Powered Sub setup advice

• Members

I rented a Yorkville LS720 pwopered sub last night for use with my 2 x 15" JBL 515's. JBL says to put the Eons in the cut position when doing so. Did not like it as much as when w ran full range in the flat position. All I want to do is add the real low frequency to the sequence band. I forget the frtequency setting on the back of the York...but dials were sert at about 10:00 per rental companys suggested

• Members

The frequency setting on the sub is goofy. Not sure why Yorkville made the speakers work like that, but you'll never really know what you're passing them at unless you use an external crossover. The "knob" doesn't really do all that much IMO, and sometimes does the opposite of what you'd think. On my 700P's, I got more 150 Hz when down all the way than when the knob was turned fully clockwise.

Sounds like you like more midbass. Usually it doesn't sound good to have a small sub and 2x15's in a mains speaker. That's a whole lot of 80-150Hz and you'd usually cut the mains, but it that's what sounds best you're not breaking any laws.

• Members

Thanks. We play mostly restaurants. I think I just like the sound of everything coming out of one speaker box. I've bought and sold sub systems before. A friend actually suggested just buying another Eon and putting it on the floor as you would a sub. When I play out with the full range...very very minor adjustments are needed. I can already see the need to make significant EQ changes if I use a sub. I also wonder if I ran the JBL's in the flat position and just targeted the breal lows for the sub how that would sound...

• Members

Rumosrband,

I don't see any problems with running your tops full-range, if it sounds good. The only time you might need to cut the lows to the tops, is if you're running at high volume, bumping the limiters. By cutting the lows to the tops, you'll have more room to manouvre/more volume capability.

• Members

Rumosrband,

I don't see any problems with running your tops full-range, if it sounds good. The only time you might need to cut the lows to the tops, is if you're running at high volume, bumping the limiters. By cutting the lows to the tops, you'll have more room to manouvre/more volume capability.

The problem is if the big low mid bump from doing this causes feedback or other undesireable issues. Personally I don't like the sound, to DJ-esque for my tastes.

Also using a horn loaded sub with a front loaded top and overlapping will cause a heck of a dip where the path length time offset creates a fairly wide notch in the low end response (depending on the length of the horn). Also, polarity matters even more when overlapping bands.

• Members

The problem is if the big low mid bump from doing this causes feedback or other undesireable issues. Personally I don't like the sound, to DJ-esque for my tastes.

Also using a horn loaded sub with a front loaded top and overlapping will cause a heck of a dip where the path length time offset creates a fairly wide notch in the low end response (depending on the length of the horn). Also, polarity matters even more when overlapping bands.

Feedback possibility would only occur if he was operating at higher volumes, wouldn't it? I take it that he's operating at fairly low volumes, since he said "restaurant". At higher volumes, he'd use the HPF on the Eons, and send the lows to the sub.

The LS720 is a front-loaded sub, isn't it.

• Members

I guess what I'm really trying to do is this: If 15's don't go well with a sub:

Sell my EONS and buy 2x12" tops that would give me enough bottom to leave the sub home in the smaller venues. I know the K's have deep mode in the back. Then when I need the sub just enough to add that little bit more bass without getting the nasty overtones that I hate so much.

• CMS Author

If you mean "two 1x12" mid-highs, or even "two 1x15" mid-highs, then yes, that *could* be a good solution. It'll be lighter, easier to raise the speakers above head height, and easier to transport. 2x15's are typically used where you don't have subs, or for new kids who are easily impressed by a larger cabinet.

• Members

Well If I go with a sub and sell my 15's I'd like to get the same for the tops and sub. I have been considering the following:

2 JBL PRX 512's and 1 PRX 518

2 Yorkville NX55P's and 1 NX720

2 QSC K12's and 1 K Sub

In all instances I want the 12" speakers to be able to replace my 15" JBL 515's. I wouldn't ecxpect them to get down as low as the 15" however the Yorkvilles sounded like they sure did.

• Members

I am a big PRX fan but any of those systems would work.

Others here might be able to comment on which YorKville sub will match better to a pair of NX55Ps.

I might consider a PRX718 with a pair of 512s.

The QSC stuff sounds good but the width of the sub really bugs me. Would you mount one 12

• Members

Well today i did my last test. 1 JBL Eon 515 with a 518S Sub versus 1 K12 with the K sub. All I can say is. The K 12 is very nice... sonds better than my 515 Eon. The 518 sub was surpisingly clear and the notes were well defined. The K sub is loud.. and thats about all I can say about it... A mush of undefined tones... I knwo you're supposed to feel the subtones.. and I did... but it sure didn't maake me feel very good.

• Members

Well today i did my last test. 1 JBL Eon 515 with a 518S Sub versus 1 K12 with the K sub. All I can say is. The K 12 is very nice... sonds better than my 515 Eon. The 518 sub was surpisingly clear and the notes were well defined. The K sub is loud.. and thats about all I can say about it... A mush of undefined tones... I knwo you're supposed to feel the subtones.. and I did... but it sure didn't maake me feel very good.

No problem mixing and matching sub/mains.

• Members

For giggles, I just put one 515 on the stick and put the other on the floor. I put the boost on the floor speaker and left the top speaker on flat. I then turned down the volume on the top speaker and got a nice level out of the floor speaker and then brought up the tops. It actually sounded really really good. The bass boost on the floor added a nice thud, and the notes were still well defined. I'm not too concerned about also boosting the highs because a couple of sets of knees on the dance floor will mute that out. Maybe I'll just buy another 515.

• Members

Sold my eons and bought 2 NX55P's. I really "wanted to like" The K series, but I didn't. I think the Yorkville is cleaner, tighter, and throws better. I will add a sub if I need to. Someone at another post suggested Proel products as being lightweight, good quality and inexpensive. Anyone have any opinions on that>

• Members

Never heard the Proel's, but the the small band pass subs I own will more than keep up with my old pair of NX550P's so I'd guess the Proels would be a good cheap fit. You mention adding "a sub" though. 1 will make a difference, but 2 would be practical for a full band. I can't see one keeping up with a pair of tops when run hard.

• Members

.......... Anyone listened to the KSub with 2x12's in it?

I own a QSC front end with 2 K12's above a couple of k-subs. In a medium sized dance hall they will put a thump in your chest that is clear and clean and felt. I am very impressed with these and would recommend this set up to anyone. I have demoed the NX720s subs before I bought, and thought the sound and output of the Ksub's was tighter and had more chest thump. I have been pleasantly surprised how the Ksub's are really solid even with the K12's pole mounted on top and have had no concerns of an "incident" so far. I actually had bought separate stands for the K12's but have found I hardly ever use them as I always pole mount on top of the Ksub.

I also own 4 Yorkville NX55P boxes that I find do a great job as monitors. They are not as clear as the K12's on the front end, at least to my ears, particularly at higher spl.

I use these for live as well as a few iPod mixed gigs.

Little things I like about the Ksub's are the 4 wheels, the taller stance, the top pole mount for the K12's, the changeable status for the front led light that you can set to see potential limiting (which I have seen only once with a guy running a cranked iPod and cranked PA), the great covers, and just how easy they are to hook up and use.

Totally happy with my purchase.

Pax

Archived