Is it OK to leave gear stored in the cold?

• Members

I saw this addressed once in this forum but couldn't find the thread. My band has recently purchased a trailer and I would prefer to leave gear stored in it as opposed to continuously unloading and loading. We play weekly gigs. I live in the north and winter temps get down to around zero or below on a regular basis. It was -15 this morning. I am not talking instruments, just powered mains, board, cables, mics etc. If this is not cool, any recommendations? My thought is a small electric heater or heat lamp, just enough to keep the temp above freezing without doubling my electric bill. Thanks

• Members

Its not really the cold thats the problem,its taking cold gear into a warm room and condensation will form. Have your amps dry out before switching on if you have time. And speakers put some quiet music though them to warm them up before you sound check the band. A light would make a difference but be carefull of any Fire threts.

• Members

Any instrument with tonewoods (guitars, drums, percussion, etc) should not be left in extreme temperatures for prolonged periods.

Everything else - PA, amps, processors - never had a problem stored out in the cold as long as you allow time for the condensation to dry off before turning them on.

• Members

Mine are freezing in the trailer RIGHT NOW!

Biggest thing with trailer storage is, as the others have said, MOISTURE. Modern mass built trailers seal fairly well so avoid opening them up in high humidity, rain, winter thaws, ect. Not only will you be letting the moisture in, you will be trapping it in so it can really permeate the gear on the warmer days.

Boomerweps

• Members

Moisture isn't a problem in Denver. I don't like leaving my basses or trumpet out in it, but sometimes it happens. Let the instruments warm up in the case. (Saw that as a suggestion many years ago. Don't really know if it helps.) Leaving the keys out in it doesn't bother me at all.

• CMS Author

Moisture isn't a problem in Denver. I don't like leaving my basses or trumpet out in it, but sometimes it happens. Let the instruments warm up in the case. (Saw that as a suggestion many years ago. Don't really know if it helps.) Leaving the keys out in it doesn't bother me at all.

The reasoning behind leaving an instrument in its case to warm is pretty sound, and is that the case will slow the temperature change. Fast changes in temperature are sometimes given as the cause for crazing of certain finishes.

Archived