System Testing Music!

• Members

I like to play what I know (and like). Here are some of my favs. Not well known songs so I provided links to hear them. All in the same "groove". Nice clean production, organic, with keys and various guitar tones, nice bass lines and snares. ALO is my current favorite group and it sounds damn good coming out of the PA.

ALO - Lady Loop - Bass line is "fuzzy" but all other instruments crisp

Ben Harper - Brown Eyed Blues - One of my favorite instrumental sections of any song, about 2:17 into the song and then again at the end.

Basshounds - Til' I Hit The Ground - Jazz/rock tune. About 1:47 has a nice instrumental section.

ALO - Roses & Clover - Laid back groove with separation of all instruments and clean vocal.

ALO - Try - Another cool little groove. Nice bass and drums.

• Members

This is what we use (your mileage may vary ;) )...

Huey Lewis - It's Alright (good for checking clarity of vocals)

PHINS (studio recording by the main band I mix) - Southern Cross (good for vocals and kick drum)

PHINS - Fools, Drunks and Children (a nice accoustic tune good for checking clarity of the accoustic guitar sound and vocals)

Sanford & Townsend - Smoke from a Distant Fire (good for a full range of instruments, Bass, heavy kick drum, horns and vocals)

Although we could use just about anything, as long as we knew how we wanted it to sound and could tune the PA to achieve that sound.

• Members

Since I have a mixer that records and I can play back the recording through the mixer, I am able to perform a "virtual sound check".

I have done this in a club once when nobody was in the venue save for a lone bartender.

While it worked very well for getting all the channels worked out and monitor mixes leveled, I could not think of doing this while anyone else was watching. It's kinda creepy to hear the band but not see them. Especially when there's some crowd interaction going on. I could see the speculation now..... ala "millie Vanillie",

• Members

I've got two main tracks that I use:

"Part #1" from "Demon's Diversions", from a Norwegian jazz group called "Lonely Woman" (actually it's my sister-in-law's band - long story!). Starts out with just upright bass and brushed snare, which gives me both a sense of how the subs are tuned and also a more musical version of pink noise with the brushes.

"Jericho" by Joni Mitchell. Great track for how vocals will sound.

• Members

Since I have a mixer that records and I can play back the recording through the mixer, I am able to perform a "virtual sound check".

I have done this in a club once when nobody was in the venue save for a lone bartender.

While it worked very well for getting all the channels worked out and monitor mixes leveled, I could not think of doing this while anyone else was watching. It's kinda creepy to hear the band but not see them. Especially when there's some crowd interaction going on. I could see the speculation now..... ala "millie Vanillie",

I do this all the time. Absolute best way to sound check. Just take a show that was recorded and play a song back, make any mix adjustments and then play that song for sound check. I'll often record that sound check too and play a bit of it back to set the lead vocal level (me). It's easier when I'm not hearing myself. Hey, if you come early you're gonna hear the sound check. Plus we do about 3 minutes of line checks in total and not your typical 3 minutes of kick, 3 minutes of snare, 3 minutes of tom 1..... you get the idea.

• Members

Yellow Jackets live (w/Take 6, Michael Franks for vocals)

Flim & The BB's

Robben Ford (for guitar)

Robin Nolan (for acoustic stuff)

Grant Geissman

Used to use The Nightfly and various Steely Dan.

Agedhorse, I'll have to check that Tommy Emmanuel medley out. We've spoken about him before in a similar thread -great player (as is Chet)

• Members

I've done the "playback the board mix" thing thru the PA but one problem is you loose the acoustic interaction with the source instruments. Amplified kick still has a touch of acoustic sound happening, more so with guitar & bass. Balance between instruments will always be off (what cymbals?).

• Members

Tom Petty "Jamming Me"

Peter Gabriel "Red Rain"

Donald Fagen "The Nightfly" and "Ruby Baby"

Dire Straits "Calling Elvis"

Yes "Leave It"

Rush "Tom Sawyer"

Boston "Smokin'"

Kevin Gilbert "Goodness Gracious"

...from memory, I'm missing a few. All of those are varied mixes with certain elements I listen for. Hasn't failed me yet.

• Members

I've done the "playback the board mix" thing thru the PA but one problem is you loose the acoustic interaction with the source instruments. Amplified kick still has a touch of acoustic sound happening, more so with guitar & bass. Balance between instruments will always be off (what cymbals?).

True - We use v-drums, and IEM's for keys and one of the guitars so no stage amp. Guitar player plays through a little TC-Helicon powered speaker. Only real thing coming off the stage is bass (2x10 Mark Bass). We do have 2 wedge monitors, but the playback the board mix includes the monitors too.

• Members

Just about anything on my ipod shuffle. They're nearly all songs I'm very familiar with. Andy's use of James Taylor makes huge sense for verifying vocal clarity. I've got some Livingston Taylor on the ipod. (James' brother. Voices are very similar, but the singing styles differ.) I've got some early R&R to remind me how much bass usage has changed in 40 years. (It's an oldies band and we don't want to run very far from true.)

Archived