Sound Quality Improvement - Yamaha BR12M to SM12V ?

• Members

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there's a noticeable sound improvement (clarity and volume) between a Yamaha SM12V compared to a BR12M ?

I know they are both lower end, but I need to upgrade from my S12M's (older version of BR12M I believe) as they just aren't cutting it, and as I'm not getting as much tax back as I had hoped (was looking @ JBL MRX 512's), I was wondering if these would be a worthwhile improvement....

Thanks.

• CMS Author

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there's a noticeable sound improvement (clarity and volume) between a Yamaha SM12V compared to a BR12M ?

I know they are both lower end, but I need to upgrade from my S12M's (older version of BR12M I believe) as they just aren't cutting it, and as I'm not getting as much tax back as I had hoped (was looking @ JBL MRX 512's), I was wondering if these would be a worthwhile improvement....

Thanks.

There's a pretty big difference between the BR and the Club series.

You should also have a look at the Peavey SP12M.

BTW, both are available in models with poly coating instead of ratfur. MUCH better suited to having drink and puke soakings if you frequent the bar scene.

• Members
You should also have a look at the Peavey SP12M.

Those are a big step up from Club's and closer to the MRX. The Peavey PV-12M is close to a Club, a bit less expensive, from a US based company, good service network, and there's even a representative from Peavey here on this forum :wave:.

• Members

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll definately look into them - most likely the "sprayed plastic" type of finish, as I think they look a bit neater for when I'm doing corporate shows etc....

One last thing - will a pair be able to take one side of a QSC PLX1804 running @ 4 ohms ? (450 W program per speaker) ?

• Members

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll definately look into them - most likely the "sprayed plastic" type of finish, as I think they look a bit neater for when I'm doing corporate shows etc....

One last thing - will a pair be able to take one side of a QSC PLX1804 running @ 4 ohms ? (450 W program per speaker) ?

Pretty high IMO. Be sure you high pass them at 50Hz or higher

• Members
That's why I recommend checking into them. Club SM12V: ~$340. Peavey SP12M: ~$370. Not much for a better-sounding (to my ears) speaker.

Yah, no contest. The Clubs don't sound any better to me that the PV/PR's - but any of those are perfectly usable at less than 125db :eek: stage volumes :). I can't imagine wanting an SP/Impulse powered at 500-1000 watts pointing at my head from 6 feet away - that's just stoopid :freak:.

• Members
Why would you put 500-1000w into a floor wedge in this use?

I wouldn't - but the SP is rated at 500w continuous and plenty of folks ( - cough - PSW - cough - ;)) do it - gotta not underpower them yah know :facepalm:. The PV series is rated at 200w continuous and is plenty loud when powered at that :cool:.

Archived