s115 IV drivers do not fit in s115 III

• Members

s115 IV drivers do not fit in s115 III, and i did not know that until 30 minutes ago.

i got a someone panicked call about 90 minutes ago, apparently someone had SHREDDED a 15" in a club3 wedge last night and failed to tell anyone. tonight when they hooked it up it was awful. the guy was trying to peice together something to make it through the night and called me for help wiring the crossover and couldnt understand me so i offered a hand. what i heard was "blown 15", club wedge" so i grabbed a 15" S115 IV driver from my shelf.

i drove down there and found a 15" driver on the floor, the cone completely blown apart all around the diameter. wow. completely ripped in two circles. i looked at the plate and it said S115 III 100 watts and i pointed out that he had been running this speaker off one side of a 3402 for about 10 years (do the math).

someone had replaced the caps with 400V ones and there is no polyswitch (that i saw). we tried to drop in my 15" from a series 4 and it does not fit!! the hole is too small! and i diont see anyway to make the hole bigger without causing a mess, a router wont fit due to the lip. oh well.

i cant beleive he had been running this wedge at nearly 800watts for nearly a decade.

• Members

but very surprising how long it lasted! oddly enough the coil wasnt rubbing in the gap if i held the dust cap just right.

other thing of note is in the series three there are wood screws instead of 10/32 screws and t-nuts for the driver ( i swear i think their are 10/32 t-nuts in the series 4)

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 3 series are crappy. to limp through the night we put a (1502dl???) black widow in an empty series 4 cab with some of the 3's guts and i gotta say it wasnt half bad. good enough for one night anyway.

• Members

ok. when you find out if you do and how much you want i'll ask the guy. he does want to get it going, and he has another 3 with a 'mystery speaker' in it as well.

dont get the wrong idea, he does have decent stuff. but not these wedges at this location.

• Members

ok. when you find out if you do and how much you want i'll ask the guy. he does want to get it going, and he has another 3 with a 'mystery speaker' in it as well.

dont get the wrong idea, he does have decent stuff.
but not these wedges at this location.

I will check. Can you post a photo of the back side of the driver? Is there a small silver or gray tag on the magnet with some numbers on it?

• Members

I was watching the "Decline of Western Civilization part 2" last night. At one large club there was a (w)hole set of the 100w S115(???) monitors (4115 style with the 30w silver 1" horns but was a monitor). That stage was LOUD, but they must have worked to some degree. About 4 years ago I played a gig at the U of Ak in fairbanks and my rented bass cab died on me. A working man's 15" to which after taking it apart the 15 was a "home" recone job. I shipped an Audiopile 15 to replace it, the owner was VERY happy. Anyway I had to run direct and play thru that cab. Ug. It had FAR more post-high-school education than me and still sounded worse than I did in college.

And the hardcore the "earth is 6K years old" people were in the ballroom trying to convice kids carbon dating was fiction.

That went a little off track.

recone, then sell to kids in LA.

• Members

i'll try. it does have a JAY**** tag on the side of the magnet.

The metalwork will tell me what series basket it is. IIRC its a stamped basket based on an early Delta style (there are significant differences between early and modern models) as well as the liklihood that it may be a 1.5 or 2" RWVC. I have just about all of these in stock here, sitting on the shelf taking up space. Too bad Soul-X couldn't be talked into taking more stuff home with him ;)

• CMS Author

Too bad Soul-X couldn't be talked into taking more stuff home with him
;)

Let's put it this way; if I ever find myself in the Sacramento area, I won't be renting a small car. It'll be a straight truck with liftgate, and a one-way rental agreement. In fact, you've given me an idea. Maybe I'll ride motorcycle cross-country, and then rent a truck to return....load the bike, and then all the treasures from your shop. Talk about a soundguy's dream vacation....

• Members

Let's put it this way; if I ever find myself in the Sacramento area, I won't be renting a small car. It'll be a straight truck with liftgate, and a one-way rental agreement. In fact, you've given me an idea. Maybe I'll ride motorcycle cross-country, and then rent a truck to return....load the bike, and then all the treasures from your shop. Talk about a soundguy's dream vacation....

Great idea. Do it around NAMM time, and you can stop off at Marks on the way back. Add 8 feet to the size of the truck!!!

• Members

I was watching the "Decline of Western Civilization part 2" last night. At one large club there was a (w)hole set of the 100w S115(???) monitors (4115 style with the 30w silver 1" horns but was a monitor). That stage was LOUD, but they must have worked to some degree. About 4 years ago I played a gig at the U of Ak in fairbanks and my rented bass cab died on me. A working man's 15" to which after taking it apart the 15 was a "home" recone job. I shipped an Audiopile 15 to replace it, the owner was VERY happy. Anyway I had to run direct and play thru that cab. Ug. It had FAR more post-high-school education than me and still sounded worse than I did in college.

