replacing/fixing an attached power cord wiothout a ground prong.

• Members

I recently aquired another Peavey xrd 680 box mixer. The power cord is in ratty shape, and has no ground prong. This mixer is the older type Peavey where all the cords were attached to the mixer.

Any tips on replacing this cord before I take a stab at it? Or is it a better idea to try and somehow solder a ground prong on the existing plug?

As it is now it works, but as far as safety and possible noise I know it needs to be taken care of.

• Members

Slap on of these on the end and you're up and running:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=110-442

Yah, don't forget to order a quart of snake oil to go with it :rolleyes:.

Seriously you can get a plug from home depot or some such for cheap - but if you didn't know that I'd be a bit concerned that you'd wire it wrong and hurt somebody :(. Best to find someone knowledgeable to help you out with it :).

• Members

Replacement grounded cordsets are available as a service part, be sure you replace with the same tupe and gauge. Be sure the ground wire goes to the original bond point with the proper connector, and that all other ground bonds between chassis sections are intact.

• Members

THanks.

You know I actually like the sound of the older xrd 680 powered heads better than the new ones. Seems like they are warmer sounding than the newer powered mixers. Could be the newer ones are more transparent, or I could just have some messed up ears?!

• Members

THanks.

You know I actually like the sound of the older xrd 680 powered heads better than the new ones. Seems like they are warmer sounding than the newer powered mixers. Could be the newer ones are more transparent, or I could just have some messed up ears?!

My vote is messed up ears. ;)

Archived