• Members

I like the production of the HT show. I was waiting to see if Roger was going to do the scream in Wont Get Fooled Again. The scream was recorded but it was still great. The fact that they set that stage and broke it down so quickly was pretty amazing.

• Members

The show was great. The Who sounded their age, but that's okay with me. Lasers + LED Stage = Awesome. Five minutes to setup, five minutes to tear down... lots of guys with, "your job is to plug in that cable" kind of assignments. Really good from a production standpoint.

• Members

The light show was "KILLER". Scanners in the stands, lasers, fog, LED stage, pyrotechnics,,,wow. I cringed a lot through the vocals though.

I thought the mix for the Steve Winwood performance before the game, was dreadful. It sounded thin/shallow and poorly balanced. Good band though.

Queen Latifah had her problems too, with her in-ear monitor. She quickly ripped that out of her ear.

• Members

The light show was "KILLER". Scanners in the stands, lasers, fog, LED stage, pyrotechnics,,,wow. I cringed a lot through the vocals though.

I thought the mix for the Steve Winwood performance before the game, was dreadful. It sounded thin/shallow and poorly balanced. Good band though.

Queen Latifah had her problems too, with her in-ear monitor. She quickly ripped that out of her ear.

I thought the pre-game Winwood vocals were bad news. The precussion and band was killer though! So damn funky and it was mixed perfectly.

The pregame Latifah was forgettable I guess. It's interesting how many pro's still don't like the isolation of in ears at times and need to pull them out.

Carrie underwood is smokin hot!!! She sounded great and I was proud she did it with NO backing tracks... She WAS a little pitchy there at the very end. {censored} happens?!

Halftime... Hmm. I've watched The Who several times on DVD's and some HD concerts. It's no secret they've lost thier vocal ability. That happens and it doesn't take away from thier talent.

Did anyone notice at the very end, when they all went to hit thier last note, someone must have muted the drums too early... He goes to hit the big last note and it's silent!!! OPPS!

• Members

Halftime... Hmm. I've watched The Who several times on DVD's and some HD concerts. It's no secret they've lost thier vocal ability. That happens and it doesn't take away from thier talent.

No it doesn't take away from their talent but it sure takes away from their performance. I thought the vocals made the whole thing painful to watch.

JP

• Members

halftime was pretty awesome, i was stoked to see the who. very nice lighting, fireworks behind (who is the drummer?) was pretty goosebumpy too. i was surprised to see 3 overheads (although it worked great) and the angle on the guitar vox was weird as well as i was surprised to see beta58's on vox. i wonder if shure provided mics? looked like 98's on toms maybe?

overall good game, could have gone either way really. it was exciting up till it was over, although i thought indy was gonna win.

also the guitar was too hot, not enough kick or bass but due to sheer nightmare involved i think the mix folks did very well.

• Members

halftime was pretty awesome, i was stoked to see the who. very nice lighting, fireworks behind (who is the drummer?) was pretty goosebumpy too. i was surprised to see 3 overheads (although it worked great) and the angle on the guitar vox was weird as well as i was surprised to see beta58's on vox. i wonder if shure provided mics? looked like 98's on toms maybe?

overall good game, could have gone either way really. it was exciting up till it was over, although i thought indy was gonna win.

also the guitar was too hot, not enough kick or bass but due to sheer nightmare involved i think the mix folks did
very
well.

Drummer is Zakk Starkey (sp?)... He is Ringo Starrs son. Good, solid drummer... Crazy painted cymbals and his DW Acrylic kit sounded nice!

• Members

Drummer is Zakk Starkey (sp?)... He is Ringo Starrs son. Good, solid drummer...
Crazy painted cymbals and his DW Acrylic kit sounded nice!

no arguement there, i was all excited to hear pinball wizard and it turned into a medley, not a fan of medleys although i knew every song except the one from quadraphenia (feel me touch me intro to wont get fooled again, dont know the name to that one - correct me if i am wrong but that was quadraphenia right?)

the folks i was with thought it was taped although i am quite certain it WAS NOT A TAPE. i was pretty adamant they played, it sounded like live music to me.

latifah im not sure about, i think she sang but i think her choir was a tape. way too rich and full sounding with (NO MICS?)

banner was laughable at the last note, i kinda felt bad for her at least it was real. also too much plosives and ESSing.

