DRPA: Stereo with mono sub, only output 5 used for sub info!

• Members

I guess I'm running into limitations with the DRPA but here goes. Basically most all my gigs are in stereo (dual mono). When I run mono then I keep the same presets and just use 1 side (using the XLR combiner I made earlier upstream). But...

If you want to run Stereo and mono sub(s) only the 5th output is active on the DRPA, not 5th & 6th. So basically to feed both amps I have to use an XLR splitter or jumper cable and get in the back of the rack to get both amps fed the same signal. I'm lazy, you see, I prefer to change the preset, plug in and be done with it. Anyway that bugs me. I can see the solution and still as much as I'd like it to it won't change.

I'll go thru and make new presets but I can't seem to copy/paste and then change the routing afterwards. Or can I?

• Members

I was just doing some reconfiguration with the DRPA the other day and no, if you change the input routing, you will need to rewrite the entire preset.

I usually use the 260's, but spent some time with the DRPA system configuration and operating mode setup (it's NOT in a menu), and found out that it can be split to run true dual mono signal path as well as unlink the graphic eq. I was also able to create 3 full range zones w. parametric eq. This means that using it for 2 seperate monitor mixes is indeed possible and if you use mid and high as the output routing, you have 3 parametric bands on each mix plus 1/3 octave eq, plus protection limiting.

Look as going into the wizard, first menu option which is config. You will need to choose a preset like stareo 2 way to allow the basic config, then set the crossover to all pass (set the parameters to allow all pass). NOW, you can set whatever you need to and save it as a user program.

Not something for a novice user though, easy to get mixed up since the DRPA tries to guide you to a formula solution for dummies.

• Members

Nah, I just hate it when a piece of gear ASSumes I'm trying to do something and too stupid to re-route or re-purpose. I want my amp racks to be dumb. Not heavy but they are anyway. Just a modular block that will run the variety of speakers I have and I shouldn't have to get the screwdriver out and rewire internal jumpers on speaker cabs from passive to bi-amp. If I get to a job and decide 1 dual 18 is fine then so be it, I don't like messing around inside of racks on a show. Plug and play...

• Members

I usually use the 260's, but spent some time with the DRPA system configuration and operating mode setup (it's NOT in a menu), and found out that it can be split to run true dual mono signal path as well as unlink the graphic eq. I was also able to create 3 full range zones w. parametric eq. This means that using it for 2 seperate monitor mixes is indeed possible ....

Could you give a little more instruction on how you unlinked the two graphic EQs to run two seperated channels on the DRPA? AH, believe it or not, this is huge for DRPA owners.

Boomerweps

• Members

Recall a user preset

Push Wizard

Select System Setup

Select stereo under Input setup

Push Next Page

Select dual mono option under stereo/mono GEQ config

Next choose the basic configuration, say for 2 channels of non-biamped monitors, select SR4726X (PASSIVE)

Select None for subs

Select custom for power amplifier

Hit program to get you into the program screen (out of wizard mode)

Now store this in a user slot

You now have split GEQ, the feedback destroyer, subharmonic synth and input comp remain linked but it's not important.

NOW, this is how to split the graphic. The output modules remain linked due to the left/right configuration of the basic architecture. For most folks this is ok because IF they are using the same amps (or 2 channels of the same amp) for the two mixes and the same monitor boxes, you can set the output parametrics so that all of the boxes will receive the same basic box correction eq. The limiters will be linked but if you find you are hitting the limiters that hard you might want to bring the stage volume down a little.

For a more advanced approach, the output modules may also be unlinked by using a software back-door trick that's unique to the DR line in that all crossover modules can be configured as all pass.

Without going through the exact steps, the premise is that you choose the SR4726X as a BIAMPED box, select stereo subs, select all amps as custom and load then store.

Then enter the crossover module, mid will be monitor 1, high will be monitor 2

select the mid band, set the HPF to 40Hz, BW-24, gain + 0dB, next screen setthe LPF to "out", LR-24

do exactly the same thing to the high frequency band.

The low band is unused so it does not matter how this is set.

You MUST then enter the high and mid eq module and flatten the original box correction (educational... note the CD horn eq correction used in their original program) on each band. There is no default data in the limiter modules so that's fine. You must remove any delay in the delay module.

Done.

Now, since there's no access routing module, you must manually route the signals via hardware.

Mix 1 goes into left input and comes out of left mid out.

Mix 2 goes in right input and comes out right high out.

Label things very carefully. Double-check all of your work.

I know I get a lot of grief here from some folks that assume I'm some old fu*k that's technically (and in one accusation, mentally) challenged. That's simply not true but I am keenly aware that it's incredibly easy for the average guy to fu*k this kind of thing up in ways that I could never dream of. I design this stuff for a living, I understand a lot more of the details about how this stuff works internally than these pricks give me credit for.

Disclaimer... there's a lot of detail involved in this. You must be very careful not to miss any steps and to double-check to be sure every module is correctly programmed and routed. I like to start with a fresh unit that's been hard and soft-reset to be sure there's no residual data left in the registers.

• Members

No problem.

Once you understand how the filter and routing/assigning macro logic is built around the basic tree, the tricks become obvious. Once you played around with all the different DR products, you as an old school programmer (like me) would recognize some of the tricks too. ;)

• Members

I guess I'm running into limitations with the DRPA but here goes. Basically most all my gigs are in stereo (dual mono). When I run mono then I keep the same presets and just use 1 side (using the XLR combiner I made earlier upstream). But...

What are you combining and why?

• Members

In reality If it's a mono PA then I prolly got lazy and amp using a yamaha P7000 and the internal crossover. It's saves a LOT of space over dragging out a 12ps amp rack with 4 amps and DRPA. I'd sum mono then for sure.

But sometimes I prefer to run only 1 dual 18 vs 2 singles and then I want to sum L&R in the sub bandpass. I'd like output 5 & 6 be identical and then it doesn't matter which amp a speaker gets plugged into, and maybe I want subs in mono for the helluvit. maybe maybe maybe...

• CMS Author

No problem.

Once you understand how the filter and routing/assigning macro logic is built around the basic tree, the tricks become obvious. Once you played around with all the different DR products, you as an old school programmer (like me) would recognize some of the tricks too.
;)

Yeah, I pretty much accepted the block diagram as it is, and haven't experimented with the controls. As an old-school programmer, I assume things are as written, and that options are published.;):lol:

• CMS Author

In reality If it's a mono PA then I prolly got lazy and amp using a yamaha P7000 and the internal crossover. It's saves a LOT of space over dragging out a 12ps amp rack with 4 amps and DRPA. I'd sum mono then for sure.

But sometimes I prefer to run only 1 dual 18 vs 2 singles and then I want to sum L&R in the sub bandpass. I'd like output 5 & 6 be identical and then it doesn't matter which amp a speaker gets plugged into, and maybe I want subs in mono for the helluvit. maybe maybe maybe...

For subs it doesn't matter. If you've already got the infrastructure in place (dsp, amps and wiring) for stereo/dual-mono, may as well just leave it in place and not worry about changing the program. What difference would there be?

• Members

Yeah, I pretty much accepted the block diagram as it is, and haven't experimented with the controls. As an old-school programmer, I assume things are as written, and that options are published.
;):lol:

As did I.

But then again, I wrote small business apps. in Fortran, bucking the Cobal/Algol crowd. That was a very long time ago.

Archived