Heavy gear's gotta go. Need something lighter.

• Members

My Brothers,

We're tired of lugging our sound rig known as "The Beast." It's all Peavey gear, but heavy. We have (2) SP-2 single 15 tops with (2) SP 118 subs, all powered by a tri-amped rack rig including (3) GPS 1500 amps, crossover, EQ, and power supply, and a (20) channel mixer.

We play "Old School Rock and Roll" and 50's and 60's dance music in small to medium clubs. Piano, bass, guitar, drums, sax and (4) vocals. If we play outside or a festival type venue, we rent an appropriate size rig.

We're thinking about trading all of this in and get a Peavey XR-8600 powered mixer and (2) Peavey SP-4's with a horn and twin 15's in each. We can reuse our (20) channel mixer. We're all in our 50's and 60's.

Thoughts please?

• Members

I'd say PRX and you'd lose the amp rack. Pretty light too. The MRX is comperable to the SP series in performance and price. 515 over 518's or 528's. You could use the QSC GX5's or Crown XTi2k and 4, Yamaha P5000 and P7000. Hang on to your crossover if using passive boxes.

• Members

Have a look at QSC's new powered boxes - the K series. Very lightweight, compact and high performance. A pair of K10s over a pair of Ksubs would rock the house and be easy to move. 6 year warranty as well - one of the best in the industry.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members
Have a look at QSC's new powered boxes - the K series. Very lightweight, compact and high performance. A pair of K10s over a pair of Ksubs would rock the house and be easy to move. 6 year warranty as well - one of the best in the industry.

Don't like your Titans over Proels idea anymore? These guys are 50+ so probably don't do stoopid loud anymore and do 50's and 60's music where you don't need that stoopid loud kick sound everybody goes for these days :lol:.

• Members

Don't like your Titans over Proels idea anymore? These guys are 50+ so probably don't do stoopid loud anymore and do 50's and 60's music where you don't need that stoopid loud kick sound everybody goes for these days
:lol:

Absolutely. +1 on the Titan 12 actives and Proels :thu:

You had mentionned them, so I decided to give yet another option to the OP. The Titans and Proels would be even more affordable, actually. I'm really hoping other people will get a chance to try out these powered tops. My dealer just brought in some of the black ones and they are beautiful. He had them paired with a set of LS720Ps.

Al :)

• Members

The Titan's and Proel is a good choice,. very light and the price is very good.The Three bands I play in are in the same age bracket, so weight is a major factor, if we want any chance of longevity.PS The one Band I play in, the sound guy just bought the K2 12 and the K2 sub, which we used SAT. Nice but a little more money.

• Members
Just swapping your top cabs could help significantly. And maybe sway out the GPX amps for IPRs as you go. That would leave you with just the subs as being semi-heavy.

Yes, the SP118's really aren't that heavy for what they are. The Titans are biamped so you could lose two amps with them and still have your triamped "sound" - plus they are under 30 lbs each. I know those SP2's are stoopid heavy and unlike the subs have to be lifted up. You didn't say whether you're running the SP118's one per side or bridged? Are they the 250w, 350w, or 500w "version"? 4 or 8 ohms? Assuming they are one of the lower powered versions and not bridged the Titans will easily keep up with them - even if you had four of them :eek:. You'd probably be giving us some low end with the Proel's but maybe not if you're only running 320w @ 8 ohms into each from a non-bridged GPS-1500 :).

• Members

Either the K-10's, K-12's over the K-sub or the PRX-512 over PRX-518 would be ideal. Powered, processed, lightweight, convenient and really not that expensive. With both examples, the processing between subs and tops is complimentary and works exceptionally well.

• Members

My Brothers,

We're tired of lugging our sound rig known as "The Beast." It's all Peavey gear, but heavy. We have (2) SP-2 single 15 tops with (2) SP 118 subs, all powered by a tri-amped rack rig including (3) GPS 1500 amps, crossover, EQ, and power supply, and a (20) channel mixer.

We play "Old School Rock and Roll" and 50's and 60's dance music in small to medium clubs. Piano, bass, guitar, drums, sax and (4) vocals. If we play outside or a festival type venue, we rent an appropriate size rig.

We're thinking about trading all of this in and get a Peavey XR-8600 powered mixer and (2) Peavey SP-4's with a horn and twin 15's in each. We can reuse our (20) channel mixer. We're all in our 50's and 60's.

Thoughts please?

