Opinions of Bose L1 Compact

• Members

I brought this home from Guitar Center just to try it out. It sounds good (first PA ever), but I'm not sure if it is what I'm looking for. I will be doing the Coffee Shop gig, acoustic and vocals, and it seems like it would fit the bill. Anyone have experience with this setup?

• Members

The band I was in from 2000-2008 used the Bose system about 90% of the time. We had a massive conventional pro P.A. I was the bass player, and I had 2 of the sub units for my "stick". I am not a sound guy of any sorts. Overall, we really loved the system. We had plenty of volume and head room. We played outside to about 400 and was asked to turn down a little. We got good support from Bose. We had one stick go down and they shipped us a replacement in 2 days for no charge. (exchange) We ran v-drums, lead guitar, keys, bass, and 3 vox mics (mixer) thru 2 sticks and 4 bass subs. BTW, we paid for the system, we weren't one of the beta testers. The biggest problem we had, was that the stages were usually only about 10 ft. from front to back, and you really need the sticks behind you for the full effect, to use them as monitors. Like I said, I'm no sound guy, but I really did like the Bose system. YMMV. P.S. They are expensive little buggers.

• CMS Author

I brought this home from Guitar Center just to try it out. It sounds good (first PA ever), but I'm not sure if it is what I'm looking for. I will be doing the Coffee Shop gig, acoustic and vocals, and it seems like it would fit the bill. Anyone have experience with this setup?

You're the target user for this system. Whether you like it or not is of course up to you, but I've seen it successfully used by solo and duo acoustic acts for years.

• Members

I've used it for years with great success. It's the best sounding PA I've tried this far. Some people complain about low SPL and lacking specs on website. If you want great specs, check out those cheap kustom things, they have numbers that promise a lot!! :eek:

If you want high SPL, find some narrow spread speakers, as they can really punch a tiny beam of punch in the face of a few in the audience. L1 have great spread, and when I play out people in front can talk while those in the back hear me very clearly. I also find BOSE to have less coloring on the sound than many speakers, which some people don't like, they are quite flat curve response. If you are one of theose who must have a smiling face eq curve to listen to music, you'd better off with something else. Or get a graphic EQ... :lol:

• Members

I heard a little jazz trio using the L1 system over Christmas. Until that point I had not heard it much (other than a few demos), but I have monitored the threads here. I sat for over an hour and was quite impressed with the quality of sound. I can definately see the applications where L1 system would do just fine. It worked for this group because they were not trying for max SPL.

• Members

Keep in mind here folks that the OP is asking about the L1 Compact as opposed to the Models 1 or 2. Having just demoed a Model 1 and a Compact, I found that they are very different animals. Know what you're recommending.

Please continue. What is your opinion...

• Members

The short version is that I thought the compact was pretty weak and limiting as a system. However, it's you (and you audience) that ultimately has to be happy with it. Try it out on a gig. If you're able, you should also try out a QSC K series speaker as well.

• Members

Bose made the L1 compact to compete with the Fishman Solo amp. Personally I find the Fishman Solo amp to have a little bit better sound for an acoustic guitar. I think the Bose L1 Model 2 with the tone module and bass unit has fantastic tone, but it costs 3 times more.

For what you're doing the L1 compact one should be fine, but if you haven't checked out the Fishman, I'd go back to G.C. and give it a listen.

Archived