New from EV . . . WOW!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good Lord Bill, That's a nice looking box. Have you actually heard one yet? Just wondering how that box would sound with acoustic-guitar and vocals. Ev's usually impress me with vocal clarity/intelligibility. Any "bottom-end"?(Thinking "fullness")

What price-range are we looking at?

Less than 20lbs, would be WoW! indeed.

Bob

• Members

Question is are they "real" watts or QSC "K" watts
:freak:

Proper processing will allow the speaker to be used with APPROPRIATE watts no matter what the amp size is.

IMO, the K series processing is very appropriate regardless of the available amplifier power... which really is 500 watts RMS on the bottom and 500 watts RMS on the top. Having 500 watts on the top is just fine with the proper processing which is what QSC did with this product. I don't see your continuous problem with this. It works very, very well.

• Members
I don't see your continuous problem with this. It works very, very well.

If Yamaha put a 500w amp on the LF and 500w on the HF of a powered version of the Club (properly limited of course) and advertised it as a 1000w speaker :freak: I'd give them {censored} about it too :mad:. Question on the EV is what is the continuous RMS power sent to the drivers?

• Members

Proper processing will allow the speaker to be used with APPROPRIATE watts no matter what the amp size is.

IMO, the K series processing is very appropriate regardless of the available amplifier power... which really is 500 watts RMS on the bottom and 500 watts RMS on the top. Having 500 watts on the top is just fine with the proper processing which is what QSC did with this product. I don't see your continuous problem with this. It works very, very well.

Andy,

I think QSC's marketing of this line as a 1000w speaker is what creates a bit of skepticism. It's sorta self-defeating in that regard. Probably a fine box though.

Bob

• CMS Author

If Yamaha put a 500w amp on the LF and 500w on the HF of a powered version of the Club (properly limited of course) and advertised it as a 1000w speaker
:freak:
I'd give them {censored} about it too
:mad:

If the amps weren't able to deliver anywhere near the advertised, that would be justifiable {censored}-giving. But they can, and because it's well-harnessed, it doesn't blow diaphragms to kingdom-come.

• Members

what does it matter? do they sound good, is it an appropriate choice for your needs. if it's a 500 watt amp but attn/limited down to around a hundred for the HF that would be the same thing we might do if we had a plx1104..but we wouldn't say we had 500 running the tops. let the marketing types have their fun

• Members

the thing sound amazing i think, at least at first listen, at the namm show where the din ambient noise is like 100db!

Witesol,

What kind of music were they pumping through these things? Can you comment on vocal intelligibility? Fullness at the bottom-end?

Bob

• Members

i think they played some john mayer for me..like i said they were tricking people by playing the "ZX5", but inside was hollowed out and the little ZXa1 was actually playing. Well, the passive ZX1 is very surprising by itself, lots of low end for an 8. i like EV stuff in general. Wouldn't hesitate to own these for a small gig, even a small band. these over the 760 active subs would be a rockin little system. i think they said around $600map

• Members
Well, the passive ZX1 is very surprising by itself, lots of low end for an 8.

Keep in mind that many active speakers use a lot of dynamic EQ to extend the low end at low to moderate SPL. Problem is you crank them up to "live concert" SPL and that low end goes away. In any case that's not an issue if you have them over subs :).

• Members

Keep in mind that many active speakers use a lot of dynamic EQ to extend the low end at low to moderate SPL. Problem is you crank them up to "live concert" SPL and that low end goes away. In any case that's not an issue if you have them over subs
:)

like i mentioned the "regular" passive ZX1 has surprising low end

• Members

Good Lord Bill, That's a nice looking box. Have you actually heard one yet? Just wondering how that box would sound with acoustic-guitar and vocals. Ev's usually impress me with vocal clarity/intelligibility. Any "bottom-end"?(Thinking "fullness")

What price-range are we looking at?

Less than 20lbs, would be WoW! indeed.

Bob

We have a pair of the regular ZX1's. I am a big fan of that box. The regular ZX1's are around $300/box.

As for the bottom end, IMHO it has more low end than any 8" has the right to have. When I first heard them, the local EV reps had one pole mounted over the companion SB122 plastic 12" sub. I told them the box sounded nice, but I wanted to hear just the ZX1 and not the sub. Their response was "You are hearing just the ZX1. The sub is unplugged." and they showed me the neutrik cable for the sub . I told them I didn't believe them and I would have to check the wiring. They were right, I checked the wiring from the CD player to the box, no special processing, no EQ work, nothing. I was very impressed.

We have used the ZX1s on top of a QRx 218 sub as a drum monitor, and with a 100Hz crossover point it is plenty warm in the low mids.

We also set up a direct A/B comparison with our pair of EV SX300's and the ZX1 sounded better and went lower than the SX300. The 300's were a bit louder, but not as much as I expected.

As for the mids/highs. The ZX1 sounds better than the SX300. The HF element is very smooth and I found it to be better than most of EV's line that I heard at the demp until you get to the DH7 used in the QRx series. That is quite a feat for a $300 box!

If you are using subs, or don't need a lot of low end, I think the ZX1 is an amazing little box.

• Members

$499, a no brainer then. $200 for an amp, controls, mic pre, line in, highpass..be a good monitor too

My thoughts exactly. I love EV stuff. I'd really like to replace my heeeaaaavvvyyy Yorkville powered monitor with something that sounds just as good but doesn't give me a sprain every time I try to move it and that doesn't cost $1000. This might be just the ticket.

• Members

I gotta say, though, the labeling on the back is confusing.

"Mains In" at the power? (nice to see they aren't using the PowerCon gizmo for this)

"Mic In" for the main XLR input?

"Line In" for the 1/4" input - what happens when someone puts a speaker load into it, I wonder?

Just curious, and I surely don't claim to know enough to say anything's wrong, really, just potentially confusing for this weekend warrior.

• Members

I gotta say, though, the labeling on the back is confusing.

"Mains In" at the power? (nice to see they aren't using the PowerCon gizmo for this)

"Mic In" for the main XLR input?

"Line In" for the 1/4" input - what happens when someone puts a speaker load into it, I wonder?

Just curious, and I surely don't claim to know enough to say anything's wrong, really, just potentially confusing for this weekend warrior.

I don't have a problem with the labeling. Mains In is a standard power label.

Mic In is just that, it has a variable gain adjustment.

Line In is just that. Line level in with the choice of XLR or TRS.

• Members

........I am sure the EVZX1 sounds fabulous.....But the Zx1 is still 94db 1w1m with a 29 db max peak gain....123 db theoretical max peak SPL.:rolleyes:

It is therefore 117 db max continuous output in either configuration.

It is just not efficient enough for anything other than small venues for DJs and not nearly enough for FOH for a band.

Could be just dandy for vocals from an acoustic trio or a house party with a sub.

It is akin to powereing a speaker rated at 129 db theoretical max peak SPL, with 1/4 of it's rated power, since 123 db max peak is what 1/4 the power would put out, in theoretical max peak.

God knows how many ppl would scream bloody murder with that sort of UNDERPOWERING!:eek:....:poke:

But a speaker that is capable of that number while being driven at the ragged edge of it's capabilities deserves a WOW?:confused:

Lets just keep this in persective here.:idea:

:thu:

Archived