Basic gig setup

• Members

Hey... sounds like fun!

You can do anything you like as long as you have enough inputs :)

You'll definitely be appreciating a mixer. If you're carrying powered speakers around, an unpowered mixer shouldnt add much weight. Without a mixer you will struggle to get a balanced sound for the whole audience.

Bit confused by what you're saying. Are you saying that you have a powered speaker each for guitar and bass, and separate FOH speakers?

In terms of whether the guitar, and especially the bass, will sound ok through the front speakers... well, it does depend how good the speakers are. You didnt mention brand or anything. It will work, but without subs, you will definitely find that it lacks that "thump" that you might expect with a full set up. That may do the job for you for now, but its up to you to try it. The guitar will be fine.

Id also say, if you do have 4 powered spks, you will get a better result going guitar (or bass) - mixer - FOH/Monitor (so using ur second set of speakers as wedges)

Congratulations on going amp-less :) I think you'll find for smaller gigs, you'll be fine, and if you're struggling with the bass, rather than buying a bass rig, just get a powered sub...

• Members

Thanks for the info

Much appreciated

Yes, i have seperate FOH speakers and 2 different single powered speakers, 1 for bass, one for guitar.

My FOH are good quality, JBL PRX512's but my powered speakers for the guitar and bass a cheapo's. (I cant remember the brand names but they are behringers with a 12 inch for the guitar and a 15 inch for the bass)

If using a mixer to bring the guitar and bass into the FOH, even at low volumes, increase the quality of the sound then i guess i will give it a go, it just means i will need to buy more leads...

thanks again

• Members

Oh, sorry, i did have one more question

in regards to speaker placement, if i were running the speakers used for guitars behind the FOH speakers, say in line with the drummer, would there be much of a delay effect for the audience.

For example would the FOH speakers be heard first followed by the guitar speakers (or even ampls if we had them) because they are further back

Thanks

• Members

I think any problem caused by the different position would be theoretical, not noticeable. The speed of sound is something like 250 kmh a second, from memory... so basically, in a small room, the difference is miniscule.

With quality speakers like that on foh, you should make best use, hence a mixer would be good. There may even be an argument to ditch your stage ones or, as i said, use them out of the mixer as monitors. The 12s will carry the bass, but it will lack when compared to a nice ampeg stack with subs... it just has to.

• Members

For what it's worth (and I'm no authority on this stuff), I play acoustic solo/duo once in a while. And with bass and drums once in a while. Like you, nothing big -- parties, small gigs, so I wanted a really simple, easy to cart around PA. I bought a Yamaha Stagepas 500 and love it. Works great with any of these setups. Except when we have bass, he runs through his own bass amp and we just run guitars and vocals through the PA. Drums never mic'd.

FYI -- Guitar Center has a 15% off coupon on their website good for any single item thru 1/31.

• Members

1. Our current setup is guitar on the left, bass on the right, drums in the middle. Is it possible to get a half decent sound with this setup, turning the speakers slightly toward the center to spread the sound to the audience more?

Bass is omni-directional. For the size gig you're talking about you really don't need to do anything more than put the powered speaker dedicated to the bass on the floor next to him. It will be a balancing act between loud enough for the room and too loud for the "stage", but if you're talking house parties the entire thing is going to be a balancing act, particularly the drummer. Can't be cracking the snare as hard as you can in someones basement and hope to have a balanced sound.

• Members

I think any problem caused by the different position would be theoretical, not noticeable. The speed of sound is something like 250 kmh a second, from memory... so basically, in a small room, the difference is miniscule.

The speed of sound is ~1125 feet/second, or .85 mSec per foot. Under say 25 feet the difference is not an issue but beyond that it CAN be in some instances.

Archived