Just another "which sub?" thread...

• Members

Here's a good one for you guys:

I've got: Small PA with everything powered except for subs, which are homemade 500W "just ok" subs...

I want to get rid of amps and crossover and maybe get a single subwoofer that could:

- Keep up with a pair of RCF322a's, preferably having some headroom left if needed.

- No need to go very low.

- Have a full, quality crossover.

- Be fairly portable.

- Around 1000 bucks.

I know that's kind of asking a lot, but I'm sure there's something out there for me.

Thanks in advance! :thu:

• Members

QSC HPR181 or HPR151

JBL PRX718S

Yorkville LS720p

I've heard the 151 several times and don't think it'd do it. Maybe the 181 but it's on the heavy side.

Curious to try the other ones... Does the Yorkie has a full crossover?

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Members

The Yorkville does not have a full crossover AND what it does have, frankly blows (I own a pair of ES700P's).

The 322A's are decent speakers and what we use for our monitors. One smallish sub is likely not going to "keep up" as far as being appropriate for a full on "dance band" or any kind of heavier genre. One 720P will not (2 will though). One will help fill out the bottom end and be better than nothing. Will it be better than 2 of you're homemade subs? Who knows. The PRX718S will probably be your best bet.

• Members

I've never tried a single LS-720 with my NX55p's, but a pair certainly more-than keeps up with those tops. In fact, I've only run them once at +3dB, with the low-frequency roll-off engaged on the tops, and they didn't even break a sweat. I've never seen the limit lights. Sounded surprisingly clean and tight for such a small box. Sounded a helluva lot better than a lot of 18" subs I've heard.

Bob

• Members

I think you will have to stretch the budget a bit to find a single powered sub that will keep up with your tops at peak levels, at least anything that is near comparable in build and sound quality and has the features you want (full crossover).

One good choice would be the RCF 4PRO8001AS. The FBT VERVE 18SA might also do the job, at a similar price.

Archived