Stage Collapse at the Super Bowl...

• Members

And those are pro systems. But I'm sure anyone can do better with 2x4s, plywood, and spackle buckets.

This could happen anywhere, anytime with any level of gear. Even some of the "pro" stages that cost a hundred grand are still made of thin, lightweight aluminum.

When I build a stage (if I do). I'll be sure to document the process and possibly even follow advice and have it designed by a structural engineer!

OR, maybe I'll just buy a used stage for 30 grand, so when it collapses I have someone to sue to get back the money I lost when I was sued! ;)

{censored}ty world we live in!

• Members

With 2 being transported by helicopter, their injuries weren't minor...

Some criticize how critical Andy is when something is posted that potentially could be a safety risk. The "attitude" is there hoping to wake someone up and realize it's not as simple as it might seem.

• Members

This kind of thing happens far more often with home built kind of rigs than with properly enginmeered structures.

The problems with real stages or trusses or structures collapsing is usually traced back to improperly assembled structures, where somebody did not follow the proper procedures, overloaded the structure, damaged structure due to mis-handling, or mis-applied the structure to fit the environment. Very rarely is it due to a defect in the design or fabrication due to all the checks and balances present in the certification processes.

When I am the TD or PM on a job, it's my job to insure safety of the structure and of those working under or on it. As an engineer, I can not hide behind the argument that it was "cool", or that I didn't know. I am presumed by the State of California to know the profession which I operate in. Like a doctor or a lawyer, there are professional codes which I must operate under. If I see an unsafe situation, I have no choice but to call it out.

• Members

"It happens, and if the i's and t's aren't dotted and crossed, you're the one who loses."

Or slightly different:

if it happens, the guy who has to be flown out on a helicopter doesn't spend the rest of his life paying medical bills because your insurance company wouldn't cover the damage and you can't afford to cover the damage.

• CMS Author

Further to Andy's comments, most accidents are the result of two or more failures, not just one.

For example, 1. Someone doesn't assemble the stage correctly, and 2. Someone doesn't inspect the stage after assembly.

Or, 1. The stage is designed and assembled correctly, but 2. it is then loaded beyond capacity (by gear, water (ice,snow), wind, motion) because the correct stage wasn't specified for the intended use.

• Members

I didn't see this stage, but friends of mine (Stacey Collins Band) said that they went to a place to play, and there was a stage set up for them. The stage was six feet above the ground, and the way to it was a folding ladder. And they could just lean on the rigging section and it moved. They (rightly) steadfastly refused to set up on that stage as they are a 4 piece band with a good deal of heavy equipment that they simply could not have gotten up there.

Based on the description, I applaud them for holding their ground and insisting to be put on the customers deck instead of that death-trap stage. In music, no one should die performing. :facepalm:

Archived