Hey buddy,,,, got a Light?

• Members

Went shopping this afternoon. My pro-sound dealer is having his annual inventory clear-out, and,,,, I came home with a car-full of lights :idea:. A bunch of LED (par cans?), some wicked lazer gizmo called an FS-2 and a few other fancy-schmancy lights, a DMX controller, and,,,,,,,,, a mirror-ball with two LED "pin lights" ?:p Gonna have to dig up my ole BeeGees disco hits. Oh ya,,,,, two "smoke machines too.:wave:

Oh,,,, and a couple more mics,,,, SM-58, and SM-57.

• Members

Oh,,,, and a couple more mics,,,, SM-58, and SM-57.

The local Craig's list is loaded with offers for those. I hope you got a good deal... the going local price seems to be somewhere around $40 ea. (complete with "we supply you very authentic packaging and documentation and wish to partner with you for very long time in the future, together we can grow strong union... we can add Levis Jeans, Gucci purse, and Rolex watch too for nominal price increase... you be berry happy customer long time too, see?").

It's amazing how many "studios" in the local area are selling off their "like new" 57 and 58 mic collections. I didn't know there were that many studios in the area (like there was less than 1 a couple of years ago... before the coming of age of "for you very good deal on very authentic Shure microphones).

• Members

The local Craig's list is loaded with offers for those. I hope you got a good deal... the going local price seems to be somewhere around $40 ea. (complete with authentic packaging and documentation).

It's amazing how many "studios" in the local area are selling off their "like new" 57 and 58 mic collections. I didn't know there were that many studios in the area.

Are these the same guys selling Beta 58s for $65 and Beta 87s for 100? I meet a guy once, his SM 57 was a tad lighter then mine. :thu: He was also meeting someone else and had a bunch of Bose headphones, shure mics, and a digital camera. When I asked where he got this stuff, his reply was a wholesale in Chinatown in La.

Ended up passing on the shure mics myself, and when I implied they were fake, he just played stupid and said O really???

• Members

The local Craig's list is loaded with offers for those. I hope you got a good deal... the going local price seems to be somewhere around $40 ea. (complete with "we supply you very authentic packaging and documentation and wish to partner with you for very long time in the future... we can throw in Levis Jeans, Gucci purse, and Rolex watch too for nominal price increase... you be berry happy customer long time too, see?").

Well, except for the Gucci purse Mark,,,, sign me up.:thu:

Actually Mark, they're brand new.( the mics) My dealer is a pro-sound/lighting business in Laval Qc. I've been doing business there for a few years now. Bonafide Shure dealer, as well as many other brands. Some of the lighting stuff I bought was used however, but most of it looked brand new. Full guarantee with all of it too.

• Members

I agree. I probably wouldn't buy a second-hand mic anyway. The SM-58 cost me $109. on sale (10% off), and the SM-57 was $99. on sale. Not great, but not bad. This is Canada after-all. Deals are hard to come by.

I'll post a list of the lighting in the morning. Off the top of my head, there's a Chauvet Obey 40 DMX controller, three Chauvet "Rain" LED cans, a 16" mirror-ball with 2 LED "Pin-Spot" lights, Chauvet Kinta-X, MiracLED, C-R Tec FS-2 laser, 2 Antari Alpha F-80z smoke machines. Add the two mics, and I think that's everything. With the tax it came up to just a hair under $1600. Saturday, I'm headed back to pick up a truss and stands.

May buy a couple more LS-720 subs too, but that depends on the deal he offers me. I'm feeling tight-fisted this year.:cop:

I had intended on buying the compact Soundcraft Notepad 124FX mixer, but those still aren't out yet. I may go with the new A&H Zed10FX, which was just announced at the recent AES show. It'll be available in June apparently. It should handle an acoustic-guitar duo quite well. Nice features, and very portable.

• Members

Average going price for an SM-58 up here, is roughly $110.-$120. I've seen some local music stores asking $129. The Canadian dollar stands at just under $0.95 U.S. at the moment. But hey, gas is only $1.05/litre ($4.75 a gallon), and the snow is free.:facepalm:

Bob

• Members

Average going price for an SM-58 up here, is roughly $110.-$120. I've seen some local music stores asking $129. The Canadian dollar stands at just under $0.95 U.S. at the moment. But hey, gas is only $1.05/litre ($4.75 a gallon), and the snow is free.
:facepalm:

Bob

Wow! When I was in Canada "82" the exchange rate was closer to 72 cents on the dollar.Still,it was cool going to a "foriegn" country for $2500.00 to $3000.00 per week(Canadian,and for the whole band) to become an unknown,international lounge act!!! Lol Loved it up there BTW.

• Members

Wow! When I was in Canada "82" the exchange rate was closer to 72 cents on the dollar.Still,it was cool going to a "foriegn" country for $2500.00 to $3000.00 per week(Canadian,and for the whole band) to become an unknown,international lounge act!!! Lol Loved it up there BTW.

The music scene can be really cool up here, especially when the Montreal International Jazz-Festival is on. That's a 2-week street party. All sorts of free outdoor concerts, going non-stop. The city just comes alive. The Formula One Canadian Grand-Prix is usually on close to that time as well, as is the "Just For Laughs" comedy festival.

The Mont-Tremblant Blues Festival, usually held in July, is VERY popular as well. That's up in ski-country, about an hour north of Montreal.

The Jazz-Fest is really about all types of music. Pretty well anything you can imagine. Gospel, world-beat, jazz, blues, Latin; you name it, they got it.:cool: The International Salon de la Guitar is on around that time as well. Top luthiers from all over the world.

And those beauuuuutiful French girls/ladies, well,,,, they're here ALL the time. :wave:

• Members

Well, I went back to the store again yesterday, looked at the subs, and balked. I'm still too undecided about where I'm going with this stuff. This year, I mostly concentrated on lighting,

Yesterday, I ordered some lighting stands, relay packs, 4Bars, a switching controller, etc. I may add another laser (CR-TEC FS-4), and I'm on the lookout for 9 more Rain LED PAR-cans, (for a total of 12). I may also buy a follow-spot. Still researching that stuff on the lighting forum.

Other gear I looked at yesterday included the Yorkville Unity U15b (passive), the new JBL PRX 512mi, and a couple of Allen & Heath GL-2400 consoles. (24 channel/32 channel) Veeeery nice.:thu:

Bob

Archived