Noob Rack Ventilation question...

• Members

I'm putting together a little 4 space rack for a small pa. It has a 1u compressor, 1u eq, and a 2u solid-state power amp. My question is about the power amp (a crest fa-800): where should i put it in the rack? I know that in regards to heat and ventilation it should go on top, but I'm worried (and this might be silly, I'm not familiar with rackmount gear) that having the big heavy amp on top might not be safe for the smaller gear below in case that it rips off of the rails somehow and falls inside the rack. Is that something I should even be worried about, or does it never really happen? If I did put the amp on bottom, vents on top of the amp would be covered, but a fan at the back and a vent on the front would be open. Would that be enough to cool the amp? What's the best course of action?

• Members

Is the back of the rack going to be open or are you installing a fan to help circulate air? I would generally put the amp or the heaviest piece of gear on the bottom. No real reason but I perceive the rack to be more stable that way. Not sure it really matters in the long run.

• Members

I'd put the amp on the bottom as well. Keep the back of the rack open and don't worry too much about it. This is not an issue now, but keep in mind that if you add another amp, make sure that they circulate air in the same direction (otherwise each will be pulling in the other's hot exhaust air).

Archived