer as long as you know the possible limitations and you don't use it in a mission critical role. This should be perfect for your needs.

Archived