I have recently been using 2 of my 4 EV Force monitors,(28 lbs each), over with a single 70 lb sub for small tracks shows of less than 100 ppl over the past three years.

I used them with a 21 lb amp that is 425 rms into 8 ohms 20-20K for the sub and 620 into 4 ohms 20-20K split between the two EV Force Monitors. I run the Forces conservatively and do not push them.

I really got to like the little rig, but I thought that the tops would not be enough for the band unless they were run pretty hard. If I used all 4 of them,and either one or two 70 lb subs, I would still need two amps and thus add more weight, as would the additional 56 lbs from the other two monitors.

I started to look for either a pair of EV SX300s or JBL MRX-512Ms. I got a pair of MRX-512Ms in very good condition at a price i could not walk away from. 33 lbs a box!

I am thinking that the pair of those and a single 70 lb sub would give me 136 lbs in speakers. I am just about to get a QSC 1804 at 13 lbs to be used with a crossover and EQ. 550 rms @ 8 ohms for that single 70 lb sub orone of my LS608s or LS808s, and 800 rms @ 4 ohms, (split 400 rms each into the MRX-512Ms), would give me all I need for shows of 125-150 ppl.

Without running the snot out of them.

Add a pair of stands, one of my 6 space racks, and my backup Mackie DFX-6 mixer would give me a great 3 vocals and miked Kick Drum for those little gigs.

The Peavey XR8600 would work too with 360 rms @ 8 ohms and 500 rms into 4 ohms, both channels driven.....I don't know if that is at 1K or 20-20K.

I don't like all in one mixer/amp boxes and forget the horn over two 15" boxes. Those SP-4 speakers are 127 lbs each.

The former can take out two pieces of gear/ both mixer and amp if it goes down....and the latter is a recipe for making mud.

The gear feels much heavier at the end of the night!

• Members

I have recently been using 2 of my 4 EV Force monitors,(28 lbs each), over with a single 70 lb sub for small tracks shows of less than 100 ppl over the past three years.

I used them with a 21 lb amp that is 425 rms into 8 ohms 20-20K for the sub and 620 into 4 ohms 20-20K split between the two EV Force Monitors. I run the Forces conservatively and do not push them.

I really got to like the little rig, but I thought that the tops would not be enough for the band unless they were run pretty hard. If I used all 4 of them,and either one or two 70 lb subs, I would still need two amps and thus add more weight, as would the additional 56 lbs from the other two monitors.

I started to look for either a pair of EV SX300s or JBL MRX-512Ms. I got a pair of MRX-512Ms in very good condition at a price i could not walk away from. 33 lbs a box!

I am thinking that the pair of those and a single 70 lb sub would give me 136 lbs in speakers. I am just about to get a QSC 1804 at 13 lbs to be used with a crossover and EQ. 550 rms @ 8 ohms for that single 70 lb sub orone of my LS608s or LS808s, and 800 rms @ 4 ohms, (split 400 rms each into the MRX-512Ms), would give me all I need for shows of 125-150 ppl.

Without running the snot out of them.

Add a pair of stands, one of my 6 space racks, and my backup Mackie DFX-6 mixer would give me a great 3 vocals and miked Kick Drum for those little gigs.

The Peavey XR8600 would work too with 360 rms @ 8 ohms and 500 rms into 4 ohms, both channels driven.....I don't know if that is at 1K or 20-20K.

I don't like all in one mixer/amp boxes and forget the horn over two 15" boxes. Those SP-4 speakers are 127 lbs each.

The former can take out two pieces of gear/ both mixer and amp if it goes down....and the latter is a recipe for making mud.

The gear feels much heavier at the end of the night!

OK OK, your post is all about how much X weighs and how much power X is. Make and Model please. If we want to google then fine. Ow my head hurts. I don't like guessing what it is.

ASSuming the amp rack is really heavy. Yeah it is. You bought small amps and bridged them. Then you buy lots of amps. Buy smaller, more powerful amps (QSC PLX3602, Yamaha P7000) and run stereo.

2x single 18's? Well, this is going to sound bad but. Physics says subs have to be a certain physical size. All the suggestions I've read would be good for a single SP118 comparison. 2 singles is dual 18 territory, and thats getting into big boy territory. Truth is, with my own band I use single 18's about 40% of the time: private gigs, weddings, small corporate, small club. When I "provide" I only use dual 18's. Why? the client is the band. They don't own dual 18's at all. to them it's slightly absurd and a big dick thing too. In fact the more dual 18's they get the happier they are and put up with a bad monitor mix (if that's what they want). the more I know a band and a room, the more likely it is I'll bring a single 18 per side out, and it's appropriate.

