Two Monos = 1 Stereo?

• Members

Newb question here:

The mixer I use doesn't have stereo inputs for my synth. If I run the left and right signals out of my synth into two separate mono inputs in the mixer, would those two be essentially in "stereo"? (Just like as if I were connecting it to a single stereo input).

Obvisouly, it's more of a hassle to maintain the settings, effects, etc. on two channels rather than one, but having a stereo input is not a current option.

Thanks!

• Members

Assuming the stereo out is only stereo effects it does sound a bit fuller out front in the "sweet spot(s)" and "as good as mono" in the "not so sweet" spots. If it's a piano (maybe others?) patch it may have the lower to higher notes panned across the stereo image and that can sound bad as out of the "sweet spot(s)" folks are only going to hear the high notes or low notes depending on where they are sitting :freak:.

• Members

Yes. Just pan one hard left and the other hard right.

I wouldn't go hard left and right. More like 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Enough to give the stereo sound but not so much that people on extreme sides of the stage end up missing half the keys. The only reason our PA runs Stereo at all is for a Hammond B3 patch that needs the stereo space to really sound just incredible.

Archived