Praise for Peavey PV-1500!

• Members

I added a PV-1500 poweramp to the Youth Band rig at church. I am not always the one to hook things up and when teenagers are involved things sometimes do not go as planned. Last week something was not right, the cooling fan on the PV-1500 was running constant and the amp was flashing its clip lights way too early. I was playing bass and did not have much time to look into the problem while we were playing.

This week I walked in, forgot about the problem, and it started doing it again. After about 20-minutes I said "Something is wrong". I looked at the amp and figured it was overheating but was not sure why. I looked across the stage and saw the sub speaker cable (driving two SP-118s) was plugged into the SP-2G main instead of the sub - right along with the main speaker cable - IN PARALLEL - CHANNEL A & B of the the PV-1500 driving the SP-2G. :eek:

It had run this way for at least an couple of hours of playing time. Everything still worked fine although the cooling fan was losing its mind.

I could not believe it was fairly stable into that kind of load. I would not recommend this as a stress test for any end user but I must say I was impressed with the amp.

• Members

I saw a crown rep once hook up a speaker to a Macro-Tech amp, run music to a speaker, then short out the + and - poles. The speak continued to produce music (at a reduced level) but the amp kept running with a dead short.

I did not expect that level of stability out of a PV line amp. Granted, it was not a dead short but still, impressive.

• Members

That's not really a big deal, we do that all the time. We short them to test the thermal protection usually. It's even part of the burn-in process in production.

do you think a behringer, phonic and similar could put up with that? i wonder if they are built well enough.

• Members

Wow, I wouldn't do this with any other amp manufacturer! Peavey makes some well built stuff (please oh please let the IPRs be good and not another deca).

Last year some "DJ" bridged his Carvin 2000 into a pair of my dual 18's. The amp ran very hot all night and he put a fan on it after it thermaled the 1st few times. oh well...

• Members

Wow, I wouldn't do this with any other amp manufacturer! Peavey makes some well built stuff (please oh please let the IPRs be good and not another deca).

Last year some "DJ" bridged his Carvin 2000 into a pair of my dual 18's. The amp ran very hot all night and he put a fan on it after it thermaled the 1st few times. oh well...

My DECA 424 died back in November. I think I bought it back in 1987?

Archived