PRX512M question

• Members

I just picked up a pair of PRX512's to use for monitor duty. I've never had powered speakers until now and I'm wondering if what they're doing is normal. When I hook everything up and power them everything is fine and they produce very little noise when "idol". On the back of the speakers the gain is set at the 4db range, line input, and monitor eq. Although, when we speak into the mic or pick a note on guitar there is a small amount of "noise" accompanied with that input sound. It's not a buzz or crackle, hard to explain but just a rise in speaker noise. It's not something that would ruin a gig, but I'm wondering if it's a problem. Signal chain is MixWiz3 to EQ to 512's. I've tried a couple different guitars with and without DI boxes, different cords, and going straight to the speakers from the board to try to eliminate any other problems but the noise persists. Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Tim

• Members

I've got the same exact issue, and went to great lengths trying to figure out what the deal is.

My description of the problem is that it sounds like a noise gate opening and closing, and it's really a problem at very low volumes since it will actually cut into your signal.

As far as I can tell this is by design, and it wouldn't be a problem at "gig levels" (We use ours for FOH). I do occasionally use these for vocal monitors at practice and the opening/closing/rising/falling of the hiss does drive me a bit nuts...

I like these speakers alot for our small rock and roll gigs, but I don't know that I could use them for monitors, or use them in a quieter setting. (I'm actually debating whether I need to RENT a system for my in-laws anniversary party... They asked if i could supply some music for a dinner party of around 50 people, and I don't know if my system will be able to get loud enough to bypass the "gate" threshold).

• Members

The gate threshold is very low, at least the ones I tested. Generally the background noise of open mics on a stage will be enough to open things up.

Maybe there is some variation in this though, butthe ones I tested seemed to work well even for low level background music.

• Members

I noticed this exact same issue when i was looking for new speakers about 2 years ago. It was actually the reason i crossed them off my list. If you are using them as monitors i doubt it will matter. It bothered me since i was going to be using them for spoken word and found it annoying. Hopefully JBL makes the noise gate defeat-able on the next model.

• Members

As stated, your speakers aren't producing much noise when IDLE because they're not producing anything that isn't being slapped down by the noise gate. You might just be hearing the ambient noise apparent with a mic (as suggested), or you might have a bit of a buzz in your system. It would be hard to tell without getting the gate to stay open.

Maybe playing some music at a low volume will allow the gate to stay open. Then you can listen for ground loop hum or excessive hiss, and try and correct the problem - if there is any.

It's kind of like watching some of the old movies where there's no ambient noise until someone speaks, presumbably because someone has tried to clean the noisy audio track up with a noise gate.

• Members

I own a pair and found the same thing. It's the noise gate.

I've used both speakers at very low volume playing acoustic and never had any problems with it in a performance environment.

I did have a problem when I tried using one of them as a monitor for practice very late at night at whisper quiet volumes playing keyboard. That's how when I first noticed the gate. I now use a different cabinet for late night practice if I want insanely low volumes.

• Members

Just for my clarification, I have used the PRXs only as monitors at home for jamming with a mic plugged right into them. I heard the gate. Does this mean that I didn't have the PRX's anywhere near their possible volume level or does it have nothing to do with that?:confused:

• CMS Author

Hearing the gate open indicates that your ambient level is below the threshold, and your playing threshold exceeds it. The noise you hear when it opens...a hiss or whatever...is the noise floor of your complete system. If your system was quieter, or the room was noisier, you might not hear that noise, or the gate would be open all the time, so the noise would be constant. None of this indicates a defect, although if your gig is playing soft music in quiet rooms (say, a chamber group) the change in "quiet" could be disruptive to some listeners. For the average or dare I say, majority, this is not a problem.

Archived