You've either got to figure out how to make only 1 pair of single 18's work for you (good soundguy is where i'd start) or double down and get a good dual 18 box, MRX528 makes a great speaker stand. You have the amps now, as heavy as they are. Speakers are the bulkiest.

hope that helps.

• Members

OK OK, your post is all about how much X weighs and how much power X is. Make and Model please. If we want to google then fine. Ow my head hurts. I don't like guessing what it is.

ASSuming the amp rack is really heavy. Yeah it is. You bought small amps and bridged them. Then you buy lots of amps. Buy smaller, more powerful amps (QSC PLX3602, Yamaha P7000) and run stereo.

2x single 18's? Well, this is going to sound bad but. Physics says subs have to be a certain physical size. All the suggestions I've read would be good for a single SP118 comparison. 2 singles is dual 18 territory, and thats getting into big boy territory. Truth is, with my own band I use single 18's about 40% of the time: private gigs, weddings, small corporate, small club. When I "provide" I only use dual 18's. Why? the client is the band. They don't own dual 18's at all. to them it's slightly absurd and a big dick thing too. In fact the more dual 18's they get the happier they are and put up with a bad monitor mix (if that's what they want). the more I know a band and a room, the more likely it is I'll bring a single 18 per side out, and it's appropriate.

You've either got to figure out how to make only 1 pair of single 18's work for you (good soundguy is where i'd start) or double down and get a good dual 18 box, MRX528 makes a great speaker stand. You have the amps now, as heavy as they are. Speakers are the bulkiest.

hope that helps.

The amp I referred to is a Soundtech PS1300.....It was dirt cheap and I use it for monitor duty, running all four EV Force Monitors with the band. I have had it for 8 years.

Refurbished from Warpdrive for $195 US.

How did bridging get into this at all? There is no need to bridge anything into two MRX-512Ms and one sub for the small gigs like the OP's requirement. Two MRX512ms on one channel and one sub on the other channel.

I don't bridge anything EVER and own several amps including 2 Yamaha PS5000s and PS7000s. I have 7 amps....all but two are less than 26 lbs each. The heavy amps went years ago.

Run two single different 18s??? Where did you get that idea? I said I could use one of my light 6th order bandpass subs or an Ls608 or an Ls808.

I have 4 LS608s and a pair of LS808s...(which for your sake of you head hurting are never mixed). I meant either one or the other used as a single. I could easily use two of either at any time. The idea was to keep it to one amp. I used to have 4 Ls808s...but decided that four Ls608s are 30 lbs each lighter and do the job easily.

The 70 lb sub is a 6th order bandpass box and I built 50 pairs of them back in the mid 80s, when light subs were just NOT available. They have a very flat response and are arround 101 db 1w1m.

My tops are 4 Adamson MH121 for larger gigs....They are 65 lbs each. I no longer like lifting them alone and for medium gigs up to 500-600 ppl, I have the band to help me. Two guys on 65 lbs is easy.

As far as needing a soundguy goes....I have been building, designing speakers, and running sound for over 30 years. I don't need anyone's help.

The larger gigs that I Emcee and perform at are all sound provided for by the venue. I have performed in front of crowds over 10,000 ppl and over 4000 on many occasions.

Perhaps you really need to reread my original post.

Googling will not help you with my 70 lb, (Up and Downstairs), 15" 6th order bandpass subs. Any decent passive light sub under 75 lbs will suffice for this application.

The OP wanted suggestions about light and easy.

I just wanted a light system where I can still use my monitors on the stage for those who cannot work without monitors, and not have to deal with heavier tops in smaller gigs with the band.

That is why I bought the MRX512Ms.....to use at smaller gigs such as those the OP was talking about.

• Members

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

Only concern I would have for a 50s & 60 dance rock band would be the width of the subs. The K system does sound great but some care will be needed to make sure the subs don

• Members

We used a K12 over K Sub per side as outer fills for a larger system 2 weeks ago. They sounded fine. They did appear to be a little less than ideally stable but were protected from the crowd. A bar situation might be different. Sound quality seemed good though.

• Members

We used a K12 over K Sub per side as outer fills for a larger system 2 weeks ago. They sounded fine. They did appear to be a little less than ideally stable but were protected from the crowd. A bar situation might be different. Sound quality seemed good though.

The systems that I heard did sound good. Maybe QSC should make some kind of support system for the K Sub.

Archived