Major act FOH Engineer Salary?

• Members

Anyone have a clue as to what a big act's FOH guy makes? I've had the chance to talk to several... Nickelbacks, Rascall Flatts, REO Speedwagon, etc... Obviously, I didn't have the balls to ask what they make! Pretty rude!

I'm curious if you can really make any money without owning your own rig?

I've had a few chances through friends to jump into a role on some tours... That could lead to FOH work. These friends are production managers and assistants and once again, I didn't have the balls to ask about pay.

Anyone here been out with National acts? Arena tours? etc?

• Members

Wow what an open question. I've seen pay work lots of different ways. Salary with benefits, Salary with bonus for each gig, Pay per hour (rare), Pay per gig only, What about per diem, rooms, etc....... It all adds up in the end.

I know it doesn't answer your question but again, there is no simple answer. You've just got to negotiate for what works best for you and your employer. Sometimes it's a new re-negotiation for each gig. From what I've seen, it's totaly variable.

• Members

I don't like to drop names.... without the "owners" permission but here's a couple of veiled examples.

I know a guy who works for a national Canadian act (that is known in the U.S.A.). He makes pretty good cash, even though the band doesn't tour all the time.

Then I knew a guy that mixed for another national act and he was making lousy money, because the whole band was. They had a couple of gold records in Canada but were trying to break south of the border, and were on a meagre salary.

• Members

Wow what an open question. I've seen pay work lots of different ways. Salary with benefits, Salary with bonus for each gig, Pay per hour (rare), Pay per gig only, What about per diem, rooms, etc....... It all adds up in the end.

I know it doesn't answer your question but again, there is no simple answer. You've just got to negotiate for what works best for you and your employer. Sometimes it's a new re-negotiation for each gig. From what I've seen, it's totaly variable.

I'm pretty familiar with the add ons. Most major FOH guys are going to get a decent per diem for everyday they are away from home. They'll get rooms when it's possible but plan on living on a bus!

I guess what I'm asking for is someone who knows someone! ;) I don't have any current friends that are at a higher level. Some guys I know work with groups that arn't making bank. They really gotta save for the months they're not on tour.

• Members

I don't like to drop names.... without the "owners" permission but here's a couple of veiled examples.

I know a guy who works for a national Canadian act (that is known in the U.S.A.). He makes pretty good cash, even though the band doesn't tour all the time.

Cool! Any idea how much he's making? Is the act country or rock? I've always been told the country acts make more, which funnel down to the crew. ?

• Members

I know some major act guys that make around 2-3K per gig.

And one that makes around 150K per 4 month tour.

None of them is an US act...

Holly cow! What kind of music/act are these guys working for? That's killer cash really! Are these walk in, mix gigs? Or are they wearing many hats?

• Members

Cool! Any idea how much he's making? Is the act country or rock? I've always been told the country acts make more, which funnel down to the crew. ?

I honestly can't remember. I know it was good cash, but since the cash wasn't mine - in one ear and out the other.

Doubt if I'll see him again before this thread dies.

I can add that there's a difference between an up and coming band, and an established band that has everything paid off, and can afford the "big boys".

Are you trying to make a move, or just trying to up your aspirations?

• Members

Holly cow! What kind of music/act are these guys working for? That's killer cash really! Are these walk in, mix gigs? Or are they wearing many hats?

South American acts. Some bands play all over for 60K-100K people in soccer stadiums and get 40-50% of whatever the door will give. 10 bucks per ticket. Each band member gets 0.5-2.0% of the band's share. Do the math... Band owners make 100K in one night, or more...

• Members

I'm just trying to educate myself... If another offer comes along, it's usually only out there for a few days. I'm in a tough spot right now... as I'm really busy with the bands I play for. I LOVE being on stage, but I don't want to be playing in tribute bands forever. I'm actually a better FOH engineer than drummer...(not saying I'm a horrible drummer).

So, if I get a good chance to jump on a crew.... I've got to make that choice fast! Just trying to get a grasp on what kind of money I can make as I climb the ladder.

I know a production assistant makes good money...a drum tech makes enough to pay the bills, but won't be saving up much!

• Members

Depends a lot on experience. You won't jump right into good money, you have to pay your dues.

Yes, you can make good money. I know of very few that make the kind of money Alex's friends make. In fact I can think on only a few and they play shows just as big with tickets much more expensive.

I think you will find the average A circuit act pay for the top 50 acts to be around $50-$70k a year. This is an average.

• Members

Absolutley yes. The question should be, can anyone make money when they own the rig?

VERY true.

