Question Regarding NEW PA system with Powered Mains

• Members

I am in the process of purchasing a NEW PA system for my band. I am very new to this side of music so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are a country cover/original band.

Below is the setup that I am looking at:

Yahmaha MG166CX Mixer

Mains

Either of the following:

Mackie TH15A 15" Powered Speaker

Behringer B415DSP 15" Powered Speaker

Behringer B412DSP 12" Powered Speaker

Subs

Mackie TH18s 18" Powered Sub

JBL JRX118SP 18" Powered Subs

Would you recommend the 12" or 15" mains on top of these subs?

If i am way off track please let me know!

• Members

I am in the process of purchasing a NEW PA system for my band. I am very new to this side of music so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are a country cover/original band.

Below is the setup that I am looking at:

Yahmaha MG166CX Mixer

Mains

Either of the following:

Mackie TH15A 15" Powered Speaker

Behringer B415DSP 15" Powered Speaker

Behringer B412DSP 12" Powered Speaker

Subs

Mackie TH18s 18" Powered Sub

JBL JRX118SP 18" Powered Subs

Would you recommend the 12" or 15" mains on top of these subs?

If i am way off track please let me know!

The mixer is a good, reliable choice. Yep, that's a pretty good mixer. :)

Al - Party-time! DJ Services

• Members

Might I suggest Peavey PR12D over PV118D? I do have a pair of the 'ringer B412DSP's and they are great - but good luck getting them repaired if they break. Same thing with the Mackie - they aren't stable these days and are Chinese owned. Peavey has a great service network. I also have a pair of the PR12D's and they weigh less than half the 'ringers :love:. JRX is firewood grade crap that sounds like arse. Those Mackies are their bottom end stuff (used to be sold under the Tapco name so's not to sully the Mackie name :freak:) - don't know how they sound.

• Members

For the Mackie Thump top/sub combo you could get a pair of JBL PRX 512s, QSC HPRI 122s, or Yorkville NXP 55s. You could add the subs later.

Most on here won't recommend the speakers and subs you listed. But, maybe they will work for your application. In the long run, I think you're better off buying higher quality stuff the first time.

• Members

Mackie Thumps and Behringers = :facepalm:

Better to spend your money wisely... IE; Buy once, cry once.

If you're in the Northeast, I'm selling a pair of QSC HPR153 tops for $1250. Basically the cost of a single good powered PA speaker. Couple that with a pair of subs, and you'll be rockin' good.

-Look at the QSC K12's over KSub's

-JBL PRX512 over PRX718's

- The new Turbosound Milan's look interesting, and people that heard them at NAMM say they sounded good.

- EV ZXA series are very nice as well.

- Yorkville NX55p over LS720p

You'll be MUCH happier with the end result.

That Yammie board is a good cheap choice...

• Members

the main use for this system will be acoustic shows inside small bars/rest./smaller venues....does that help? playing country....

Yah, you definitely don't need those loud but heavy 'ringers. The Peavey/Peavey or Titan/Flash will do yah fine. If you're not putting bass or kick drum through the PA you don't need the subs.

Where you at BTW? Maybe you're near someone here who could give you a listen to somethin'.

• Members

Are yah sleep typin' agin? Read the thread from the top
:lol:

I did. :)

My wife often says I'm a "Funny {censored}". (in a funny - nice way of course) She couldn't be more righter. :cool:

At this time, I would like to officially recommend the Titan 12 active and Proel Flash 15 SA combo which is ultra lightweight, high performance and very affordable.

Al :thu:

• Members

One thing I would reccomend if you consider the QSC's or the PRX series of powered speakers is to buy the same brand of speakers and subs. When I rent my HPR122i's to some friends that have the PRX 518 subs there is something odd going on. My Guess is that the two companies use different processing. It's noticeable at high volume. Well I notice it anyway. Its just wierd to my ears. It may also be the nodes of the room as both times its been the same place. Went there last night and they had their PRX tops back and it sounded great. Really wierd thing is that they play LOUD and I take foam ear plugs with me and its even more noticeable with them in.

Archived