• Members

Yeah, Latifah's choir was no doubt tracked. I didn't see a single mic and I can imagine the feeback issues in a stadium like that. Especially since it's not setup for a concert!

Just the production that goes into the whole thing alone is enough to impress me. Pretty damn mind blowing! I'd like to know the behind the scenes info. A few times during the The Who's performance I thought I saw some mis-matched drum beats going on. At one point I was told most everything, especially mic'd instruments are tracked and mic'd to look live. This year, it was very hard to tell what was up!?

• Members

Yeah I saw those missed beats but from what Ive read its all basicly tracks now. Ive been googling to fnd out for myself but no luck yet.

That's what I've read in the past. Something saying that it's just too damn difficult to pull this off live... and that it needs to be perfect! Only problem is, in years past I've been able to tell it's fake/real. This year, it looked somewhat live?!?

I just can't imagine the crazyness! Even through rehersals and soundchecks... You wouldn't get a line check I'm guessing... so cross your fingers! And, with the stadium not setup to do a concert, everything would be a pain in the ass. It's GOTTA be fake!?! I wish I knew!?

• Members

it was nowhere near perfect at all. i've watched a couple times now, and while the scream likely was a sample, they played live. the sync issues must be area related because what i saw was perfectly in sync, and i have watched it again - and again in perfect sync. no dropouts, no delay, quite a few clams on the guitar playing. LIVE.

• Members

it was nowhere near perfect at all. i've watched a couple times now, and while the scream likely was a sample, they played live. the sync issues must be area related because what i saw was perfectly in sync, and i have watched it again - and again in perfect sync. no dropouts, no delay, quite a few clams on the guitar playing. LIVE.

Did you see the very end? The last final note? Where the drummer goes to hit the snare and kick and there's NO sound?

I've also watched in several times and have been texting some buddies and they all noticed that as well. It did sound live.. so they're either playing live or they've gotten really good at making it seem live!

I wonder how it sounds in the stadium? With no REAL concery PA, i'm sure it can't be too good. Even at the few NFL stadiums I've been too, the in house systems are not cut out to do live sound very well.

• Members

i just watched the ending again, i can hear the snare for sure if not snare and kick but only through another mic. listen close, you can definitely hear it. my guess is they turned those mics off too early. there is no way they made a taped performance as sloppy as it was (no offense who, i liked it). i aint buyin it, they played that show.

• Members

Sounded pretty {censored}ty to me,,, I say "Live".

I don't think Queen Latifa's IEM problem had anything to do with her not being used to IEM's either. Did you see the pained expression on her face just before she yanked it out? Someone probably almost blew her eardrum out. Her head jerked, and she pulled that thing out as quick as could be.

If anyone has Winwoods' performance recorded, listen for any bass,,,, there is none. Sounded flat. Vocal levels were off too. Harmony was totally unbalanced.

• CMS Author

Production - outstanding visuals, very good mix except the entire last song and the ending.

Performance - Sorry guys, I'm a fan of The Who (what bassist isn't?) but that was a perfect example of why the best go out on top. If they weren't legends and auditioned with that performance, they'd be laughed out of the place. I'm only talking reality....believe me, I wish Daltry could hit the high notes and Townsend could do the stage gymnastics.

But didn't the bassist look a bit like Entwistle? I did a double-take.

• Members

Upon further review.. I'd say at the very least, the band is all tracks. It seems townsends guitar is live as are the vocals... But between seeing a few tiny notes missed..(could be a gate set to hard?) and also not seeing any kick drum mics.. I'd say there was some tracking going on.. which is in line with what I've always been told?

Also, on the Beta98's they used on toms, I don't see any wiring. I see the cord coming out of the capsule, but don't see it going anywhere. I know they probably make it look really clean but damn! It's hard to hide those big adapters that tap into XLR!?!

• CMS Author

Upon further review.. I'd say at the very least, the band is all tracks. It seems townsends guitar is live as are the vocals... But between seeing a few tiny notes missed..(could be a gate set to hard?) and also not seeing any kick drum mics.. I'd say there was some tracking going on.. which is in line with what I've always been told?

Also, on the Beta98's they used on toms, I don't see any wiring. I see the cord coming out of the capsule, but don't see it going anywhere. I know they probably make it look really clean but damn! It's hard to hide those big adapters that tap into XLR!?!

Kick mic's could be internal and even with the clear drums can be tough to see, especially with the quick camera editing they used.

Archived