Lighting afterthought

• Members

Lighting is not really within reach right now..but when the time comes and I will be in the market for it, I want something very inexpensive and on stands...no trusses. What can you recommend in the $3-400.00 range?

This is one I'm looking at for much later down the road.

http://www.stagelightingstore.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a010c551f43ac4fa9094c5e4d2ab85f8bc2239f3771.e3eSc38RbhuLe34Pa38Ta38MaNj0?it=A&id=5558&sc=25&category=62265

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Members

*one* of these would be in your range - packs down into a tiny case, LEDs last longer, makes no heat, doesn't gobble power, more color options, includes the tripod and foot controller - check out the 5 photos at the top:

Our former keyboardist bought a pair of these. Although they put out a ton of light, they were not assembled very well. About half of the screws were split from the plastic bosses holding the front to the back of each light.

Other than that, they were a great deal with plenty of features.

mike

• Members

I was going to say the same thing about the 4 bars. I've not seen them, but had considered buying. I then started reading reviews and there are many out there that are disappointed in the build quality. If you're playing 1-2 times a month, then maybe it's a reasonable solution. If you're 4+ and, or have to have reliable lighting (non-bar type gigs) look elsewhere. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on 1W LED par cans myself. We've been using colorsplash 196's since the week they were release (maybe 4 years ago?). They are OK, but nothing outstanding as far as output.

We use colorstrips for backlighting. OK for that, but a couple wouldn't sufficiently light up a 4-5 pc band. Just not bright enough for that.

I have one of the LED Rain 56's that I use as a spotlight once and a while. They are fairly bright, but also not a very wide beam. On small stages they won't get far enough away from the band.

• Members

I've just recently started getting into lighting. Picked up a few fixtures a couple of weekends ago.

I'm going to go with a 10' truss on supposedly heavy-duty crank-stands, and two separate 10' stands w/ 4 fixture T-bars Same concept as the Chauvet 4Bars, but taller/ more robust.

I picked up a few LEDRains, some dance-floor lights for "break music" and the odd DJ thing(MiracLED and a Quinta-X), an FS-2 laser, a 16" mirror-ball w/ two 6 degree LED pin-spots, and a couple of filament 56 Par Cans. This week I'm picking up three relay packs for the stands/trusses, and I bought a Chauvet Obey 40 DMX controller. I may pick up a second laser as well; an FS-4, and a Chauvet switch-box.

I'll be visiting my dealer on Monday, and I'll probably be picking up some more LEDRains if he has any left. I'd like to go with 12 of those for the time being. I can get those "used" from his rental shop, for roughly $60. a piece. He guarantees them too. Hopefully, he'll have some Bastard Amber Gels as well.

Down the road a few months, I'd like to pick up a follow-spot or two. Piece-by-piece, it'll get there.

• Members

I didn't really intend to go deep into the lighting thing. we are having enough time trying to get the audio portion of the show in place. If we are to pick up any kind of lighting devices, we want to keep it real simple. Just enough to light the band on stage and that's it. Any more than that is just overkill for us. We are trying to be a small venue PA rental provider. Nothing real elaborate for large outdoor gigs or stadiums. Just enough to fill the void that lies dormant in our area. We know we need some kind of lighting for ambiance. In actuality, we were thinking of trying to hook up with a lighting guy if there are any in our area and see if we could do some partnership gigs. That would be fun. I have enough to think about running sound letting alone lighting which I don't think my wife would be too pleased to get involved with. I have enough of a hard time trying to get her to come to gigs to help. We are the business partners, too. Trying to get her to drag along is like trying to convince someone to pull their good teeth from their head. LOL

• Members

Since our keyboardist left, we have not yet had the finances to get any lights. We've been fine because the places we play have decent stage lighting.

However, at our last gig, the stage tends to be a bit darker. We purchased a couple colored CFL bulbs, from Menards, and a couple of reflector bases.

They certainly were bright and washed the stage just fine. In fact, they were almost too bright. $20 for the whole setup.

Also, these weren't the cheap bulbs that tended to give a hint of color. These things put out some very deep colors.

mike

Archived