Budget 31 band EQ - ART?

• Members

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than hijack the DBX/Rane/BSS thread...

Anyone have an opinion on the ART HQ231 EQ? I have DBX stuff and it works great for our FOH... but need to add 2 channels of EQ for 2 more monitor mixes that I expect will be prone to feedback (anticipating performer error) and was wanting to get something with FLS or FDC to be able to see things a little better mixing from stage and to speed ringing out the monitors. Really hoping to get a 2U unit as that's all the room I have left without going to a new rack.

Wasn't there a 2U Peavey dual 31-band with FLS?!? I could maybe do their dual 15 band with FLS I suppose... but I'd really like 31 band EQs all around.

Q1: Is the ART a P.O.S.? I've read good reviews elsewhere... but put more stock in what you guys think.

Q2: Would I be stupid to buy a discontinued Peavey unit... or a 215 instead of a 231?!?

• Members

I have two of them that I use regularly for monitor duty and have performed well for a couple of years. The feedback detection is actually rather quick and accurate. I do feel that they introduce a touch of noise to the system (noticeable only when you're listening for it), which is why they won't get moved to FOH duty, where I use a dBx 1231 instead. When I got my second one, one of the LED's was already burned out. Sent it back, had a replacement within a week, so no customer service complaints either.

• Members

I have two of them that I use regularly for monitor duty and have performed well for a couple of years. The feedback detection is actually rather quick and accurate. I do feel that they introduce a touch of noise to the system (noticeable only when you're listening for it), which is why they won't get moved to FOH duty, where I use a dBx 1231 instead. When I got my second one, one of the LED's was already burned out. Sent it back, had a replacement within a week, so no customer service complaints either.

That's good to hear... I might take a chance on the ART. FWIW, I have the 1231 on FOH as well. NICE EQ.

• Members

Any of those would work fine, except any of the 15-band units. DOD also has an inexpensive dual 31-band that's about $120. DOD is a Harman company, just like dbx (hint, hint).

What is it that you don't like about the dual 15 band? Obviously, you can tailor the sound better and really hone in on problem frequencies without compromising another, but is it really that critical to have 31 bands?

• Members

I have an ART HQ231 I've been using in light duty for a couple of years with no problems - the lights are cool, but I haven't really needed then. It does have a very slight bit of noise with no inputs and amps at full gain, not noticeable with any audible signal going thru. The ART has less noise than a much pricier Rane DEQ I also have.

The larger Ashly units have less (no) noise, and a better feel, but at a much higher price, both in $$ and size weight. I like the ART's for monitor duty.

• Members

I have an old art single ch 31 band GEQ. It sounds and works great. As a rule I like ART equipment from a performance standpoint but..............(and it's a pretty big butt (Opps but :>)), Art equipment always seems built to a very light duty spec. It's not that it's lacking percision but I don't think they use high end connectors, switches etc... For the rough & tumble world of SR, I'm not sure I'd recommend them for just that reason.

Archived