Budget PA question

• Members

So we all have been there. Trying to make shift a Pa the best we can to get the best sound we can on a budget. We always add things to get as we go a long and make more money which eases things up hear is my current system and issue.

The new band I have is not doing to bad on equipment from what we have pieced togethor. Here is a list of what we have.

~ 24 chnnel Yamaha Board

~ 2 JBL 18" subs

~ 4 yamaha concert Mains

~ 4 yamaha monitors

~ Dbx 2 channel 16 band EQ

~ 1 2000 watt power amp

~ 1 800 watt Power amp

~ Digitech Efx unit

~ PLenty of cable.

OK SO right now we are in the planning stages of possibly getting a crossover. Actually there is an argument in the band that its not a needed piece of equipment since the subs come with a built in crossover. I actually disagree and think this is a needed piece of equipment. Anyway Tell me if Im going crazy but what is the best way to hook this up. I mean optimally I would have another Power amp, which I am sure we will eventually get, a crossover and another EQ. But we dont have the cash for that at the moment so this is what we got.

At this point I am not worried about running left and right. My overall thought would be running pretty much mono to begin with. Im thinking keeping it simple stupid will be the best for the beginning.

• Members

No real reason to run anything but mono (in my opinion). If you run stereo and hard pan anything you are actually telling part of the room that you don't care about what they here. Seriously, the sweet spot (true stereo separation) is so small that probably 80% or more of the room won't hear everything.

Crossovers are needed (again, my opinion). Depending on how you wire the system, you are probably not taking the lows out of the top speakers. You are having overlapping frequencies and the sound quality will suffer.

I suggest

Board ---> EQ

EQ ---> Crossover

Crossover high out ---> amp for top speakers

Crossover lo out ---> amp for subs

In my opinion (probably shared by others) you would be best served running mono. Better distribution of sound and easier set up.

• Members

Thanks for your replys. That helps a lot. I am thinking I will bite the bullet and get one.

So here a question. Mainly because Ihave never setup a system like this this but is it possible to go.

Board - Eq

Eq - Crossover

Crossover lows - Channel 1 amp

Crossover mids/highs - Chanel 2 amp

Channel 1 amp - Subs

Channel 2 amp - Mains

This figuration includes Just 1 amp, 1 EQ, 1 Board, 1 crossover. Let me know your thoughts.

• Members

No real reason to run anything but mono (in my opinion). If you run stereo and hard pan anything you are actually telling part of the room that you don't care about what they here. Seriously, the sweet spot (true stereo separation) is so small that probably 80% or more of the room won't hear everything.

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread but I have a question about this statement. Are you saying just to go mono by just using the L or R output only? or just keeping the pan knobs at 12 o'clock? I would assume the latter, but my retarded brain is making me ask the question :confused:

• Members

Sorry to semi-hijack this thread but I have a question about this statement. Are you saying just to go mono by just using the L or R output only? or just keeping the pan knobs at 12 o'clock? I would assume the latter, but my retarded brain is making me ask the question
:confused:

He means just go from one of the L or R main output. Not both.

• Members

So, would you split the signal after that somewhere to get to both sides of the amp? Or just bridge the amp and daisy chain the speakers?

You would go from mixer to one channel of the EQ and into the crossover's mono input and split your signals using the low and mid/hi output. You would feed the low signals to ch. 1 of your amp and mid/hi signal to ch. 2 of your amp (or vice versa). Basically you would eliminate your panning capability as you only have one side (Left side in the diagram) of your output to work with.

Mixer L Output -> EQ Ch. 1 ->Xover (mono input)

Xover Low ouput -> Amp ch. 1 -> Sub 1 -> Sub 2

Xover Mid/Hi output -> Amp Ch. 2 -> Main 1 -> Main 2

Again, typically power amps can handle 2 ohm loads so if you have 4 cabs (2 subs and 2 mians) your speaker cabs have to be 8 ohm cabs for a total of 2 ohms. Anymore than that you'll need another amp.

For what the OP has, he definitely needs the second amp. I would put the 4 mains on one amp and the subs on the other amp.

• Members

So we all have been there. Trying to make shift a Pa the best we can to get the best sound we can on a budget. We always add things to get as we go a long and make more money which eases things up hear is my current system and issue.

The new band I have is not doing to bad on equipment from what we have pieced togethor. Here is a list of what we have.

~ 24 chnnel Yamaha Board

~ 2 JBL 18" subs

~ 4 yamaha concert Mains

~ 4 yamaha monitors

~ Dbx 2 channel 16 band EQ

~ 1 2000 watt power amp

~ 1 800 watt Power amp

~ Digitech Efx unit

~ PLenty of cable.

OK SO right now we are in the planning stages of possibly getting a crossover. Actually there is an argument in the band that its not a needed piece of equipment since the subs come with a built in crossover. I actually disagree and think this is a needed piece of equipment. Anyway Tell me if Im going crazy but what is the best way to hook this up. I mean optimally I would have another Power amp, which I am sure we will eventually get, a crossover and another EQ. But we dont have the cash for that at the moment so this is what we got.

At this point I am not worried about running left and right. My overall thought would be running pretty much mono to begin with. Im thinking keeping it simple stupid will be the best for the beginning.

Crossover is definitely a necessity and I would even upgrade to a 31-band eq rather than the 16-band EQ.

• Members
Crossover is definitely a necessity and I would even upgrade to a 31-band eq rather than the 16-band EQ.

That is the plan. I might spring for the EQ sooner than later. But yeah eventually we will be adding more when we have some gigs. Like a 31 band Eq and more amps to drive the speakers.

• Members

Again, typically power amps can handle 2 ohm loads so if you have 4 cabs (2 subs and 2 mians) your speaker cabs have to be 8 ohm cabs for a total of 2 ohms. .

The load would only be 2 ohm if all four 8 ohm speakers were connected in parallel to a single channel of the amp.

2 x 8 ohm subs wired parallel and connected to a single channel will give a load of 4 ohm. The mains will then do the same on the other channel.

An amplifier quoted as supporting a 2 ohm load is capable of powering 2 ohm per channel i.e. (wired parallel) 2x4 ohm per channel (or 1x2 ohm, 4x8 ohm etc ).

Archived