Guitar mic question

• Members

I have an e609, but haven't used the more expensive model. I HAVE used an SM57 and a Sennheiser MD421d.

I think that the e609 is much better than an SM57. It is close to as good as the much more expensive MD421 and has the advantage of picking up much less stage noise and is less likely to feed back (I have had times where the MD421 was picking up stage noise from the other guitarist and one time where it would feed back on the low end if turned up too much).

If your stage volume is under control (mine is now that I have a drummer with V drums), the MD421 is a little better, but honestly, you would have to really listen hard to a recording to tell the difference ..... so for the money you can't beat the e609 IMHO.

• Members

I use an e906 3-4 nights per week on a 50 w 2 x 12 combo. Great mic. Best one I've used for live miking a guitar cab. Ever.

The next closest would be a Beyer Dynamic M88, but they are over $500 each, and they don't lay flat against a cab screen like a 906 will.

Great mic, very open sounding and responds well to EQ - vast improvement over the 609 and a Shure SM57 isn't even close in most comparisons.

Recommended !

• Members

Huh, the sennheiser site has the e606 listed as their "guitar cab" mic. Is this an update or just a re-badge of the e609?

Anyways, the e609 and e906 are both fantastic mics. The e906 costs more and has a metal housing, whereas the e609 has a plastic composite one. These differences translate across all the 600 and 900 series mics.

• Members

The 906 sounds much more natural than the 609S. I like both, but prefer the 906.

The Audix D4 (used) is also a nice mic.

I switched from the D4 to the M1244 a few years ago - a little smoother.

I'm currently using the Heil PR40 in addition to the M1244.

• Members

The 906 sounds much more natural than the 609S. I like both, but prefer the 906.

The Audix D4 (used) is also a nice mic.

I switched from the D4 to the M1244 a few years ago - a little smoother.

I'm currently using the Heil PR40 in addition to the M1244.

For what kinds of gigs???

• CMS Author

I have and use 57's. I am looking at a mic to leave at the practice shack so I can get a bit of a low volume guit. amp in the monitors. I like the no stand, little space capabilities of the mic, and wouldn't mind trying something else.

The 609 sounds like a good choice then.

For another no-stand option, simply drape the -57 over the cab. Some prefer the slight difference in response you get my having the mic in this orientation.

• Members

The 57 is a great mic for some guitar cabinets too.

I find it best on older more vintage type cabs.

For example, I have a 2x12 that has Celestion greenbacks- Sounds great, mic'd right in the cone. Tone coming out of the mains matches with what's coming otu of the amp.

For a Cab w/ Vintage 30s, the 57 sounds too buzzy, so one has to go to a smoother mic, with less upper mid response.

Todd A.

• Members

it really depends man. I've used 57s and e609 on my Mesa and both have their pros and cons.

Personally I could do either but I'm using the e609 right now. One thing that's great about it is the way it handles bleed. It's SO GOOD at cancelling out noise from other sources than what it's pointed at.

• Members

Haven't seen ANY of these kind of gigs on your audio calendar... in a couple of YEARS. Are you really doing these gigs or just thinking about them?

Doing them, but not as many as I'd like since I retired the rig to the theater three years ago - we do a lot more "theatrical" than we do "bands". When I'm just a helper I often take some of my mic kit, but don't always get around to putting the gig on the calendar. Plus I try not to have anything on the calendar that's more than a month old.

Archived