Got a Peavey 16FX - wow

• Members

Hey, everyone. Well, after much discussion and some advice from the good folks here, I selected and acquired a Peavey 16FX. Got it used off the 'Bay for a rather good price.

Well, this is one pretty cool piece of gear, especially for the $ involved. The choices had been narrowed down to either a 16FX or an 01V, but, in the end, I was able to get the 16FX cheap used. Now I need to read the manuals tonight and test all the aux sends tomorrow. So far, every input works and the unit seems ok.

A few Qs for the more FX savvy folks out there:

- This unit has the 1.33 kernel; do I need to upgrade any software or firmware on this unit?

- What pop-up rack would you recommend for this unit? I just need 6U or so for an EQ or two for the auxes and a power amp or two.

- when I played an MP3 file from a memory stick in the USB port, it seemed to play it a bit too quickly. Is this normal?

Oh, on a side note, when I went to Peavey's web site to look for documents, I noticed one of the pics on the page was for a powered version of the 16FX:

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116191/16FX%E2%84%A2.cfm

Thanks!

• Members
Oh, on a side note, when I went to Peavey's web site to look for documents, I noticed one of the pics on the page was for a powered version of the 16FX:

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116191/16FX%E2%84%A2.cfm

Yah, I'm pretty sure Peavey has someone on the payroll who's job is to bugger up each of their web pages :facepalm:.

• Members
A few Qs for the more FX savvy folks out there:

- This unit has the 1.33 kernel; do I need to upgrade any software or firmware on this unit?

Looks like that's the current firmware on their website.

when I played an MP3 file from a memory stick in the USB port, it seemed to play it a bit too quickly. Is this normal?

Yes - they licensed the playback code from Alvin and the Chipmunks :thu:. Is the pitch off or just the speed ?

• Members

The kernel is not the same as the firmware. The firmware version is V1.30. Press the USB button to see the version. The latest updates were to allow it to work with Vista/7 and to work with bigger/more jumpdrives.

You need to convert your MP3's sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz. That gets rid of the chipmunks.

They just redesigned the FX webpage and an old pic got mixed in. I already sent them a note, maybe it'll be fixed soon.

• Members

You need to convert your MP3's sample rate from 44.1kHz to 48kHz. That gets rid of the chipmunks.

:eek:

They do document that in the manual addendum.

They just redesigned the FX webpage and an old pic got mixed in. I already sent them a note,
maybe
it'll be fixed soon.

;)

• Members

Just to be clear, would I be pgrading firmware or kernel?

I think Soundman answered that for you...the FW (and he would know).

The kernel is not the same as the firmware. The firmware version is V1.30. Press the USB button to see the version. The latest updates were to allow it to work with Vista/7 and to work with bigger/more jumpdrives.

They just redesigned the FX webpage and an old pic got mixed in. I already sent them a note, maybe it'll be fixed soon.

• Members

I think Soundman answered that for you...the FW (and he would know).

Sorry, the sentence grammar from Soundman was not clear.

Thanks to all for your help and assistance. I finished testing the mixer yesterday and everything works just fine. Now, I need to spend a few hours creating some effects presets that are useful to me.

Now, off to the 'bay and CL to find me suitable racks for the new mixer and my power amps.

• Members

Sorry, the sentence grammar from Soundman was not clear.

Thanks to all for your help and assistance. I finished testing the mixer yesterday and everything works just fine. Now, I need to spend a few hours creating some effects presets that are useful to me.

Now, off to the 'bay and CL to find me suitable racks for the new mixer and my power amps.

try www.audiopile.net and avoid the surprises regarding rack suitability and quality. There's a lot of real junk racks on bay and CL

• Members

I couldn't recommend this board to anyone.

Venue i do a lot of work has one. Used it last night infact.

Firstly, in soundcheck the desk went insane and outputted something close to white noise - but much worse. Turned off / on again and was okay.

Then during the show the inserts on the first few channels failed.

Desk has been in repair twice in the space of 18 months (First time was for failure of the DSP, second time the main outs broke).

Could just be from a dodgy batch, but still.. The fact remains that the only two companies I've ever had reliability problems with are Behringer and Peavey.

• Members

What version of firmware are you running? The last time we updated it, the programmer told me he found some obscure bugs that could cause the code to "break". Sounds like what happened to you.

I can't explain multiple inserts failing, especially simultaneously. Has it ever happened before? Dirty contacts maybe?

• Members

If you don't mind my asking, what did you end up paying for it?

$$320. Unit is used with some tape residue and light rack rash.

I'm an engineer, not an English major...

That may be so, but you are also a big help to folks like me trying to do the right thing in regards to audio stuff. Thanks again.

BTW, I updated the firmware to 1.30 with no problems, so it looks like my mixer is patched up to date.

I can't wait to try this on a gig sometime soon. Anyone want to buy my old EMX 5000-12?

• Members

$$320. Unit is used with some tape residue and light rack rash.

Yeah, I bid up to $315 on that auction. It wasn't marketed well in the heading, just "Peavey analog mixer" (a good thing!), nowhere in the description did it mention that it was an FX16 and not some beginner board or 80s antique. You got a great deal! Sorry I probably cost you a little more by bidding towards the end....

Archived