Help with setup

• Members

I'm setting up the sound for a relatively large venue & I'm not sure the best way to do it. The equipment we have available is:

Yamaha EMX 660

Soundcraft Spirit Folio 12 2 Mixing Desk

6xS112V Yamaha passive speakers

Passive standard floor monitor

An old Vox PA mixer/amp

I'm planning to use 4 of the Yamaha speakers for the main PA speakers then two for monitoring along with the monitor. I also have a few powered keyboard amps we could use. My plan is to mic up everything, put it into the 12 channel mixing desk then take it through the Yamaha power amps, one for the monitoring and one and for main speakers. Is there any better way?

• Members

I'm not sure what's a "Passive Standard floor monitor" or "an old Vox PA mixer/amp", but here's what I'd do:

I'd use the EMX660 and 4 S112V, two for FOH, two for monitoring. Bass amp handles bass, guitar amp handles guitar. Mic vocals only, maybe put a bit of keys on PA too...

If you've got a condenser mic, use it to pick some drums...

And that's it...

• Members

I'm setting up the sound for a relatively large venue & I'm not sure the best way to do it.

Define "relatively large venue".

20?

200?

2,000?

20,000?

200,000?

Somewhere between the first and second there's a point where it would be better to talk to a SR provider. With managed expectations and managed stage volumes you might pull it off with the equipment you've got for up to around fifty people. No offence intended, but it sounds like you're cobbling this together with duct tape and prayer with somewhat of a lack of experience. Perhaps someone local to you might be able to offer some real world assistance rather than speculating based on a vague equipment list online?

Archived