How Can I Make A Bit More Money From My PA?

• Members

I own a not-so-small PA rig:

16 channel Sound Craft board (currently configured for 2 monitor channels and 2 effects channels, but can be jumppered for any combo of 4 channels);

24-channel Yamaha board (if I trade another board for it);

1500-watt FOH amp;

150-watt FOH amp;

Active crossover (which can support a mono sub, when I get one);

2 x 150 watt monitor amps (4 channels);

Several assorted monitor speakers;

1 pair JBL-Professional speakers (don't recall model, not at home right now) with 15's and very good horns;

An extra pair of very good EV horns (again, model # not recalled);

A pair of 12's with horns, brand escapes me right now, too- decent but not mind-blowing;

The usual extras- EQ, compressors, reverbs, cables, mics, etc. etc.

NOTHING is covered in rat fur.:thu:

I use the system maybe 4 times. I get about $100 to $200 per day for it, most times (occasionally for a charity event, which I usually waive my fee if I like the charity.)

I tried posting to Craig's List, but found I fielded a lots of calls but few gigs. Given the PITA of load out (home), load in (gig) load out (gig) load in drill, I found a evening gig was hardly worth the trouble. Or maybe I am charging too little? (the Pine Lake, GA Octoberfest will continue to get me and my rig for $200 for the weekend- I love that little town. Google it.)

So, for about 4 to 8 days, it's making me money (but not much.) For the other 357 of each year, it's in my garage.

How can I 1) get more bookings, and 2) get more money per booking? Or is that about what I can expect?

• Members

In my town, $200 is already more than you should expect. That would max at about $100 a night here if could find someone willing to rent it from you. It is too much for a solo gig and far too little for most bands. You are caught in the middle. Either shrink what you rent and aim for solo gigs where a soundman is required, or continue to add to the system until the rental IS worth the time.

In honesty, running a weekend warrior company is often more of a labor of love than anything else. Sorry to be so honest, but you have already found out the answer before you asked the question here.

• CMS Author

With no subs, it's no surprise you're not getting much work. Most modern-genre bands will want them.

The rig in general isn't terribly impressive on paper. Perception is reality, and you need to spruce up what you have, and know what you have....if you can't tell us which speakers you have, you can't tell a prospective customer either, and that comes across poorly.

• CMS Author

I agree with axisplayer that your fee is probably in line with your area (Georgia, right?) and that you aren't likely to get rich doing it at this level. To make more money, you'll need to invest a huge sum in a rig that'll attract much bigger acts. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll make more profit.

If it sounds negative, it is. The best way to wind up with a million bucks in the pro sound business is to start out with two million.;)

• Members

Private gigs (parties, special events) tend to pay much better than bar gigs in this area. Every one we've ever done has come about from having an "in". Network and try to make some contacts...

Maybe you could look into using your rig as a 'house system' for a small club...

Oh yeah, and what everybody else said :)

• Members

Not enough rig for any bar band that I know of :confused:

If it truly was good gear I would tend to believe you would recall the model numbers, I could tell you every model of every piece of gear I own (so couldn't the majority of the people that visit this forum).

Not knowing the models of what you have shows you probably would have a hard time selling yourself and your system to a prospective client.

I know if I was searching for a system and someone tried explaining there system as you just did here, that conversation would be over very quickly and you would not be hired....

• Members

Since you have been slammed pretty well already, I would offer up you find yourself an up and coming band and be their exclusive sound engineer. Refer to my sig line about the dedicated sound reinforcement company. Click on that link for more information about your question.

You could get equal pay from them or you could charge some fair amount equitable to you and the band.

Doing this, you may be able to work every weekend and build up your inventory. Like a mixer that can handle 4 monitor mixes AND 2 effects. That would also include amps and speakers for those mixes. And microphones and stands for those. Not to mention a complete drum mic kit. How about a matching set of main speakers as well?

All of the above and you need to have the ability to be setup in a reasonable amount of time. And, it's important that everything works every time. If it doesn't, then you must be able to make repairs on the fly and very quickly. The "sound" of the band must be consistent from night to night.

Welcome to the wide world of sound reinforcement.

• Members

Pretty much feel the same way the rest of the group does. My band has an 18k watt monster that we get paid 100-200 (if we're lucky) extra if we bring it for the gig. Most of the time the club owner doesn't even want to give us the money because they just assume we will eat the cost. I don't even want to imagine getting more out of musicians!

If you want to start making more (without getting a beast of a PA) you should look into getting some lighting. You can always throw a couple stands with cans, not add too much weight and tack a bigger payback on the bill you give bands.

Far as the 'calls and no jobs', thats how it goes. At least they are calling and you never know, keep the CL post up, word of mouth starts happening, you might break the mold and prove all of us and our suggestions wrong. Cheers!

• Members

Consider doing other events than music. High school graduations, car shows or arts and craft shows, air shows, If you have any exclusive golf courses in the area, that can pay well. Parades, think of anything that requires amplification and go after it.

I wish I could make decent $ just doing musical events, but in my area, I can't. The nice thing about some of these other events is that the risk to your equipment is really minimal. And the size of your rig would work for some of these types of events.

• Members

CL six for getting work. It's the same place where all sorts of people meet for various things (and the sickest, perviest...). I do not advertise on CL at all, and especially throw out idiotic $25/hr or $15/hr like some in my area do. The economy is tough and everyone with a pair of mackies is trying to cash in.

Wanna make a little more? Start by selling all your equipment and buying something 1 or 2 steps up. Get some par cans and a decent controller. Refer to make and model numbers of the gear and the actual wattage (not 1500w amp, 2x 300 @ 8 would be about right, then again people don't care about wattage, they want to know it works).

If band people can't regocnized you gear then they aren't interested.

Archived