Behringer europower 2500. Worth buying?

• Members

I had my sights set on one of the new peavey IPR amps but just saw a behringer europower 2500 locally for what looks like a great price. It's heavy as hell but more power than the peavey IPR 1600 and the price is right. I'd probably be using it to power one sub.

The reviews I've found seem to be pretty decent. Anyone here have an opinion on them? Hopefully quick....i'm gonna go pick it up in an hour or so.

• Members

You may want to also consider the total cost of ownership of the piece of gear.

The Peavey will be warrantied for 5 years (with registration). The Behringer is out of warranty.

A single trip to the repair shop over the next half decade may make the Behringer not only the heavier, but the more expensive of the two.

• Members

I can't speak to the quality of the amps... I know of a few guys using those amps for sevearl years with no problems. They ARE heavy and they won't impress anyone in your amp rack....
:)

As long as they work and sound good, I'm not concerned about impressing anyone with what our stage setup looks like. That's what my Hello Kitty guitar is for. :thu:

btw, I only had a few minutes to search but I didn't find a single negative review of them.

• CMS Author

btw, I only had a few minutes to search but I didn't find a single negative review of them.

Where did you find the reviews? If it's a retailer's website, don't expect to find many if any negative reviews. And since today is apparently "nitpicker's day", let me clarify this statement by stating that it's not a comment on that amp or Behringer, it's a comment about online reviews, which are worth every dime you paid to view them.

• Members

Where did you find the reviews? If it's a retailer's website, don't expect to find many if any negative reviews. And since today is apparently "nitpicker's day", let me clarify this statement by stating that it's not a comment on that amp or Behringer, it's a comment about online reviews, which are worth every dime you paid to view them.

the one I saw the most reviews on was called something like buzzillions or somethin glike that. there were a couple on amazon also. From what I know, amazon doesn't censor negative reviews, I've seen a ton of them there.

• CMS Author

the one I saw the most reviews on was called something like buzzillions or somethin glike that. there were a couple on amazon also. From what I know, amazon doesn't censor negative reviews, I've seen a ton of them there.

Online reviews tend to be problematic as far as trustworthinees. Anything posted on a website with a vested interest should be suspect, as it's easy to claim no censoring but hard to prove one way or another. Another big problem is the people posting reviews....they tend to be newb's to the product who post while the purchase is very fresh, or those who feel cheated by a failure of the product or whoever sold it to them. All things considered, take online reviews with a grain of salt.

And again, this is not a commentary on the amp in question. It's a copy of a very old and reliable circuit, so as long as it works it's going to sound as good as any other amp. Amps tend to be pretty equal in sound quality...you pay for weight, reliability, features, and service/warranty.

• Members

Online reviews tend to be problematic as far as trustworthinees. Anything posted on a website with a vested interest should be suspect, as it's easy to claim no censoring but hard to prove one way or another. Another big problem is the people posting reviews....they tend to be newb's to the product who post while the purchase is very fresh, or those who feel cheated by a failure of the product or whoever sold it to them. All things considered, take online reviews with a grain of salt.

And again, this is not a commentary on the amp in question. It's a copy of a very old and reliable circuit, so as long as it works it's going to sound as good as any other amp. Amps tend to be pretty equal in sound quality...you pay for weight, reliability, features, and service/warranty.

which amp is this a copy of?

• Members
The smaller RMX series non-"HD" amps (850/1450/2450). It's a circuit copy, not a build copy...the RMX is much more robust.

I actually sold an RMX2450 I took in trade for a couple RMX850's and kept the EP2500 as I didn't need both and I got more used for the RMX than the EP cost me new :eek:. I'll probably sell off the EP when the bigger IPR's ship as I'm old enough to care about weight :lol:.

• Members

Yeah, the IPR would definitely be nice because of its weight but the comparable one in wattage would have cost me 400.00. For 260.00, I'm willing to lug a few more pounds around.

I used to say exactly the same thing back in the day, when I was younger, stronger, and less well off. My amps were all in the mid 40-50 lb and 50-60 lb class. OLD Huh?

Now I am older, not as strong....but I have enough money to pay for an easier life.

My amps now are 20 lbs or 26 lbs, (with one old Carver P1400 that is 34 lbs).

34 lbs seems heavy now and I am buying lighter gear at every opportunity for those times when I am alone, because at the end of the night....EVERYTHING feels heavy!

I used to think my 65 lb Adamsons were light.....now I don't want to lift them anymore....that is what the hired help is for......:cool:

Humping heavy amps and speakers is a younger man's game, and that is why my son is the Roadie.

