XTi 2000

• Members

Was thinking about getting one of these for some LAB subs I'm building. Price seems good, but is there something else out there I should consider?

Were you planning on bridging it? It is really too much power bridged (and you'd need one per lab sub) and not enough otherwise. An RMX2450 not bridged would be minimum IMO.

EDIT> Oh yah - a GX5 would be just fine too. You'd need an RMX4050HD to drive four of them and that would be stoopid loud :love:.

• Members

Were you planning on bridging it? It is really too much power bridged (and you'd need one per lab sub) and not enough otherwise. An RMX2450 not bridged would be minimum IMO.

Wasnt gonna bridge. I'm semi retarded when it comes to ohms laws and such so I very well could be wrong. But i was just going to have 2 subs each side. They are 500 watts each @ 8ohms, but being horn loaded its about 10ohms. So I thought it would match up pretty good.

• Members

Wasnt gonna bridge. I'm semi retarded when it comes to ohms laws and such so I very well could be wrong. But i was just going to have 2 subs each side. They are 500 watts each @ 8ohms, but being horn loaded its about 10ohms. So I thought it would match up pretty good.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-570

Each lab sub is 800wrms @ 4 ohms (two 400wrms @ 8 ohm drivers in each). If you are going to have four definitely the RMX4050HD or find a used iTech 4000. Local guy here has eight of them and powers them with iTech 8000's but he has them properly limited. Four lab subs off a 4kw amp oughta be good for 1000 people indoors - they really are stoopid loud :love:.

• Members

I would recommend powering those subs at around the RMS rating more or less. the 4050 would be a good choice for 2 per side, but the 2450 would be fine at 2 per side. Same goes for the GX-5.

Reliability has been a problem for those who have powered beyond the RMS level, but if you are careful and follow the HPF recommendations without fail, I would expect reasonable reliability up to around 1.5x the RMS rating. I have seen some of these failed drivers and there's a combination of both mechanical and thermal failures depending on the power levels used. They are a bit of a difficult driver to recone, and generally the cost exceeds just buying a new driver. I don't know if they are even supplying kits to their qualified recone partners on this driver. There were also several production variations manufactured due to the abuse these drivers have seen by some of the customers.

• Members

Maybe I just have my terminology wrong. These are the drivers:

http://www.eminence.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=kappalite3012lf&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=3

From being horn loaded that add some impedance. Thats why I said each would be 10ohms. Sorry if I caused a bunch of confusion, I just recently started actually learning more about live sound and equipment used. I mostly am building these things because its a blast, and if I can get some use out of them that a plus :thu:

• Members

I would recommend powering those subs at around the RMS rating more or less. the 4050 would be a good choice for 2 per side, but the 2450 would be fine at 2 per side. Same goes for the GX-5.

Reliability has been a problem for those who have powered beyond the RMS level, but if you are careful and follow the HPF recommendations without fail, I would expect reasonable reliability up to around 1.5x the RMS rating. I have seen some of these failed drivers and there's a combination of both mechanical and thermal failures depending on the power levels used. They are a bit of a difficult driver to recone, and generally the cost exceeds just buying a new driver. I don't know if they are even supplying kits to their qualified recone partners on this driver. There were also several production variations manufactured due to the abuse these drivers have seen by some of the customers.

I will be high passing them at 40 or 45Hz depending on if I'm using 4 or 2. I thought this could be done on the XTi amp itself, but after reading the manual it looks like I was mistaken.

• Members

That ain't the guy - it was Tom Danley
:facepalm:

Okay... Whoever designed these is who recommended the driver I'm using. I just know that you guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do. That's why I am getting your opinion on what to use to drive them. I just wanted to make sure that I gave all the relevant information. I didnt do very well at the start, but I think we are there.

You still recommend the RMX 4050HD?

• Members

Are you building Lab Subs? If so, you REALLY need to use the proper drivers. Otherwise, power handling amy be as low as 1/2 the rated number and performance will suffer greatly too.

Like I said earlier, my terminology may have been off at the start. My apologies. I was always under the impression that Lab was a generic term. Off to do some reading now so I don't make this mistake again!

• CMS Author

Okay... Whoever designed these is who recommended the driver I'm using. I just know that you guys know a lot more about this stuff than I do. That's why I am getting your opinion on what to use to drive them. I just wanted to make sure that I gave all the relevant information. I didnt do very well at the start, but I think we are there.

You still recommend the RMX 4050HD?

Just to be clear, are you still planning to use the Kappalite, or will you be using the recommended LAB12?

http://www.eminence-speaker.com/proaudio_speaker_detail.asp?web_detail_link=LAB12&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=1

• Members

The plans I am using call for the Kappalite. I have 1 almost finished, so thats when I will decide if I should make more or not. But I figured planning ahead in choosing an amp would be a good idea. They are cheap to build so if i dislike it I'm only out about $300.

• Members
The plans I am using call for the Kappalite. I have 1 almost finished, so thats when I will decide if I should make more or not. But I figured planning ahead in choosing an amp would be a good idea. They are cheap to build so if i dislike it I'm only out about $300.

Why don't you post a link to the plans so's we'll know WTF you're talkin' about :p?

• Members

Those are NOT Lab Subs, a totally different animal.

The Kappa Lites are fine powered around 350-400 watts RMS per driver. That's really the point of diminishing returns.

The reason for the confusion is because the Lab Subs use a pair of 6.? ohm drivers in a single box to achieve a NOMINAL 4 ohm load.

You really need to be very clear when you describe something here, there are too many ways to confuse something using the wrong terminology, getting the wrong answer.

• Members

Those are NOT Lab Subs, a totally different animal.

The Kappa Lites are fine powered around 350-400 watts RMS per driver. That's really the point of diminishing returns.

The reason for the confusion is because the Lab Subs use a pair of 6.? ohm drivers in a single box to achieve a NOMINAL 4 ohm load.

You really need to be very clear when you describe something here, there are too many ways to confuse something using the wrong terminology, getting the wrong answer.

Right, my apologies. I thought I had it sorted out half way through the thread, I was wrong. Ill edit the first post to clear up the confusion further.

Archived