Choir system

• Members

Ok here's the story...

A friend of mine has asked my opinion on a system for their church choir. They currently are using the church's sytem when they perform at church but they are starting to get "gigs" outside of church and would like to have their own system.

Their budget is $2500. They need mics, mixer, and speakers. The choir is about 30 people. They are looking to cover around 200 people average, each performance.

Would a pair of speakers on sticks do? Something like the K12 or the PRX512m? They want something not to heavey, so the hpr is out of the question....

Mics, what do you guys suggest? They want to get 3...

Mixer, they need something small, maybe 8 channels.... Allen & Heath ZEDFX?

• Members

It would depend on the room acoustics and layout as to which microphones I would recommend for the group. A good "general purpose" mic for the job is the Audio-Technica AE-5100. Two 5100's would be my first choice for the 2x15 setup. I also use the AT875R for these applications, 3x10 would be the best setup for these.

58 for the soloist is fine...

• Members

I prefer a Beta 87 over an SM58 for this kind of thing. I've had both on the same stage, both used by the same choir soloists. I liked the 87 a lot. There are things I don't like it on, but with choirs there isn't really a feedback problem and it can sound quite good.

Of course, if there's a money problem, a 58 will work fine :)

• Members

I would use either the K-10's or PRX-512's, and I would try to get the choir into 2 rows of 15 or 3 rows of 10 and use 2 mics only. That would be better soundwise as well as helping the choir hear themselves better.

I concur. Something like a pair of NT5 or PRO37 should mic them up nicely.

Archived