And the hardcore the "earth is 6K years old" people were in the ballroom trying to convice kids carbon dating was fiction.

That went a little off track.

recone, then sell to kids in LA.

I had a old pair of those old silver horned jobs, I pulled the stock white 15" and reloaded with black widows and they would get stupid loud. I beileive the crossover was just a high pass filter. I was concerned about the hi drivers so I used 2 1156 light bulbs in series as a protection circuit (ala shure promaster)

I just saw them the other day still rocking out a punk club

• Members

Prolly in pioneer square too eh? I have a keyboard playing frind who uses 2x eminence beta 12's with 1 of those horns (HPF off the left channel only ~?) on the big silver lens. I out area there are quite a few 4115's (powered versions too) still out there.

• CMS Author

I'll be Mark will make you a deal on pallets of firewood too. From a past project he may have like 100 full pallets
:eek:

If he processes 'em into pellets, I'm on it like a fat kid on cake. But I could round out the load with pallets and use them for campfire wood next summer. It will be summer eventually, right? We're bracing for 20+" snow in the area tonight/tomorrow....

• Members

If he processes 'em into pellets, I'm on it like a fat kid on cake. But I could round out the load with pallets and use them for campfire wood next summer. It will be summer eventually, right? We're bracing for 20+" snow in the area tonight/tomorrow....

I love my pellet stove, about 4x as efficient (real world) than the best wood stove and so much more convenient.

IMO, for many areas this could be one very important way we could reduce our dependency on oil, gas and coal. It's also carbon neutral, and very clean burning. CA requires lower emissions and low NOX plus mine's 83% efficient. I use exactly 1 ton of pellets over the winter and that offsets the equiv. of 2x the cost of propane due to heating only the center common area of the house about 1/2 the time. I'll bet in colder climates the benefits are even greater.

Did you know that China is now running some power plants using (larger) pellets as fuel and the US is exporting shiploads to them. Big fluidized bed boilers fed pellets about 3/4" or larger in diameter (like hay cubes) producing high pressure steam. It's part of their attempt to reduce dirty coal use.

Now back on topic.

• Members

Too bad Soul-X couldn't be talked into taking more stuff home with him
;)

Sorry, Andy -- too much stuff of my own, but I am pretty sure you haven't seen the last of me.

It was great to meet you. I don't quite remember if I thanked you for the tour of the shop and the free advice, so in case I forgot: Thanks a lot.

• CMS Author

I love my pellet stove, about 4x as efficient (real world) than the best wood stove and so much more convenient.

IMO, for many areas this could be one very important way we could reduce our dependency on oil, gas and coal. It's also carbon neutral, and very clean burning. CA requires lower emissions and low NOX plus mine's 83% efficient. I use exactly 1 ton of pellets over the winter and that offsets the equiv. of 2x the cost of propane due to heating only the center common area of the house about 1/2 the time. I'll bet in colder climates the benefits are even greater.

Did you know that China is now running some power plants using (larger) pellets as fuel and the US is exporting shiploads to them. Big fluidized bed boilers fed pellets about 3/4" or larger in diameter (like hay cubes) producing high pressure steam. It's part of their attempt to reduce dirty coal use.

Now back on topic.

The Chinese have a long way to go. I'd rather see the pellets used here. Current local price is $250/ton minimum, plus cost of delivery.

I have a new Harman Advance stove. Regulates temperature to a range of only a few degrees, heats most of the house if needed, 48K BTU max. So far it's used a half ton in about a 5 weeks of use, but it's been really cold...averaging in the 20's at night and low 30's day...for this area. The basement needs to have the insulation completed, which will make a big difference; at this point the walls are complete up to the joist bays, but the bays are open to the ribbon joist, so there's considerable loss there.

• Members

Sorry, Andy -- too much stuff of my own, but I am pretty sure you haven't seen the last of me.

It was great to meet you. I don't quite remember if I thanked you for the tour of the shop and the free advice, so in case I forgot: Thanks a lot.

Good to finally meet you also.

It was interesting to see how two different drivers that seem almost identical on the surface model so differently in a box eh? That's why I often say there's more to all of this stuff than what the marketing guys like to say.

• Members
Did you know that China is now running some power plants using (larger) pellets as fuel and the US is exporting shiploads to them.

They can only do this because the ships would otherwise return empty so shipping rates in that direction are far cheaper than in the other direction. Remember when the first world countries shipped manufactured goods to the third world countries and they shipped back raw materials and foods? We also ship them scrap steel and grain. Well, guess what that makes the formerly "first world" USA now (or shortly) :(.

• Members

They are doing so due to the valuation of the dollar relative to cChinese currency, the pollution problems that they are not addressing, as well as the increasing costs in China of coal, gas and oil. The fact that back-hauling on empty ships is cheap only adds to the cost/benefit equation.

Archived