Doubling-up on subs?

• Members

My dealer has his annual inventory clearance-sale going on, and I can get a pretty decent price on another pair of Yorkville LS-720 active subs.(store demo's) Just wondering if this would be a worthwhile venture. I had been thinking about getting a larger pair of subs, such as the Yorkville Unity UCS1p's, which would allow me to use either one pair of LS-720's, or one pair of UCS1P's, but having four LS-720's seems appealing at the moment, especially pricewise.

I do like the sound of the LS-720's too. If I understand this correctly, four LS-720p's, should be as loud as a pair of UCS1p's, but the UCS1p's would go a little lower (37Hz vs 40Hz/+/-3dB)

I can probably pick-up a pair of LS-720p's for under $1400. vs roughly $3k.+ for the UCS1pb's.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=369

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=38&id=363

Bob

• Members

Actually clustered together in pairs the 720's will gain a bit on the low end and probably be the equal of the UCS1P's I think? Specs seem to say a pair would be as loud as one USC1P without coupling them - that should gain you as much as another 3db. Louder, lighter and cheaper - sounds like a no-brainer to go for another pair of 720's over a pair of UCS1P's to me :).

• Members

Yep, it looks appealing to me at the moment. I could use anywhere from 1-4 LS-720's, as the situation dictates. The downside is, the LS-720's have no casters, so four subs to carry in, vs two to wheel in. I've got a hand-truck, but I'd like to look into some kind of callapsible dolly. I saw a nice aluminum-frame dolly with large casters a while back, but no idea what brand, or how expensive. Seems to me the guy said it cost him something like $300.-$325.

• Members

Yep, it looks appealing to me at the moment. I could use anywhere from 1-4 LS-720's, as the situation dictates. The downside is, the LS-720's have no casters, so four subs to carry in, vs two to wheel in. I've got a hand-truck, but I'd like to look into some kind of callapsible dolly. I saw a nice aluminum-frame dolly with large casters a while back, but no idea what brand, or how expensive. Seems to me the guy said it cost him something like $300.-$325.

Dollies are great! Get one that's the right size and you're golden. Furniture ones (of the right size) should do great and if you're worried about tearing something lay down a blanket or pillow on it!

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU

I use one of those to transport my Mesa combo amp. Makes it a HELL of alot easier...

I think when people take weight into consideration, it's always a way to rule out possible gear choices. Though it's nice to be light, I think that you should not have to sacrifice sound/price because of the weight. I mean, we certainly have the technology so we don't have to lift everything everywhere...

You could always try a Wagon too. My grandpa uses a Fisher-Price plastic wagon I've had since I was 5, for towing around bags of cement/bricks/misc things for his work as a handyman and it's held up great for some reason.

..I can't believe I just wrote that much about a dolly. Haha.

Archived