How crucial is it to have high quality side fills?

• Members

Hello Folks,

Seeing as how I have the QSC's on their way, I have these G-732's laying around. I know they need driver on one and a X-over on the other to match. I feel like I can use them as an unmatched sounding pair. Can they be used as side-fills at this point? Eventually, I will replace the components. Thanks.

• Members

Unless you are for hire at at least a mid-grade level (not the normal small club level), or you personally need side fills for your group (and with the low cost of IEMs, why would you?), I can see no need/use for side fills.

I have them, and they work well, but I do mostly outdoor festival work with my typical stage being 40 feet wide and 32 feet deep. I also run a total of 9 monitor mixes when I use sidefills. As someone who owns and uses them, I cannot see how they are useful on the smaller stages, or better than IEMs.

• Members

As square said, they're more of a deal for large stages.

I've used Claire P-4's as sidefills as well as a host of other boxes. I'd say they do need to be fairly high quality because the bands that are doing these size stages want them excruciatingly loud. They generally get a sort of criss-cross LR mix, to fill in musicians on one side of the stage with the ones on the other.

• Members

Sidefills are either:

a) A solution in search of a problem

b) Something that should have gone out with the 70's

c) Demanded by classic rock fogies because they had them back in the 70's, and still think they have a use of some sort

Seriously... with modern monitor systems where everybody gets their own wedge with its own mix (at the pro level, at least) there's no need for more crap on the sides of the stage.

Archived