I think that owning your own rig (personally, no band you play in or anything) you have to love what you are doin (and your wife better love you more!) or any other type of "tech" for that matter because for some reason you always end up wanting more stuff. Even if you wont make more money, you just want more. Its like a curse!:love:

• Members

If you think it's rude to ask elsewhere, why wouldn't it be rude here? :lol:

Varies greatly depending on the band, length of tour, other duties performed and the deal you negotiate for yourself. The most common deal I've heard of is usually a day rate, with a different rate for show days, days off, and travel days, plus per diem. Some (really good) FOH guys get put on retainer when the band's not on tour. Some guys will work on several tours a year. Often, especially with B or C level nationals, the FOH guy will also be the Production Manager, and therefore get a higher rate. Any way you look at it, you can make a very comfortable living doing it, assuming you're good, and assuming you're willing to work hard and be away from your home for extended stretches. I know FOH guys who own gorgeous homes in tropical locations, but never spend any time there because they're always on tour. :idk:

I have a friend who was making great dough working for some of the top grossing acts as a system tech, but it was wrecking his home life. Faced with losing his wife and daughter, he came home and works regional shows and corporate events.

• Members

A good friend of mine did a world tour about 5 years ago as Production Manager for a well known (on the radio all day long) icon of the seventies and eighties. He was on a weekly salary of somewhere around 2,500, not an easy job, even if I could, I wouldn't, Paul.

• Members

Really, it's that low? Does that include per diem? Taxes? Or is that gross?

-Dan.

Yeah, pretty much. That's an average I gave, and I would also say that a typical hard working guy makes that kind of money for around a 10 months work year. Per diem covers on the road expenses so it's kind of a wash since most (or many) guys also support a home life even if they are not home much. That's gross, taxes would come out of that. There also may be bonuses depending on the tour.

• Members

I have a friend who was making great dough working for some of the top grossing acts as a system tech, but it was wrecking his home life. Faced with losing his wife and daughter, he came home and works regional shows and corporate events.

I was in a similar situation and made the same decision. It was also helped by one of the guys working for the sound & lighting company falling asleep driving after the gig and died, taking another person with him. No thanks, don't need that stuff.

• Members

I think you will find the average A circuit act pay for the top 50 acts to be around $50-$70k a year. This is an average.

If you're saying, after per diem & road expenses, that sounds about in line with the folks I work with. National acts that haven't had a hit for 10 years or more or acts with their first minor hit that are on their way up.

It seems like LA & NY guys get paid more, Nashville is somewhere in the middle and Branson wages are on the low side (I used to work a lot of country acts). This is just a W.A.G. though (I don't usualy ask but sometimes it comes up in conversation).

• Members

If you're saying, after per diem & road expenses, that sounds about in line with the folks I work with. National acts that haven't had a hit for 10 years or more or acts with their first minor hit that are on their way up.

It seems like LA & NY guys get paid more, Nashville is somewhere in the middle and Branson wages are on the low side (I used to work a lot of country acts). This is just a W.A.G. though (I don't usualy ask but sometimes it comes up in conversation).

Yes, not counting per diem and OTR expenses.

• Members

I just got off the phone with a production assistant for a very popular country group. She was saying thier FOH guy makes about 100k/year. He also works for a bigger sound company in his off time on top of that. He's only 27 and works pretty hard.

I've seen sound guys that just walk in for soundcheck and the show... and don't help load in or out. She tells me those guys are called "white glove" guys and they are few and far between now days. I don't think I could handle watching people working while I stand around anyway.

She also mentioned she knows for a fact that Aerosmith, mainly steven tyler once offered a guy 10k/week because he wanted him so bad... They guy didn't really want to work with them, but he took the gig.

Good stuff.

• Members

I know that when I go out I usually get a set amount per day, more on show days and less on travel days or days off. I also get per diem and in some cases meal buyouts as well. We get rooms when we can, though as pointed out earlier, I live on the bus more often than not. Its fairly easy to not spend money on the road though if you're careful. You don't have to spend much on food if you don't mind catering at the venue, lol. You can buy food and keep it on the bus instead of eating out all the time too. Most of the time you don't have time to go out and do anything anyway. And if the TM/PM are any good they keep the buses stocked with soda, beer, and other snacky kind of stuff and a meal to go after load out, lol

Pay amounts vary widely on experience, reputation and skill, though I've noticed that rock bands tend to pay better than country in general. I know guys who go out for $150 a day and I know guys who won't leave the house for less than $600 a day. It all depends on reputation and who you know.

Archived