two ls700p vs ls801p

• Members

I've owned both (LS700P and LS800P) but it's been a couple years since selling my Yorkville gear and going with some lighter weight RCF components.

Both subs are great. The LS700P is bit more punchier and clearer than the LS800P, while the LS800P went lower and louder. I don't remember which Yorkie top I used with the LS700P, but I used the Yorkie EF500P with the LS800P and it was a great match. It's probably one of the most popular combos among HC members. It was rare when it happened, but the EF500P ran out of gas before the LS800P. I think the EF500Ps could outrun the 700Ps if you were pushing the system to the max.

The 700P is more compact than the 800P if cargo space is limited. If you go w/ 700Ps and plan to mount your tops on a pole affixed to the sub, you'll want to pick up a set of Yorkville speaker poles because they're much longer than your standard poles. If you go w/ the 800P, pretty much any speaker pole will work.

The only negative thing I can say about either one is that the power cord for the 700P is hard-wired. It's not a detachable powercon or IEC connection. It doesn't bother some folks, but I didn't like it. It's got to be 8 years or so since I owned the 700Ps so maybe they've changed it to something else by now.

• Members

I too have moved on to RCF, but used to run Yorkville and I still own the 700P's and a NX55P tops. We also used a sound company that had 808's, the passive version of the 801P. I agree with everything said by "jgthatsme".

The 700P's and my RCF 705AS subs are comparable in sound output and frequency response and almost identical in size. The difference is the 700P is no frills. Along with the annoying hard wired cable, it also lacks a "real crossover", clip or limit indicators, XLR input, phase switch. Expect to need a real crossover to use either to their potential.

If you've not heard it yet, go check out the JBL 718S. I've not heard them but, on paper they are impressive. Low, loud, light. You can usually get 2 of the 3. This may be the only sub that does all 3 and is within reach of "the masses" price wise. I'm going to try and take my RCF's somewhere that has them and A/B sometime. If the JBL's can truly go 10 dB lower, and I have my doubts, I'd consider replacing my RCF's (probably sell the Yorkies and keep the RCF's actually). They are about 15 lbs lighter than th RCF 705AS and Yorkville LS700P too.

• Members

guys what i was trying to put to rest is the notion that one ls801p will blow away two coupled ls700ps. i was trying find anyone on here who have A/B both units and thus can make an educated comparison as oppose to just repeating what they've heard or read.

• Members

guys what i was trying to put to rest is the notion that one ls801p will blow away two coupled ls700ps. i was trying find anyone on here who have A/B both units and thus can make an educated comparison as oppose to just repeating what they've heard or read.

While I've not directly A/B'd this set up, IMO no. The 700P has surprising output that surpasses a lot of 15 and 18 subs I've heard. The 800/801 is an OK sub and a good value, but it's not magic. It may go a bit lower, but 1 does not equal 2 of the LS700P's in terms of sheer SPL.

• Members

According to Yorkville, both the LS700p and the LS801p will go down to 45Hz (+/-3dB). The LS700p has a MAX SPL of 131dB, while the 801 has a Max SPL of 134 dB.

On "paper" if you double your power and double the enclosure you gain 5/6 db's in output if they are closer than 1/4 wavelength apart. With a subs think closer than 2.5 feet or so. Two placed in the center as an example.

So again on paper 2 LS700p's would be in the 136db output range. Which would be 2db's or so louder than the LS801p. Now at what freq. the max output is at is not stated. So the Ls801p may be its loudest at 80hz while the LS700p may be at its loudest at 110hz. Just something to keep in mind.

Dookietwo

• Members

My guess is they would be pretty close in maximum possible output with the LS801P having more of the deep bass and the two 700Ps being more puchy. I've used both subs, but have never heard a pair of 700Ps coupled... I feel the 800P has more output below 80hz than the 700P. The 801P still comes out a better bargain if you can manage it.

Al

• Members

Al, rent another ls700p sub, couple them, crossover at 90hz, and you will notice they go lower and sound much better than you would think.

I've always liked my LS700P. It produces enough SPL to keep up with any of my tops for pre-recorded music and I can carry it by myself. But when I tested the LS800P, it seems to me that I felt those deeper frequencies much more that with my 700P. Maybe it was the location, but if you were to put both subs one next to the other - Imy guess is that the 800P produces much more energy than the 700P at lower frequencies 50-70 hz for example. With the 700P, what probably happens is that the 100hz response is so much louder than the 50hz, that the sub ends up sounding more punchy than deep. I haven't tried coupled 700Ps though, so I may be wrong. My point was that for its SPL and price, the 800P is very tough to beat.

Al

• Members

the main reason for my question is i've been reading on this forum and many people have said that one ls800p would blow away two coupled ls700ps.we always wondered if any of those people A/B both of those subs.we A/B BOTH SUBS and all i can say is people better test things before they talk.

• Members

I would agree the 801 will make louder boom at the lower frequencies. I don't care what it says on paper, the 700 doesn't put out much of anything below 50 and doesn't really come alive until 60. It has 2 peaks, likely due to the bandpass design. I think the peaks are in the upper 70's and again in the lower 100's. Crossed and 90 and a small bump in the eq around 50 and they can be made to sound bigger than they are. This happens at the expense of output though as you're moving things into ranges where the box isn't at its most efficient. You also have to be careful about the box tuning and can't expect it thump down in the 45-50 range. I mainly just wanted to get all that 100-150 Hz out of it so it didn't bleed midbass so much.

• CMS Author

the main reason for my question is i've been reading on this forum and many people have said that one ls800p would blow away two coupled ls700ps.we always wondered if any of those people A/B both of those subs.we A/B BOTH SUBS and all i can say is people better test things before they talk.

