Karaoke Speaker - stage monitor/Bose/Polk...

• Members

I have read numerous posts about speakers. I understand that 15" PA

speaker performs best for Karaoke. But my concern is,

1) they are too expensive for my budget

2) they are too heavy and big for home use in my opinion

I post it in this board to see if there is anyone has real experience using

smaller HiFi speaker or stage monitor for home Karaoke and can give me some

advice.

Right now I have Yamaha MG102C/Lexicon MX-200/Phonic Powerpack 408 PA

package with 10" stage monitor. I recently auditioned a friend's similar

setup. He has Denon Receiver and Bose 301 speakers. It sounds better.

So looking to replace Phonic PA package with new speakers hook to my Onkyo

receiver, my research narrowed down the list to,

1) Bose 301, 2 2" tweeter, 8 inch woofer

2) Polk RTi A1, 1 1" tweeter, 5 1/4" woofer

3) Energy RC 10, 1 1" tweeter, 5 1/2" woofer

4) Paradigm Mini Monitor, 1 1" tweeter, 6 1/2" woofer

Any suggestions are welcome.

• Members

The liklihood of destroying a home stereo speaker is infinitely higher than one designed for live audio use.

The Karaoke forums is NOT a place that I would look to for advice regarding real live audio solutions. Lots of hinky attempts at the cheapest solution though.

• Members

The liklihood of destroying a home stereo speaker is infinitely higher than one designed for live audio use.

The Karaoke forums is NOT a place that I would look to for advice regarding real live audio solutions
. Lots of hinky attempts at the cheapest solution though.

I just read a few threads over there about speakers and "underpowering" and also one guy using 12 Bose home stereo cubes for his karaoke system... :facepalm: Entertaining, but sad and pretty annoying to read at the same time. :mad:

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

I have read numerous posts about speakers. I understand that 15" PA

speaker performs best for Karaoke. But my concern is,

1) they are too expensive for my budget

2) they are too heavy and big for home use in my opinion

I post it in this board to see if there is anyone has real experience using

smaller HiFi speaker or stage monitor for home Karaoke and can give me some

advice.

Right now I have Yamaha MG102C/Lexicon MX-200/Phonic Powerpack 408 PA

package with 10" stage monitor. I recently auditioned a friend's similar

setup. He has Denon Receiver and Bose 301 speakers. It sounds better.

So looking to replace Phonic PA package with new speakers hook to my Onkyo

receiver, my research narrowed down the list to,

1) Bose 301, 2 2" tweeter, 8 inch woofer

2) Polk RTi A1, 1 1" tweeter, 5 1/4" woofer

3) Energy RC 10, 1 1" tweeter, 5 1/2" woofer

4) Paradigm Mini Monitor, 1 1" tweeter, 6 1/2" woofer

Any suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to the forum. There a a few DJs here and a whole lotta people that really understand live sound. Don

• Members

Singing live, even with programmed music is more then most home stereo cabs can and should be expected to handle. The dynamics of a live voice compared to a pre-recorded compressed track is a huge difference.

Think of a DJ setup. Good DJs carry subs. If they don

• Members

I can truly understand why anything would sound better than the phonic speakers. Do a search for powered speakers, I think you'll find the best value/performance in a quality 12 or 15 box. Al hs some good reviews he's done on some newer boxes. Sell of the powerpod system, 4ch mixer and speakers as a unit and re-coup what you can.

• Members

slw3k,

You're doing this "at home", right????

If so, keep your mixer if you want, but you don't really need it. Get yourself a single powered speaker like a Yorkville NX25p. It has it's own built-in 2 channel mixer (mic and line) as well as output level control, and a 3-band EQ. Probably all you'll ever need unless you really want to rock the house with a subwoofer.

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=22&id=338

First time I ever tried a Karaoke thing, was for a local charity. They had a broken down Karaoke machine with the knobs falling off, and a mic that worked intermitently. I showed up with a single Yorkville NX55p, and the party was transformed. There were probably 40 people there when the Karaoke started, and everyone had a blast. Not a single person present felt that something was missing.(sub). It was loud, and plenty of bottom-end for that application. In fact, I even cranked down the low-end by a few dB.

• Members

Thanks for all the inputs. I just realized how small those bookshelf speakers when compare to even a 10" stage monitor. I agree with you guys they can be easily destroyed. Cross them off my list.

I looked around for 12" powered PA speakers. The only thing falls into this price range is Harbinger. Has anyone had experience with them?

• Members

My two recommendations for powered speakers that offer good sound and performance while being affordable :

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/TITANACTIVE/TITAN12ACTIVE/tabid/181/Default.aspx

The above are roughly 450$ a piece in the US. They are very compact, lightweight and get very loud with a very flexible mixer section as well. They are a little hard to find though.

If you don't mind something a little bigger and heavier but with a little more bottom end, the following is also a very good option at roughly the same price :

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=58&id=362

I own both of these powered cabinets and have no problem recommending either. Let me know if you have any questions. If you want cheaper than that, you're pretty much stuck with Harbinger, Behringer, Tapco, Gemini etc... Both choices above offer better quality and warranty.

*** I just noticed, you do not want to spend too much and have an amplifier. You could connect your amplifier to a set of these for under 500$ :

http://www.frontendaudio.com/Yorkville_YX12_YX_Series_Full_Range_Loudspeaker_p/7388.htm

OR THESE :

http://www.hollywooddj.com/whti12.html

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Thanks for all the inputs. I just realized how small those bookshelf speakers when compare to even a 10" stage monitor. I agree with you guys they can be easily destroyed. Cross them off my list.

I looked around for 12" powered PA speakers. The only thing falls into this price range is Harbinger. Has anyone had experience with them?

What's your budget? For home use perhaps look at a Behringer powered speaker or two like this one. I don't think you'd find many ringing endorsements for using it in a professional application, but it would work for budget home use.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B212D-Active-PA-Speaker-System?sku=620520

• Members

1st off you're using this for karaoke. You need a mixer with effects built in. I don't believe that yamaha board has effects so it will not be the right board for your app.

The powered mixer and speakers are all mono for one, and 2 are very low quality. The best option would be to use some decent small active speakers. EV ZX1 comes to mind. BUT since you're also using them mid-field, what about some quality studio monitors? They sound great at lower volumes, get loud (enough for karaoke), are powered, shielded (for putting next to a tube TV) and (supposed) to sound great.

Maybe pick up some alesis M1 actives and a small mixer with FX?

• Members

Wow, that IS a good price. I wonder if that's "new". The other link I posted included a stand and a mic cable.

ProAudioStar is a bonafide Yorkville dealer btw.

I've bought lots of stuff from him. He's an excellent dealer with the best prices I've found.

Archived