Drum Mics Pleeeeeaaaaase

• Members

That's what an AKG D112 sounds like -- pretty much exactly like your signature. Audix D6 may also be a good choice.

Or for an even more genre-compliant choice, An Alesis D/DM-series module paired with any of your cheap mics would give you the exact sound you are looking for.

• Members

Lol, soul, the last thing I want is the kick drum to go "womp womp".

That's what I consider to be the "dance beat style" sound.

I agree that it is not what I would want a kick drum to sound like (not a fan of the D112).

• Members

Take a pick:

Audix D6

AKG D112

Shure Beta52

Each mic has its up and downs.

Can you demo the mics for a couple of shows?

We tend to grab the Audix D6 for rock to heavy metal bands and the Beta52 for mellower acts (Country and/or Jazz). We have an D112, but that gets tossed on the Bass Guitar.

• Members

I like a kick that hits you in the stomach. Even though I'm a huge fan of punk music, I can't stand that sometimes you can't tell the difference between the snare and the kick!

I think I just mean I like it to pound into your chest and be OBVIOUS that its a kick drum!

Make sure your Mids (75-250Hz) are up to the task...

• Members

there's nothing wrong with a kickball, or d112. if you can't make it sound good it's not the mic's fault. Granted there may be some better, or different choices that might mate up with your system, ear or drums in a way you find more pleasing.

• Members

See I have this problem a lot. I can't describe the timbre of sounds that I like, which sucks.
:(

I like a kick that hits you in the stomach. Even though I'm a huge fan of punk music, I can't stand that sometimes you can't tell the difference between the snare and the kick!

Well for a big modern rock-style thump, I like the D6. For a more natural reproduction of the actual kick drum sound I like the ATM25/250. For womp-womp, the D112

• Members

D6 vs PG56, huge difference, I have used both of these on the same bass drum. The D6 has a lot much punch, can take more spl, and just plain sounded better. This was on a 20" bass drum with no muffling and I loved the D6 sound on it.

• Members

Mog, just to be clear on your short and long answers... am I going to get a better difference? Or just a difference? :

It'll be a noticeable improvement. You should see my EQ's when using the PG52, 12dB cuts and boosts... not pretty.

I'm not certain about your experience with EQ, but here's a frequency guide for most kick drums:

80Hz "Punch" (I leave this flat. pg52 is +3dB)

100-200Hz "Woof" (I'll cut 6dB at around 200 or 250Hz, pg52 is -12dB here)

200-300Hz "Boom"

500Hz - 1.2 kHz "Paper" (flat, usually. with the pg52 I cut like 12dB here)

2kHz - 6kHz "Click" (boost 3-6dB, depending on how much click I want)

• Members

Thanks GCB... sometimes I hate even typing what I'm thinking because I'm afraid I'm going to be slapped with some pro pwnage.

dont worry about it, I dont know jack about live sound but I'm learning. Just ask your question as best you can and people will try and help you. the only time you'll get pwnage is when you cop an attitude. there was a guy on here doing just that, couldnt tell him anything he knew it all.

people here have helped me a great deal and I totally appreciate and heed the advice I'm given, some of these guys have been doing nothing but live sound and engineering for decades so they know what they're talking about

BTW- it's QCB. as in Quad Cam Bastard

• Members

Since I bought the mixer... those sweepable eqs... are those like when you pull down one band and the rest around that band sort of follow it?

EQ "sweep" means you can change the central frequency at which you're cutting or boosting. Set the frequency you want to adjust and then set how much you want to boost or cut that frequency.

What you're getting at is Q width. Higher Q means that you're affecting less of the frequencies around the one you're adjusting, lower Q means you're affecting more of the nearby frequencies. You'd need a parametric EQ to change that, though. The Q width in most all live sound boards is fixed.

• Members

And here I go with another thing I don't really want to type "out loud". Since I bought the mixer... those sweepable eqs... are those like when you pull down one band and the rest around that band sort of follow it?

Yes. But it depends on the "Q" (width) of the band. A high Q curve makes very narrow cuts, while a lower Q will be wider and gentler.

• Members

Sorry, but I'm still not clear on the EQ thing. Does that mean that on the mixwiz I can: use the top knob to select the frequency I want, and the knob below that to boost/cut it? Or am I way off?

Nope. That's it.

Have you spent any quality time with your manual?

• Members

I did, I read it front to back, but the explanations they give seem to be for pros not noobs.

Perhaps you might look through a Mackie mixer manual, just as a reference (ignoring the routing and model-specific feature descriptions) -- They are written in a manner that is generally pretty friendly and entertaining to newer users:

http://www.mackie.com/products/1604vlz3/pdf/1604VLZ3_OM.pdf

Archived