Can you quote the "many people"'s posts making that claiim? It helps to see the posts and the context in which they were written. There may be other circumstances around what they wrote that could explain it.

• Members

I think I made a comment stating that it would take 3 LS700P or 4 LS720Ps to best the LS800P in terms of output. This may seem far fetched to some, but IMO it takes at least 2 of either LS700P or LS720P to match the 800P in output, so really it would take more than that to actually produce a significant perceivable difference in output. I pretty much stand by my statement - which was made to illustrate that it would take multiples of either 700P or 720P to better the LS800P. If you calculate four LS720Ps together, 128DB X 4, you`re looking at roughly 134 DBs + a few extras dbs for the coupling effect - let`s say a total of 137dbs. This is a difference of 3DBs over what a single LS800P can do - which will be just perceivable to most people. You will bebefit from a lower freq. response due to the coupling and maybe a tighter less boomy sound BUT the cost however, is about 3 X as much. That was my point...

It is kind of hard to imagine that a pair of LS720Ps (TWO 15" woofers) cannot quite put out as much as a single 18", BUT I think the size of the cabinet makes a very big difference in this case. I was much more impressed with the output of the LS800P than the 720P. The 720P was rather whimpy by itself in comparison to the LS800P which shook the place up without limiting once. (I had no probleme getting the 720P to limit when I used one with my NX55Ps) That is my experince however, which is rather limited with these two subs... My calculations of SPL after coupling may not be exact as well, so feel free to correct me.

Al

• Members

I too have moved on to RCF, but used to run Yorkville and I still own the 700P's and a NX55P tops. We also used a sound company that had 808's, the passive version of the 801P. I agree with everything said by "jgthatsme".

The 700P's and my RCF 705AS subs are comparable in sound output and frequency response and almost identical in size. The difference is the 700P is no frills. Along with the annoying hard wired cable, it also lacks a "real crossover", clip or limit indicators, XLR input, phase switch. Expect to need a real crossover to use either to their potential.

If you've not heard it yet, go check out the JBL 718S. I've not heard them but, on paper they are impressive. Low, loud, light. You can usually get 2 of the 3. This may be the only sub that does all 3 and is within reach of "the masses" price wise. I'm going to try and take my RCF's somewhere that has them and A/B sometime. If the JBL's can truly go 10 dB lower, and I have my doubts, I'd consider replacing my RCF's (probably sell the Yorkies and keep the RCF's actually). They are about 15 lbs lighter than th RCF 705AS and Yorkville LS700P too.

The PRX 718s is light, probably low, and awkward for me to handle because of the size. A comparison with your RCF's 705s? if I remember correctly would be interesting. The 718s may not be much better. I did have a PRX718 that I compared with a 720s. I used this song

through some RCF NX 12 m tops and alternated the 2 subs. The very slight increase in volume I noticed didnt warrant the extra cost and size over the 720s for me. That said, the PRX718 has been represented as a powered version of the SRX 718 by some on this forum. That is not my opinion, although I may have had a faulty PRX718.

• Members

The PRX 718s is light, probably low, and awkward for me to handle because of the size. A comparison with your RCF's 705s? if I remember correctly would be interesting. The 718s may not be much better. I did have a PRX718 that I compared with a 720s. I used this song

through some RCF NX 12 m tops and alternated the 2 subs. The very slight increase in volume I noticed didnt warrant the extra cost and size over the 720s for me. That said, the PRX718 has been represented as a powered version of the SRX 718 by some on this forum. That is not my opinion, although I may have had a faulty PRX718.

Depends how you A/B'd. You'd need to take them both up to clip to truly tell volume. Otherwise, all you're doing is comparing the input sensitivities of the amps in the subs. For instance, the RCF's I own have to have the snot driven out of them to make boom compared to the Yorkville ES700P's I own.

I'm more interested in if the 718 goes lower than my RCF (truly and not just on paper).

As for the MRX isn't an SRX, that's true, but the 718 is an upgrade from the 518. I think I read it's very similar to the new powered VRX, but with a cheaper enclosure and is not flyable. I'm not sure about this though.

• Members
Depends how you A/B'd. You'd need to take them both up to clip to truly tell volume. Otherwise, all you're doing is comparing the input sensitivities of the amps in the subs. For instance, the RCF's I own have to have the snot driven out of them to make boom compared to the Yorkville ES700P's I own.

Red clip light on JBL and green clip light on Yorkie were both flashing, didnt try and push either of them up further in volume, is that what you were meaning and the way you would do it

• Members

MRX not SRX AFAIK.

PRX518 = powered MRX518

PRX718 has the same driver as the VRX918. The 718 should be considerably better then the 518.

I personally like the MRX/PRX518. I find them to sound a little cleaner and lower then the 720. The 718 should be able to blow the 720 out of the water. I have not had enough time to play with the 718 to figure exactly what it does and does not do. I do know that I was never impressed with the 720.

• Members

Yorkville uses a GREEN clip light? I don't think so.

Hopefully he wuz talkin' 'bout the LIMIT lights - yellow on the Yorkie, red on the Jblo. The Yorkie also has a red CLIP light, the Jblo doesn't have a clip light at all.

http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/manuals/omls720p.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=828&doctype=3

• Members

Hopefully he wuz talkin' 'bout the LIMIT lights - yellow on the Yorkie, red on the Jblo. The Yorkie also has a red CLIP light, the Jblo doesn't have a clip light at all.

http://www.yorkville.com/downloads/manuals/omls720p.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=828&doctype=3

Thank you, yellow limit light for the Yorkie and red overload for the JBL would have described it correctly. :(

Archived