QSC Widelime GP218 Subwoofer... WOWAWEEWAH!

• Members

EDIT ; Would an admin mind changing the spelling of the subject above to "Wideline" - I fat-fingered it! Oops.

Just picked up the new sub from my GC Pro rep at Guitar Center on Monday evening.

Lets take a journey into Monday evening.

Left work, went home, picked up my equipment truck and drove over to Guitar Center. Lucky enough to even get rockstar parking right in front of the door on Boylston St. -- a modern miracle by Boston standards.

Upon walking into the store and over to the Pro Audio department, there she was... on the floor, unboxed (I told my rep he could do so), and sitting on it's dolly, looking very pretty. My rep tells me that since he's unboxed it an hour ago, nearly every employee was googly-eyed looking at it... not to mention all the customers in Pro Audio were asking about this QSC sub they've never seen before.

So we pull out my rack and my TQ445DP's and set them up. Plug in the cables, set the crossovers and eq's on the Driverack. Plugged in the iPod and hit play on some Lady Gaga (Great for low end synth sounds), and pushed the main faders up to -20db. Out came the most crystal clear, low end outside of any concert hall. Tight, Punchy, and DEEP all at the same time.

Pushing the faders up to -10db, you could FEEL everything groovin. And no drop in clarity. Up to -0- unity. HOLY SCHNIKEES... The store was shaking! Nearly every employee in the store came over to give it a listen and was Iraq style Shock-and-Awed.

I could not be happier with the purchase. For having a TINY rig that puts out concert quality sound and takes up less than 30 cu ft (speakers and rack) of space... able to put out 131db continuous (if ever needed) - Subs put out 134.5db cont / 140.5db peak - I feel that this setup is a Home Run.

HUGE HUGE thanks to Bob Lee & Jon Graves at QSC for providing tech data and recommended EQ and Crossover settings... and to all the advice people have given on these forums.

• Members

191lbs yep, but on a dolly its very portable... and wheels up nicely via ramp into our van. Well worth it.

Suprisingly, the cost of this sub + amp (depending on who you go thru) is about the same as buying (4) HPR181's... and sounds bigger, drives deeper, and takes less space than that as well!

• Members

191lbs yep, but on a dolly its very portable... and wheels up nicely via ramp into our van. Well worth it.

Suprisingly, the cost of this sub + amp (depending on who you go thru) is about the same as buying (4) HPR181's... and sounds bigger, drives deeper, and takes less space than that as well!

Is that for a pair of subs or just one?:eek:

• Members

Just curious where you will place it? Looks like you do weddings and I'd think most of those would be setup on the floor (no stage) so no room to center it? Also that sub should be good for rock concert level for 500 indoors, do you really play that loud at weddings?

• Members

Just curious where you will place it? Looks like you do weddings and I'd think most of those would be setup on the floor (no stage) so no room to center it? Also that sub should be good for rock concert level for 500 indoors, do you really play that loud at weddings?

-It will be centered... and also used to raise the monitors for the vocalists. Crazy enough, it's only 20" tall, so sight-lines are preserved fairly well.

- As far as 'loudness' at weddings. That's a multi-part answer. Technically the answer to this question is a resounding "NO". We do not need to be pushing the subs to the limit, and I don't intend to. I plan on having the amp backed off to -6db. And in the Driverack 260 keeping levels in-check.

The "BUT" of the answer comes in two parts....

-Our old system was (2) HPR153's over (2) HPR181's and it did very well, except on our larger shows of 400+ people in huge ballrooms. At that point, the HPR's would run out of gas... otherwise, an very solid system. So I wanted to get something as compact but could push a few more db's out.

- Secondly, There are only a handful of wedding bands in Boston that bring out "good" sound / lighting. Many bring out a set of MRX tops on sticks with a pair of par cans a side and call it a day, no joke. There are no Boston GB bands out there that bring in their own "heavy duty" sound and LED / DMX lighting.... until now. :wave:

I'm playing the angle of catering to the new 'breed' of brides that wants as close to a total rock/club show as possible.... and not just a band that's going to play the ol'skool stuff. We do all of that in the first set, then progress into Classic Rock and current Pop Rock / R&B stuff. We even include a DJ/MC with our packages so that he spins while we're on break, so the party doesn't stop. Over the last few years, we've carved a niche in the market, last year things really took off and now we're booked solid for 2010.

In order to deliver on that promise to make our clients feel like total rockstars... I wanted a heavy duty system that would be as close to actual "concert" quality as possible. And, I believe I've achieved just that.

Now, the consideration I have to make is... what happens when we play a tiny club and don't need to bring in the GP218. I'm considering picking up a LS720p or LS700p and Aux feeding it. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

• Members

Thanks for the reply! For the record I'm not trying to give you crap - I'm truly interested as most of the gigs I get are floor level.

It will be centered... and also used to raise the monitors for the vocalists. Crazy enough, it's only 20" tall, so sight-lines are preserved
fairly
well.

I'd be concerned about blocking the view of the performer's feet - I even dislike big horn-over-woofer floor monitors doing that. Then you place the floor monitors on top of the sub? I'll have to check out your website for a view of that :).

EDIT> I didn't see yous guys set up like that? I usually cluster a pair of single 18's but put them on one side or the other angled in towards the dance floor.

• Members

-It will be centered... and also used to raise the monitors for the vocalists. Crazy enough, it's only 20" tall, so sight-lines are preserved
fairly
well.

- As far as 'loudness' at weddings. That's a multi-part answer. Technically the answer to this question is a resounding "NO". We do not need to be pushing the subs to the limit, and I don't intend to. I plan on having the amp backed off to -6db. And in the Driverack 260 keeping levels in-check.

The "BUT" of the answer comes in two parts....

-Our old system was (2) HPR153's over (2) HPR181's and it did very well, except on our larger shows of 400+ people in huge ballrooms. At that point, the HPR's would run out of gas... otherwise, an very solid system. So I wanted to get something as compact but could push a few more db's out.

- Secondly, There are only a handful of wedding bands in Boston that bring out "good" sound / lighting. Many bring out a set of MRX tops on sticks with a pair of par cans a side and call it a day, no joke. There are no Boston GB bands out there that bring in their own "heavy duty" sound and LED / DMX lighting.... until now.
:wave:

I'm playing the angle of catering to the new 'breed' of brides that wants as close to a total rock/club show as possible.... and not just a band that's going to play the ol'skool stuff. We do all of that in the first set, then progress into Classic Rock and current Pop Rock / R&B stuff. We even include a DJ/MC with our packages so that he spins while we're on break, so the party doesn't stop. Over the last few years, we've carved a niche in the market, last year things really took off and now we're booked solid for 2010.

In order to deliver on that promise to make our clients feel like total rockstars... I wanted a heavy duty system that would be as close to actual "concert" quality as possible. And, I believe I've achieved just that.

Now, the consideration I have to make is... what happens when we play a tiny club and don't need to bring in the GP218. I'm considering picking up a LS720p or LS700p and Aux feeding it. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Wait a few months before you leap! Meaning that Turbosound will be releasing its Milan powered sub soon. Im not sure if it will be called the Milan but thats the name giving to there new powered speakers and this is apart of that line.

Archived