Are loud monitors the key?

• Members

As a singer, I want to attempt more of the harder (higher) tunes (i.e, Journey, Queen, Zeppelin,etc). Is the secret to have blastin' monitors back on me so the vocal effort is minimal and the fader on the vocal channel maxed out before feedback and "back-off" the mic when "normal". I know i can reach the levels required but i don't want to blow the voice either. Basically, what I'm asking is, should the vocal channel be high as possible without feedback and backing off the mic to compensate for this so has to not overpower the instruments? I hope this is clear.

• CMS Author

No. You should be up on the mic at all times except a "trail off" vocal effect. Adjust your dynamics and your channel level to meet the level the song requires. Backing off the mic changes the response pattern of the mic, and lowers the gain before feedback.

Never run the rig right at the edge of feedback. That's asking for trouble, especially if anyone cups a mic, moves too close to a speaker, or the stage volume increases, which happens to many bands as the night progresses. Have enough rig to handle the maximum and then some, and back off that for normal performance.

Your monitor should be sufficiently loud to hear yourself, but no more. Feedback is usually much more difficult to control on minitors than FOH, so this is often self-limiting. IEM's solve that, but in both cases you want no more volume than needed to hear pitch and to cue the band. Anything more simply hastens hearing loss.

• Members

The vocal in the monitor should be loud enough for the singer to hear clearly but not overwhelming. It's really a matter of personal taste. In ear monitors will give you the most control and likely make it easiest to monitor your vocal. As a singer, I still prefer the freedom of a stage monitor (so long as it's fairly hot for my vocal).

• Members

I've mixed monitors for a lot of acts, and sometimes it's scary how much level these guys are asking for.

Afterwards they come up and to me and rave about how great the monitors were... how the hell can you hear ANYTHING when they're coming back at you at 140dB? I don't walk on stage anymore without earplugs.

Archived