I just need answers! Why isnt this Loud Enough!!!

• Members

I ask too many questions on here and i just need an answer! I will explain it all.

So heres the deal. I am a 17 year old that doesnt know a ton about pa systems but i know enough to know whats good and how to operate it well. Im in a 4 person band, and we have a semi hard hitting drummer, a 60 watt tube amp, and a 100 watt bass amp. This is plenty loud without micing.

We have a semi/decent pa system.

Were using 3 samson q6 microphones 60$ a piece, sound great!!

A peavey xr-800 powered mixer for the monitors, its very old and has some issues with channel b.

A peavey 8.5c for the mains, running in bridged mode 1200ish watts

Toa R-21 speakers for the monitors, With 4 5'' woofers in each. Sound great

Seismic audio 215 cabs with piezo tweeters. Very cheap but still ok sounding.

Im not understanding why my power amp is clipping out at the level it is. The eq is set flat, and everything seems right. It a combination of things? I dont know but im in need of a good working system fast, and im wondering what part of my chain is causing the problems. Thanks everyone for the help.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

blitzcw,

Your power amp is not rated to be bridged into a 2 ohm load. Go back to running one cab per side of the power amp. You are in great danger of damaging your amp.

That amp can push 400W into a 4ohm load which is more than enough for your mains, which are optimistically rated at 700 "DJ" watts. Sounds to me like there is a mixer in your PS head and possibly a setup issue.

Where are you located? A six pack can often buy an hour or two of time from a board member in the know.

How do you have all this stuff patched together?

• Members

...I am a 17 year old that doesnt know a ton about pa systems but i know enough to know whats good and how to operate it well.

Please take no offense, but what you state is only partially true. You are 17 and you don't know a ton about PA systems. If you really know what's good you would not be using the gear you have. You do know what's cheap.

The Seismic dual 15s are DJ speakers. Not very efficient or made for live music - especially loud live music.

How are you connecting the speakers to the amp? I don't think you are actually bridging. That amp will not bridge to 2 ohms. You are probably lucky you didn't set it up right because you would have most likely blown your amp and speakers.

We will be more then happy to help you but don't expect your Geo Metro to perform like a BMW.

• Members

blitzcw,

Your power amp is not rated to be bridged into a 2 ohm load. Go back to running one cab per side of the power amp. You are in great danger of damaging your amp.

That amp can push 400W into a 4ohm load which is more than enough for your mains, which are optimistically rated at 700 "DJ" watts. Sounds to me like there is a mixer in your PS head and possibly a setup issue.

Where are you located? A six pack can often buy an hour or two of time from a board member in the know.

How do you have all this stuff patched together?

I had crossovers installed to bring the load to 8 ohms a speaker. So then bridged mode was at 4ohms like required. I have the mixers graphic eq outs, "main outputs" going straight to the amps inputs. then into the speakers

• Members

I had crossovers installed to bring the load to 8 ohms a speaker. So then bridged mode was at 4ohms like required. I have the mixers graphic eq outs, "main outputs" going straight to the amps inputs. then into the speakers

What was it that Ben Franklin said....? Do you have an ohm meter?

• Members

Possibilities, off the top of my head:

Incorrect speaker load: Are you sure it's 8 ohms. Did you measure it?

Inefficient or ill suited speakers for the job.

Damaged amp

Faulty Speaker Cabling

Damaged speakers or speaker components

• Members

better speakers and/or more of the better speakers are the answer..after doing some learning.

Got any suggestions for some better speakers? I have a guy local selling some ev speakers 15''s, and some old sp'3 bins. Would they be worth a listen?

And im located in the howell area of michigan

Archived