IYHO... What is the best mic you've used for a vocalist in a live application?

• Members

I get that different people need different mics, but if you're a sound guy with limits on cash, and lets say you can purchase ANY MIC UNDER $500. But that is the mic that you have to use on every singer every night... what would it be?

Probably e835's or SM58's. Why? 1) Uniformity - it's bad practice to mix different types of vocal mics in different wedge mixes. 2) Price - You'll be able to get 5-6 mics within that $500 tag range. To be honest, I would prefer the e835's, but it's really easy to sell people on the namesake of the '58.

• Members

In every situation where its been 58 or above the PA has been of pro quality and properly run. And because it's been setup correctly I can't say the mic has made that much difference. I know I have a bad night ahead if I see Audix OM7 (example) and behringer floor monitors.

In my own experience running sound, I know and other do too what to expect from a 58. Lately I've been using Audix OM2's as well. These are more just basic good mics, having a bunch of beta 57s or 87s would be great but I feel the money could be best spent elsewhere. Same for DIs too.

• Members

am i being overly paranoid?

I was only on the sidelines, but that was my first thought. The similar name to our fearless leader and all that. Next I'll be checking over my shoulder for Area 51 refugees:)

Oh yea, best mic is the one that works for that singer. If I could only choose one it would be the Shure Beta 58, although this is not my favourite mic.

• Members

I get that different people need different mics, but if you're a sound guy with limits on cash, and lets say you can purchase ANY MIC UNDER $500. But that is the mic that you have to use on every singer every night... what would it be?

Probably an SM-58. It's just the best starting point, even when I've got a box full of other mics that cost more. The SM-58 sounds pretty good on just about anybody, and everybody who's been a musician professionally knows what to expect from that mic.

Beyond that, but still in the inexpensive realm, the SM-86 is a nice condensor. The CAD C195 if you want something similar for under $100. I don't tend to like the peakier mics such as the Beta vocal mics, though.

• Members

There's also the aspect of being practical. If it's for YOU then finding "the perfect mic" might be a worthwhile endeavor. If you're providing sound reinforcement though and on a modest budget, stick with quality, but not overly pricey, all around mics. I just hate seeing a sound provider with low end MI grade speakers, amps and rack gear, but a case full of $150+ microphones. What's the point?

Archived