recording output of MxWiz 16:2

• Members

Hello, this coming Friday our band wants to record our gig on a small handheld audio device which has a headphones type input. Is there several ways to do this? I was thinking about using the MONO output. But I'm reading about the AB OUT and maybe this is the way to go. Can someone help me on this? Thanks.

• CMS Author

The A-B can output the main mix bus. Set the L-R/Monitor switch to "L-R", and I'd recommend setting the pre/post switch to "pre" so your recording level will remain constant regardless of the FOH level. I think if you use the Mono main output, that it's post L-R faders, so those settings will affect your recording level.

• Members

AB out will work fine, but this output is post-fader by default (which means that you have to have your main L/R faders up for signal to get to the AB output).

There's an internal jumper that will make this output pre-fader, which seems to make more sense if you're using this output to go to a recording device. (Someone please educate me if they disagree).

I'm assuming your recorder has a stereo input. If so, you'll need a Y cable: (2) 1/4" TS to 1/4" (or 1/8") TRS

• Members

I think your recording might sound better if you had mics at the board for the recording. I have set my jumpers to pre-fade but I would expect a very vocal-heavy mix. Also the lead that uses a modeler. The drums, rhythm and bass all have a decent amount of stage volume and are not as present in FOH. If the recorder does not have mic's built in, maybe you could use a couple of channels on the mix-wiz as pre's and route the direct outs to your recorder.

Archived