Shure SCL5s or M-Audio IE 30s

• Members

Hey guys. I'm now looking into a good pair of in ear monitors for live shows, playing drums, and even listening to songs on my ipod, and I have my heart set on these too IEMs. Money is not the issue on either one so I would like to know your opinions on each one. I'm leaning towards the SCL5s because I'm more of a Shure guy, but I hear that you can replace the IE 30s cord if it breaks. I also understand that they are dual drivers which I like a lot. Let me know your opinions.

• Members

I have scl5's , they are pretty good way better than scl2. A friend just got westone UM2's , I tried them after using my E5's . Westones are more comfortable , better bass and overall clearer sounding. I will be getting UM2's . They are dual driver like E5's and about $100 less. Chords can be replaced.

• Members

I have used the E5's and now use the Westone

UM3x. They are a bit more expensive, but well worth the extra money, especially for critical listening. Much better separation, and crisp and clearer in all frequency ranges than the E5's (which I really liked before trying the Westones).

• Members

I'd try the IE-10 first. The pair I've got are sound very good, seal reliably, have replaceable cables, and are only $99.

I have these, too, and though I wouldn't recommend them to a drummer, you are right that it might be good enough for him.

I think drummers and bass players should always consider dual-driver (at least) earphones first. They generally are able to handle the expanded frequency range better than a single-driver system. It's not that they can't reproduce the frequencies - it's just that they have a tendency to get kind of muddy, comparatively-speaking.

Brian V.

• Members

My E5s are dual driver. I play bass and I haven't heard a single driver earbud that really gave me the bass sound I wanted. I haven't tried the IE 30s but I am completely happy with my E5s. There are a few triple driver earbuds out there, too. Not really sure if that is an advantage or not.

• Members

My E5s are dual driver. I play bass and I haven't heard a single driver earbud that really gave me the bass sound I wanted. I haven't tried the IE 30s but I am completely happy with my E5s. There are a few triple driver earbuds out there, too. Not really sure if that is an advantage or not.

our bassplayer , broke his E5's so he went with westone um2's. There is a big difference, more bass finally and they are more comfortable. I like my E5's fine but will definately get um2's next.

• Members

our bassplayer , broke his E5's so he went with westone um2's. There is a big difference, more bass finally and they are more comfortable. I like my E5's fine but will definately get um2's next.

Good to know. I broke my E5s, too. I snapped one of the ear tubes off. A little super glue and a steady hand and all is well.

Archived