Monitor Mixer to FOH Mixer - IEM setup?

• Members

So, here's my next question.

We are a 4 piece band. We use an Allen and Heath MixWiz. Sometimes we take our own PA, sometimes we do not, this is a question about when we are NOT using our own PA. We are now using IEM's and we'd love to use them at every show. But not sure how easy that is? I understand how to do it when we are running FOH from our mixer, but not if we want to connect our mixer to another (FOH) mixer...does that make sense?

I've been told it's easy, but I'm not sure. Can we just take our MixWiz with the IEM already in the rack and somehow plug that into the venues snake to the FOH?

Is this possible? Do soundtech's like this? If so, I do not know how to connect our board to the FOH board? Do we plug all our instruments, mics, etc into our board? and then go direct out to the snake? This might be totally wrong??? I would love some detailed advice on how to do this, or if you can do it.

Thanks and please ask any questions as I am not sure I explained that very well.

• Members

It doesn't matter to me whether I am mixing wedges or IEMs, and personally I prefer the lower stage volumes of IEMs.

Assuming that the places you are playing generally mix monitors either from FOH or on a split, all you need is some way of taking those monitor mixes into your IEM rack.

Of course, that is a big assumption. In my venue, we have a stage split that the house band uses to mix their own iem, but I have to use unused channels on the snake if I want to send mixes anywhere other than the amplifiers for the monitor wedges (a rack in our basement).

You might also require additional channels for intercom or (in a really small venue) things that aren't going into the PA.

• Members

It is very easy to do this. We typically run sound from the stage. The A&H mixer, IEM transmitters, gates, compressors, etc are mounted in a rolling Road Ready rack. From there, we patch to the FOH amp rack and we're ready. When we play a venue that has a house system, we bring our rolling rack in, patch our monitor split to their snake, and we're ready (as far a monitor mixes goes). We (do) bring our own mic / stand / cable package to maintain mix and level consistency. We RARELY make any changes to our IEM mixes.

You'll need a monitor split. I suggest the CBI "EarSplitter". It's a rack mount split.

I just received one from CBI. They do VERY nice work. Let me know if you need specs.

Terry

• Members

You'll need a monitor split. I suggest the CBI "EarSplitter". It's a rack mount split.

I just received one from CBI. They do VERY nice work. Let me know if you need specs.

Terry

This is what I was hoping to hear! But, ok, a monitor split? Not sure what that is. We have our MixWiz and 4 IEM trasmitters connected to 4 Aux outs. our hope was to always bring our board with us, so we don't have to have major IEM changes, it is basically set up already??.

Typically, the venues run monitor mix and main mix from the FOH board. (not always but usually). We just want to be able to walk in with our board and say, we will use our IEM system and hear is our board. So, I need a Monitor Split to attach it to their snake that is running to FOH? Will we plug all of our instruments and mics into the MONITOR (our mixwiz) board and then the monitor split will plug into his snake so he can control levels for FOH?

Thanks so much for your help!

Tom

• Members

You've got a better understanding of this than you think.

The Earsplitter has 16 XLR jacks on the rack panel. You plug all your stage mic leads in to that. On the back of the Earsplitter, there are 2 multicore cables. 1 terminates at your MixWiz. The other terminates at the house snake box.

Your mics are split to two different mixers - 1 your IEM mix, 1 to the house guy.

Terry

This is what I was hoping to hear! But, ok, a monitor split? Not sure what that is. We have our MixWiz and 4 IEM trasmitters connected to 4 Aux outs. our hope was to always bring our board with us, so we don't have to have major IEM changes, it is basically set up already??.

Typically, the venues run monitor mix and main mix from the FOH board. (not always but usually). We just want to be able to walk in with our board and say, we will use our IEM system and hear is our board. So, I need a Monitor Split to attach it to their snake that is running to FOH? Will we plug all of our instruments and mics into the MONITOR (our mixwiz) board and then the monitor split will plug into his snake so he can control levels for FOH?

Thanks so much for your help!

Tom

Archived