Powered Speakers in Parallel

• Members

Hi All. I have a question about running powered speakers in parallel. I run my system mono and I know I can run 1 XLR from one speaker to the other, but instead of doing that I would like to run 2 short xlr's from the speakers back to the front of stage and tie the those together into 1 cable. What kind of "wye" cable would I need for this and would there be any problems with doing it this way, Thanks for any info,

• Members

1 female to 2 male XLR Y, also called a splitting Y. There is no problem doing this.

Note to others following this, a combining Y is different (1 male and 2 female)should not be used unless you know for sure the impedances involved, and exactly how the sending circuit works to avoid excessive distortion or possible emittion of magic smoke from one of the sending devices.

• Members

There are splitter type cables or you can make one yourself. What is your reason to do this. I see running a single cable to the closest speaker and another cable between the two speakers as easier then what I think you are looking to do. You can run a single speaker cable to front/center, attach the "Y" and run two cables to the speakers but I can't see any advantage, at least for my view of this.

• Members

Thanks for the reply's, yes I put the stage box in the center and some places we play its a long run between speakers. Also I run sound from stage so the mixer is behind me. I just wanted to run 2 shorter cables from the speakers, to the center and then one to the back the the rack through the snake. Thanks again, for the quick responses.

Archived