Really challenging spaces

• Members

So, are there any spaces you guys kind of dread working in? Spaces that you haven't quite conquered the weird acoustics in? Or maybe the crew there is impossible to work with, or the logistics of loading in are totally ridiculous. But you still work there, cuz hey, it's work. And some of us like a challenge...

I'd like to hear some of your horror stories. This thread was spurred by a call from one of many Yale organizations we work with to do a comedy show in my least favorite indoor venue, Woolsey Hall.

woolsey_hall.jpg

There's probably still reverb trails floating around in there from the last show we did in there about a month ago. The hall was designed around the organ which sounds phenomenal in there. If anybody has an organ rehearsal, you're scheduling around that. Orchestras and choral music also sounds great. However, any kind of amplified music introduced into this room is recipe for disaster. Also spoken word, unless spoken very loudly, clearly, and slowly gets swallowed up if there is any other competing noise in the room. They used to do rock concerts in there on a regular basis in the 60's and early 70's. The word cacaphonous comes to mind. To boot, the stage is ever so slightly raked, so anything on wheels needs to be chocked and the load in is a very long push.

We've now done everything from US Presidents to hip hop in this room. For better or worse, we're now known campus-wide as THE go to guys for sound in this venue.

• Members

I bet it sounds AMAZING for choral/orchestral/unamped recitals thought!!

Looks like the ideal space for a low-volume distributed audio system to try and get as much direct sound on the audience as possible. Of course doing this without ruining the visual appeal would be very difficult, but that's why they pay you right? ;)

Archived