What's the most crazy, expensive, over the top PA's?

• Members

What's the most craziest, loudest, quality pa's you've ever seen? Specs/pics/prices?

Also, where's some of the most expensive PA packages?

http://www.audiolines.com/DJ-Package-Deals-220/SpeakerAmplifier-Packages/Dynacord-Cobra-4-System

I saw that, and i KNOW there has to be bigger more expensive ones.

Just for fun. I like gawking at nice equipment:thu:

• Members

L'acoustics, Adamson, D&B and, of course, Meyer tend to be the most expensive and best sounding options out there right now.

As I understand it, the wall of sound has long since been parted out and there are pieces of it in many basements and rehearsal studios around the bay area.

• Members

I wish people would stop posting pictures of that K-Array. Makes me want one so freaking bad.

I'd gladly ditch my Meyer system for one of those.

EDIT: The only pricing I can find for K-Array is a price guide from Ireland.

Ko70 OVERBASS Subwoofer USD$22,601.15

KH4 Self Powered Line Array Element USD$25,313.98

KH15 Self Powered Ultra Compact Element USD$9,378.27

KS4 Self Powered Line Array Sub USD$14,782.33

...which is why it won't be happening any time soon.

• Members

Man, I would call it the wall of comb filtering.
:facepalm:

No, the wall of sound was not a single "fullrange" system. It was individual systems for each instrument. I'm not sure if vocals were individual or if it was a single system for vocals. Bose used this concept for their Stix. Dave Rat used this concept for his dual line array (vocals and instruments separated).

Dennis

• Members

No, the wall of sound was not a single "fullrange" system. It was individual systems for each instrument. I'm not sure if vocals were individual or if it was a single system for vocals. Bose used this concept for their Stix. Dave Rat used this concept for his dual line array (vocals and instruments separated).

Dennis

Yes, the wall of sound was over the top to say the least, and it nearly bankrupt the band trying to haul it around the country, the reason for the 1975 hiatus.

Six independent sound systems all driven by Mac2300's. Vocals, guitar x2, piano, bass, and drums. 48 amps were used to drive 641 speakers (all JBL). The whole system operates on 26,400 watts of RMS power. John Meyer had quite a bit of influence in making this system operate. My info is taken from the book "Grateful Dead Gear".

• Members

Nope, just some good sounding conventional arrays. They're what's now known as McCauley Eagle Array boxes. We designed them, McCauley built them.

We used to be a touring co. We were always a little too small to compete with the big touring companies, and a little too big to compete with the regional guys, so we downsized a bit, merged with another company and started focusing on new markets. We're a much more profitable business for it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss doing those big festivals just a bit though.

• Members

Yeah, that array requires chain motors just like line arrays but that array no longer makes your phone ring.

Dennis

Too true. I know where you can get a good deal on 50 of those boxes. ;)

We now use L'acoustics VDOSC and dvdosc, which keeps the phones ringing pretty consistently. I must say though, our Adamson conventional boxes are still big earners. Line arrays don't make sense in every application.

• Members

Yeah, that array requires chain motors just like line arrays but that array no longer makes your phone ring.

Dennis

Oh you mean, when somebodies phone rings, it makes that sound that goes BEEE DEE DE E DPEP BEEEP DEP or whatever? Why does that happen anyway? And how does it prevent it?

• Members

Oh you mean, when somebodies phone rings, it makes that sound that goes BEEE DEE DE E DPEP BEEEP DEP or whatever? Why does that happen anyway? And how does it prevent it?

Actually, I think he was referring to the "Ka-Ching! $$$$$$" sound the sound company owner's phone makes when someone calls and wants to rent a large line array. Point source arrays, while often perfectly suitable, and actually a better solution in some situations, are not currently "in -vouge" and therefore owning a point source rig is not very profitable now-a-days.

P.S. - please note the "Ka-Ching! $$$$$$" sound is a relative term as it is very difficult to make any sound company profitable.

Archived