His nickname is Manuel Labour!:lol::lol::lol:

Me....I am just the talent!:poke:

• Members

The behringer amps tend to be a hole filler. I needed an amp for a couple weeks doing monitor duty, I bought an EP1500 since I loaned my friend the RMX1450. Then when it was over I put in on horns in a triamp rig and there it stays. Well, the same exact thing happened and needed another utility amp and it also ended up on horns. I need to get the 1450 back!

The 2450/EP2500 fall into a weird spot where it's just a little shy for FOH SUB use and a little too much for MI grade monitors and WAY too much for bridged sub use. The RMX1450 seems to fit right in though, and that's where the IPR1600 is at but a hell of a lot lighter!

• Members

Yes amazon does censor unfavorable reviews. Vendors who advertise their products have the option to control the reviews.

I tend to take product reviews with a grain of salt. Even the HC product reviews are suspect because MF owns HC. I ceased providing product reviews to HC because MF added a clause that the own the copyright on the review contents and that did not bide well with me.

• Members

The behringer amps tend to be a hole filler. I needed an amp for a couple weeks doing monitor duty, I bought an EP1500 since I loaned my friend the RMX1450. Then when it was over I put in on horns in a triamp rig and there it stays. Well, the same exact thing happened and needed another utility amp and it also ended up on horns. I need to get the 1450 back!

The 2450/EP2500 fall into a weird spot where it's just a little shy for FOH SUB use and a little too much for MI grade monitors and WAY too much for bridged sub use. The RMX1450 seems to fit right in though, and that's where the IPR1600 is at but a hell of a lot lighter!

I don't think the IPR 1600 is bridgeable though.

If I had my way, I'd use one channel of the EP2500 for monitors and the other channel for the sub. It's not my PA though so I'm just offering it up for the rest of the band to use as they see fit since the PA belongs to them.

I'd rather have too much power than not enough. For the small bars we play, this is WAY too much....but...you can always turn down...

• Members

I used to say exactly the same thing back in the day, when I was younger, stronger, and less well off. My amps were all in the mid 40-50 lb and 50-60 lb class. OLD Huh?

Now I am older, not as strong....but I have enough money to pay for an easier life.

My amps now are 20 lbs or 26 lbs, (with one old Carver P1400 that is 34 lbs).

34 lbs seems heavy now and I am buying lighter gear at every opportunity for those times when I am alone, because at the end of the night....EVERYTHING feels heavy!

I used to think my 65 lb Adamsons were light.....now I don't want to lift them anymore....that is what the hired help is for......
:cool:

Humping heavy amps and speakers is a younger man's game, and that is why my son is the Roadie.

His nickname is Manuel Labour!
:lol:

Me....I am just the talent!:poke:

I'm right there with you. I'm old, frail, but unfortunately not too well off so I have to sacrifice somewhere. Over the last two years I downsized all my stuff. I went from a 70 pound 100 watt tube head and a 4x12 cab to either a 30 watt 20 pound head with a small 4x10 or 2x12 cab or a small 1x12 combo. And even with those smaller amps, I now carry everything on a folding hand truck/dolly I bought. The EP2500 will be carried on that dolly.

But like I said in my earlier post, I bought this hoping my band will want to add it to their PA and use it for our sub which needs a little more oomph behind it. If I owned the entire PA and had to carry everything myself or was building a full PA from the ground up, I'd find a way to get the extra $$$ and build it around the IPRs. And if they don't want to use it, no problem. I'll either keep it as a backup or sell it for what I paid for it. I checked ebay before I bought it and they're selling for roughly 200.00. I paid 140.00 so I should easily be able to get that back.

As it is, I'll be carrying it on wheels and I don't carry the rest of the PA so it won't be all that bad.

• Members
Yeah, the IPR would definitely be nice because of its weight but the comparable one in wattage would have cost me 400.00. For 260.00, I'm willing to lug a few more pounds around.

Just make sure you read more than just "some numbers" before deciding if an amp really puts out more power than another. How they get those numbers, even if they are legit, means just as much. As for this particular case, my thought is, if its a Behr piece and you have no warranty, it had better be dirt cheap. The price seems about right. I wouldn't go any higher unless I was stuck and needed something to get by for a few shows.

• Members

Just make sure you read more than just "some numbers" before deciding if an amp really puts out more power than another. How they get those numbers, even if they are legit, means just as much. As for this particular case, my thought is, if its a Behr piece and you have no warranty, it had better be dirt cheap. The price seems about right. I wouldn't go any higher unless I was stuck and needed something to get by for a few shows.

The new Behringer amps are using "peak" power in the marketing info BTW.

Archived